banner

Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What McClelland Bulk Is Most Like Christmas Cheer?

(11 posts)
  1. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love any and all Christmas Cheers. I just ordered 3 tins of the 2015. Which bulk McClelland offering do you folks think is most like CC? I fully understand that CC is a matured, aged, special offering, so I don't expect a bulk to be the same, but just wondering what bulk might approach the amazing sweet, zesty, citrusy flavor the most.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

5100 is a red va and is pretty good especially with some age on it. You have to remember that Christmas cheer comes from already aged leaf.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

CC is a pretty special blend. I just don't think you'll find anything close in bulk. Red Cake is one of my all time favorites, but it isn't really that similar in depth of flavor. But, if you haven't tried it, it is worth the try.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually McClellend's Old World Cake is pretty much like the 2011-2012 CC which used orange Va, OWC is composed of Orange and lemon Va's. It's basically CC in bulk to me but not exactly the same obviously, but close enough to satisfy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I love McClelland VA's. I also like ketchup and vinegar, it's a great base to any sauce.

One of the great things about CC is that it's usually not out of stock by the end of the day on which it arrives.* I love the tangy sweetness of 5100 Red Cake with some age on it. I've never tried the 5115 OWC as Andy suggests. It's been on my list many times but always gets moved from the cart to the wish list before I push the order button. May be time to rethink that one.

Not bulk, but you might also give the tinned mature VA's a try. I like them all particularly No. 27 and No. 22., available in 50g and 100g tins.

*Now that I said that watch it disappear.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tarak, Tudor Castle is one of those blends that I find bright, sweet, fruit forward, and just a delightful smoke. Christmas Cheer changes year over year, but Tudor Castle plays in some of the same flavour categories. It is definitely worth investigating. Also, I have it on good authority that it ages very, very nicely.

-- Pat

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember reading somewhere (so take this for whatever that is worth) that CC is one of the varietals that go on to become 5100. The selected varietal depends on the quality of crop, but the remainder goes on to become one element among many blended for consistency in 5100.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pruss Tudor Castle sounds great, I love Perique, and I love McClelland Virginias, but don't combine them but. Why? Who knows! I should start!

bigpond that is interesting info and that kind of direction I was going for. I'm definitely not trying to start one of those "I love this tobacco so which cheaper tobacco is exactly like it"...but I do think there's a flavor profile in some of the McClellands I'm just trying to dig at.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Although nothing comes close to CC as every year the crop and leaf is different, but you can try Old World Cake, lots of people have said its quite close to their offering. Just remember CC leaf is approximately aged upto 4 years before it is created.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did mention in my OP that I realized it is pre-matured and age. I full have my head wrapped around the fact that I will not find CC in anything but CC.

However, I'd love to get something in a similar category to stick in the cellar and get happy. Fortunately I only smoke a couple times a week, have several tins aged 2001-2014 in the cellar, and 3 more on the way. Every year I'm buying a few so I'm building up a nice supply faster than I smoke it!

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. stephenw

stephenw

Login to Send PM

I have not had any of the recent McClelland x-mas cheer is several years, and when I did have it around to smoke it had additional age on it, so my memories may be a bit off, but all of the x-mas cheer I smoked was broken flake and reminded me of very well aged 2010 or 2015, so I would suggest picking up a 5 pound bag of either, seal them in mason jars and forget them for about a decade and you will have a wonderful smoke. In fact, I pretty much smoke only 10 year old 2015 and occasionally 10 year old 2010.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, paulfg, cortezattic, cshubhra, pitchfork, georged, agnosticpipe, malicev, railman, sumusfumus, jerrynyc, catyrpelius, jiminks, olkofri, warren, ssjones