PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tperoda85

Lurker
Dec 23, 2014
Hey guys,
I recently got back into pipe smoking and am building up a rotation. Quick well actually.
I have a brigham 1 dot, butz jumbo, big ben warden, medico varsity, and a capri basket pipe.
I have a bit of money to play with to keep building with tax return season here. I have my eye on a dagner bulldog ... but I'm wondering, being somewhat new to pipe smoking, would i be better served buying a really nice pipe, or dividing that budget into two pipes to keep things growing?
Also, do you guys commit your pipes to a blend or blend type?
Tyler

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Why not hit up something middle of the road, and a MM corn cob to the mix not sure what your budget is and what blends you like?

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
It depends who you are and who you intend to be. Some guys like quantity and variety. Others like high dollar quality and prestige. Another question to ask is, why are you buying pipes? Heavy use, collection and appreciation, a new found way of life or a potentially passing interest? I would seek answers before more pipes. Happy hunting and hopefully smoking.
j/B

tperoda85

Lurker
Dec 23, 2014
Great post! I would say collection and appreciation. I'm not high use, usually average a bowl a day, some days two.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You've got a nice little rotation going now. I would put some money away and start looking at things with prices and qualities you would feel comfortable spending more money on. Once you start getting above the $150 price level the quality of pipe really upticks.

I'm not suggesting that you go for something in the $500-$1,000 range but there some wonderful pipes in the $200 range that anyone would be proud to own.

Welcome aboard and keep us posted on your progress.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
To your second question. I generally dedicate a pipe to a genre, though some pipes are dedicated to a single blend.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
My question would be, how are you on tobacco? Maybe buy a bag of seconds from MM and get a cellar of tobacco going? If you really want a pipe, I have no suggestions there. All of my pipes are estates. I don't have even one pipe worth over $50. Not saying I'm not pleased with what I have. I love them all for different reasons.
Also, I would suggest you dedicate your pipes to certain blends. Especially your English blends. They tend to ghost a pipe pretty well.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
How about Ferndown bark or Ashton xx pebble grain? Since you like to smoke english blends.

It's most around 250 or less. Shop around that's the best way to get pipes due to all store has different price.

Status
Not open for further replies.