Tags:   

What Music With Your Bacci Stash?

(73 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by elduderino
  • Latest reply from lordofthepiperings
  1. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

Music sweet music it's ever changing! Just like your pipe and bacci. I love many varieties of music. From Alternative to Zydeco...literally! My go to is Blues music in all it's dimensions. I listen to Pandora often and CDs and some choice vinyl records.

Lately I get in the mood to smoke with Junior Kimbrough. He's a dark southern swampy bluesman with his own funk and swagger. I sometimes get current with Gary Clarke Jr. I enjoy smoke with these guys most often lately so check them out.

Please give your feedback! Nobody right nor wrong.

Smoke it up,
    Donavan

Edit: Fixed the title/Al (what is "sesh"?) I think you meant "Stash", so I fixed that.

"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?"
    -Hunter S. Thompson.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If I'm straight up relaxing and really in the groove, and not mushing my brain up by staring at the interwebs... it's jazz. Ranges from the classics, to the more current, though I don't like that smooth jazz shite.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

natenice1

Login to Send PM

Old stuff Benny Carter and Bix Biederbecke right now!

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys for the feedback! I feel music and bacci go hand and hand. So please share this topic with your friends and smoke on. It's not topic to get bent on. Just be open to share music with strangers and hope they like it. Further more maybe you can like something new to listen to.

There is no wrong here! Bacci and music 123 go!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

@ trailboss

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. ericthered

ericthered

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since I only smoke outside, the accompanying music rotates between nature sounds, police & fire sirens, train whistles and the carillon of the nearby church.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome, Elduderino.

Here is an ongoing thread on this very topic: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/what-music-are-you-listening-to-right-now

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a very eclectic taste when it comes to my music. While enjoying my pipe in the back yard under trees close to the stream I enjoy Native American Flute.

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. wasatch

wasatch

Login to Send PM

Best case scenario, the river. The Provo river to be exact.

I like blues, outlaw country, and while not music, I also like to listen
    to baseball games.

good thread.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. daimyo

daimyo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lately the Tortoise album Millions Now Living Will Never Die. A great group of musicians put together by the incredible drummer John Herndon, they explore modern music theory often overlooked by traditional musicians. If you give it a listen, make sure to get through the intro, it starts off pretty atmospheric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYatqE7OA1Q

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

collinj

Login to Send PM

Right now, it happens to be a bootlegged Bob Dylan record I picked up a few months ago.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Right now... bowl of C&D Golden Ash, JW Double Black, and Lucky Thompson, "We'll Be Together Again"

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

woopigsooie

Login to Send PM

It's usually it's online poker for me but for music I like Eric Clappton or a soft instramental.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

We have a pretty popular (22 pages), ongoing thread on "What Music Are You Listening To?", check it out.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/what-music-are-you-listening-to-right-now

Al

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a wide range of tastes as I grew up around many varieties and genres. I primarily listen to metal, but when I'm smoking I find myself usually
    listening to stuff from the 80's or older. The other day I was listening to Sinatra and Otis Redding while smoking ... then I listened to Dio and Iron Maiden in the evening.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the house its usually the "Bakersfield" sound or earlier "honky-tonk" with the volume set low enough so as not to distract me from whatever I'm reading. It the near future it will be the sound of my first grandson needing a change, food or just a bit of TLC. I'm really looking forward to those sounds, especially knowing that I can send him home with his parents when I tire of it.

Outside its usually the sounds of nature when I'm behind the lens. Sometimes though, it's the sound of the chainsaw or tractor.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  18. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Today I started with Silly Wizard (greatest Scottish/Irish band ever, the Chieftains can't compare), then Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane, right now Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers "Moanin'".

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always keep some Haydn symphonies is going around my tobacco stash. I find that the tobaccos enjoy the music, and age in a slow and appropriate fashion when they're listening to it.

Eric
    Posted 4 years ago #
  20. wasatch

wasatch

Login to Send PM

"Today I started with Silly Wizard .."---going to check this band out.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. smokeytay33

smokeytay33

Login to Send PM

I either listen to Rat Pack style music (Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Sammy Davis Jr., Michael Buble, etc.) or to Disney music.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney, fellow pipe smoker
    Posted 4 years ago #
  22. pipefish

pipefish

Login to Send PM

Steely Dan/Donald Fagen--them's some good pipe smoking' music! That "Nightfly" album takes me back to a time before I was born where people worried more about nuclear annihilation and Communist expansion than secondhand smoke…plus SD/DF has such a cool jazzy groove to it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A0wGO3c2T8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV3zWSawJiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k1m9TevgJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBruAooXPNU

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. apiperisdown

apiperisdown

Login to Send PM

smokeytay33 ...or to Disney music.

I have one child on the West coast who’s just starting out in Animation, and another enrolled in the Disney College Program on the East. They were raised on everything from Bob Marley to The Little Mermaid I suppose. Safe to say I too have some Disney Tunes in the rotation, or at least floating around in my head.

Posted 4 years ago #
  24. smokeytay33

smokeytay33

Login to Send PM

apiperisdown,

I did the Disney College program in 2011 and had the time of my life. I hope your kid enjoys it! And animation would be a fun thing to do. One of my favorite places in Wald Disney World is the Animation Studio in Hollywood Studios. Good luck to them both!

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, what am I listening to. I usually smoke outside, and as I live in the woods, I just listen to nature whatever it happens to be. In the fall, the sound of nature is occasionally punctuated by a gunshot or two which is kind of interesting.
    When I smoke inside, if I'm not on the computer reading these forums, I go into my music/library room and l listen to jazz or classical especially piano played by Glenn Gould, or one of my favorites, indie artist Laurie Anderson.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 4 years ago #
  26. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Best piping song EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyy_FIYE7EE

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 4 years ago #
  27. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It depends on my mood really. I also listen to pandora radio, my stations vary from Thrice, WAR, and Atreyu mostly, occasionally I will listen to The Presidents Of The United States.

Posted 4 years ago #
  28. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

Wow the feedback has been amazing! I'm new to forums so I started this one without looking (oops).Seems it has taking off very well! I'm currently watching a SRV DVD I've not watched in years "Live at Carnegie Hall" on a 60 inch HD vs a tube HD 32 inch TV. I just acquired a sound bar for my setup back in Febuary and really enjoy it for it does not have cables running all through my living room and it sounds very nice!

Posted 4 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Steely Dan/Donald Fagen--them's some good pipe smoking' music!

I have to agree.
    This duo managed to record some incredibly clean music on LP's decades before digital music became a reality to the masses.

Alan Parsons is another one in that league.

Posted 4 years ago #
  30. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

+1 pipefish. I love chillin to Steely Dan. On an extreme note I've just got done watching Pantera's "3" on VHS. This vid brought out the "lil shithead" party boy back in the day! Oh how things change! However I'll never forget!

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

+1 trailboss. SD are great musicians and producers alike. I've read they ran tape and mic all the to the bathroom from the studio some 200+ feet just to get a sound from a guitar to match a chorus section. Whatever works and cocaine is a "helluva drug" from Rick James and Crosby!

Posted 4 years ago #
  32. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm usually listening to Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Black Metal, Doom or traditional Heavy Metal but whatever it is its usually Metal.

Posted 4 years ago #
  33. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Always classic heavy metal, mostly Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Sabbath, DIO and H&H). He was also a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvUUj1OInCs&NR=1

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 4 years ago #
  34. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

1^ I still hit up the speed metal and such from time to time. Cannible Corpse and Goregasm anyone?

Posted 4 years ago #
  35. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heck yeah! Cannibal Corpse is awesome. I prefer the Chris Barnes era, but George is a dang good DM vocalist. I saw them live a few years ago. Very cool! Alex Webster is an amazing bass player. Never really listened to Goregasm though.

Posted 4 years ago #
  36. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

I didn't know one could edit ones post. However I meant "sesh" as slang for session. No harm done.

Posted 4 years ago #
  37. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

Never did appreciate speed metal for vocals so much. However I've enjoyed the double drums and speedy guitar work!

Posted 4 years ago #
  38. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

^dragonslayer ^ that's cool you could befriend a metal classic.

Posted 4 years ago #
  39. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why this obsession with music? Music is good, in it's place, such as the concert hall, but I don't want to hear music when I am holding the phone, standing in a elevator, in a store or restaurant or walking down the street. And certainly not when I am smoking. Silence is better.

Posted 4 years ago #
  40. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Foggy you and I have the same taste, silence is the best music of all.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 4 years ago #
  41. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy the sounds of Nature; owls hooting, crickets chirping, birds singing, etc. On Saturday evenings I listen to Prairie Home Companion. On Wednesdays I listen to the Pipes Magazine Radio Show.

Posted 4 years ago #
  42. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

I value my silent moments too fellas. I've got it good in that department for all I have to do is remove my hearing aids from my skull. Ah silence!

Posted 4 years ago #
  43. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I either listen to a Ryan Bingham station on Pandora (bluesy old school country), or just silence.

Posted 4 years ago #
  44. kanada

kanada

Login to Send PM

I "only" smoke when I read and I always listen to classical music or orchestral soundtracks when I read

Posted 4 years ago #
  45. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The music I choose to listen to depends on the mood I am in at the time. Usually - although not always - it is classic rock/oldies, blues,or classic swing.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 4 years ago #
  46. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@daimyo, John Herndon, one of the drummers for Tortoise, is a good friend of mine, and he went to school with my girlfriend. It's always great whenever someone recognizes them, they are not mainstream, but very innovative. They always stay with us, when they hit shows in the Southeast. Coming from an art school, I have been blessed to know many who are now in the music industry.

But, for me while working at the bench all day, I like a mix of Jack Johnson style folk to bluegrass (jamgrass) and blues/jazz. Pandora is really my only source of recorded music nowadays. We also have quite a few music festivals in town, just a block from my shop, so on most weekends, I can just walk over and smoke my pipe while enjoying the music.

But, I come from an 70's 80's Grateful Dead and heavy metal background. But, I just never got into the drug/drinking culture, the girls were great though. And, when my hearing started declining, I had to give my eardrums and nerves a rest with more subdued forms of recreational auditory vibrations.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  47. david555

david555

Login to Send PM

I've been enjoying the new Aphex Twin with some Reiner Gold Label.

Posted 4 years ago #
  48. broth

broth

Login to Send PM

This makes me pine for the days when I could smoke my pipe at the local Irish Pub while listening to a traditional Irish music session. To me that was the perfect accompaniment. Nowadays, since I can't smoke in pubs and I don't smoke in my house, I usually smoke my pipe outside without music playing. Sometimes I'll listen to an audio book or some classical or traditional Irish music. But mostly it's just the sound of my thoughts and the great outdoors.

Posted 4 years ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Birds, crickets and the wind. I smoke outside.

Posted 4 years ago #
  50. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

I live in the outskirts of the city. So when outside most times I get planes,trains,and automobiles.

Posted 4 years ago #
  51. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

^Broth. I'd most love to visit Ireland.!!!!

Posted 4 years ago #
  52. captainarchibald

captainarchibald

Login to Send PM

Right now Sibelius, usually classical.

Posted 4 years ago #
  53. natibo

natibo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beethoven followed by more Beethoven.

Bo
    Posted 4 years ago #
  54. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I play soft classical for my tobacco. I have an mp3 player hooked up outside the closet my stash is in. In the evenings I open the door so the tins and jars can hear the music easier.

Mostly at work I listen to classic rock or go with the likes of The Misfits, Ramones, Calabrese, Stellar Corpses or Nim Vin. Just depends on my mood, work load and the general annoyance factor from my coworkers.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  55. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lately I've been blessed with the sound of Trumpeter and Tundra Swans, backed by a chorus of Widgeons and Mallards. It's migration time and I'm out morning and evening with the Nikons on the marshes. Always take a couple of pipes along and a couple of different blends.

Posted 4 years ago #
  56. titus

titus

Login to Send PM

Seasick Steve, I can imagine him smoking a pipe:) If you have never heard of him your missing out. Blues, awesome blues with something else...not quite sure.

Posted 4 years ago #
  57. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

Titus. Seasick Steve really is a something else! I heard his name dropped in a guitar mag dedicated to folk/blues a couple years age. I have him on my Pandora station. I haven't visited him in awhile. I'll smoke a bowl with him tonight.

Posted 4 years ago #
  58. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

+^ Titus. I've been enjoying Seasick Steve again. I feel you may also like Junior Kimbrough. Have you heard him? Shall I just start a thread on blues and briar?

Posted 4 years ago #
  59. titus

titus

Login to Send PM

elduderino,

I'm checking out Junior Kimbrough as I type this, awesome stuff, thanks for the suggestion.

My favorite Seasick Steve song is "Just Because I Can (CSX)". I have a love for railways, I love my pipe, I like the idea of smoking my pipe and riding a old freight car "listen to the clickty clack"

Posted 4 years ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nothing like shooting a Thompson on full auto with a cigar or pipe...that is sweet music to my ears.

Posted 4 years ago #
  61. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

I've been a Pearl Jam fan since I bought the "Ten" cassette way back in '93. I finally get to see them live at the Xcel in St.Paul in 16 hrs. Can't wait! Going to start out with a lil pub crawl then smoke a bowl at The Golden Leaf then pub crawl a little more. Sounds like a great day to me,aye!?

Posted 4 years ago #
  62. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

Pearl Jam burned the house down with a 3hr set of 30+ songs. They made up for their lack of visits to MN over the years. They killed it!

On my days off I find myself on YouTube watching all the current St.Paul show videos. I obviously do not want it to end! I'm conflicted about the fans that have their smartphones in the air to "film" the show and those like me that take it all in.

What are your feelings on smartphones filming the show vs just watching it. I personally didn't have an obstructed view from smartphone usage but I'm guessing many did.

Posted 4 years ago #
  63. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Music, sweet music. They'll be music in the air. They'll be singin and swayin and records playin.

I often find myself having old songs pop into my head for no apparent reason, yet, I try to imagine why. I believe there is one.

I love to surf youtube for covers of these songs from my subconscious. I'll start with the one that is the song's signature and then check out how others have treated the same song.

Just the other day the song "Love Letters" came to mind. I found, so far, 11 covers of this song. Even Joe Walsh, Jeff Beck w/ Tom Jones!, Etta James, and on and on...I'm NOT alone, in the night.

Here's the signature version by Ketty Lester.

Now, click on the King of Covers...Elvis, for comparison.

Posted 4 years ago #
  64. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

I love it! Thank you newbroom!
    I don't know how to add YouTube to forums yet. But you've got me thinking

Posted 4 years ago #
  65. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By the way, I'm a blues aficionado too. I've been playing the harmonica since 1958. I first learned a song on a gifted Honer 64...which, sadly, I no longer have. I tend to play Suzuki and Lee Oskar's now.

Posted 4 years ago #
  66. elduderino

elduderino

Login to Send PM

I'm self taught guitar mostly blues. Self taught harp too! Usually trying to play Lightning Hopkins and Neil Young songs.

Posted 4 years ago #
  67. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can rip up some stuff on guitar. I'm also 'self taught'. I play upside down and backwards. I'm a lefty and learned some things early on by messing with other's rh axes. Once I learned a few chords I was off and running. Mostly rhythm with some finger picking thrown in...I've worn out the finish between the frets of G, C, A, and E chords. Sometimes I'll let my instruments sit for weeks...then I'll get fried and pick one up again. Funny how that works.
    I posted a clip back when I first joined of me playing my C harp. I was using a youtube backing and it was all spontaneous...not really good, but shows promise.

Posted 4 years ago #
  68. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I also love covers. That is one aspect of Jam bands I really enjoy. That Ketty Lester song is a jewel.

Posted 4 years ago #
  69. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I normally prefer peace and quiet while smoking, but my music of choice is Blues, 50's, 60's, 70's and some 80's and 90's rock. And a little Country now and then.

Posted 4 years ago #
  70. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's all about KC & The Sunshine Band. Well, either that or Audioslave.

That's the way! Ugh huh! Ugh huh! I like it! Ugh huh! Ugh huh!
    KC & The Sunshine Band - That's the way (I like it) w/Lyrics

Posted 4 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redone, alexnc, jiminks, instymp