PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've been on several forums in my time, going back to the mid or late 1990s. There was only one other forum I participated in as much as this one and one of the key reasons was that we all got along. I am not a big fan of drama but unfortunately that's what most forums bring.
For me, this forum is a respite from the daily b.s. that life can dish out. It's a place to relax, light a pipe and share a pleasant conversation around a topic we're all equally passionate about. Many thanks to Kevin and the mods for all of their hard work (and for keeping it civil.)

Mar 31, 2014
Even if I wasn't new here, which I am, I still might be going out on a limb by saying:
Tobacco users are often portrayed as uneducated and/or ignorant people. Sure, there are many positive images of smokers (Winston Churchill, Sherlock Holmes, the old timey or professor image, etc.). But, as the push against tobacco increases, I think the users are seen/painted more and more in a negative light.
I believe a big part of why this forum operates so well is that we are trying to resist the modern stereotype and, perhaps unintentionally, are creating a visible example of who pipe smokers really are: everyday people. We're pointing our "good side" at the social lens and proving that pipe smokers can be logical, well composed, intelligent, fair, friendly, engaging, educated, and of strong character. In other words, we're just like everyone else, so stop targeting us!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I really would agree with that statement. If you have not noticed all the bad guys in Hollywood films are always British. I would not be surprised if the next Bond villain will turn out to be a pipe smoker. What happened to 'Bull Dog' Drummond and his ilk pursuing the bad guys with a pipe in their mouth and those crazy plus four trousers!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Well said claypipesarchaeologist. FWIW, I've been enjoying your posts here quite a lot and hope you'll be sticking around.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Agreed, six, well said. I have also noticed that archæologist may be new, but her posts have substance and add to the forum. Hey archy, are you proud of me for making the proper a-e ligature?

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
Well I don't think we are resisting the modern stereotype. Personally I think there is just a great group of people who share a great love for the same natural product. Bourbon forums are the same way. But they don't show the overwhelming kindness and good heartedness of this group. Never seen people so willingly help and share their knowledge with other people.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I would wager that there are more friendly, generous people here than in the general public. How many times have we seen people go above and beyond the call of regular kindness to help a brother out in this forum? I can't count that high.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
jiminks said:

I would wager that there are more friendly, generous people

here than in the general public. How many times have we seen

people go above and beyond the call of regular kindness to

help a brother out in this forum? I can't count that high.
Jim ... I'm sure not going to be the one to bet against you ... you're on the winning side with that opinion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kevin and moderators are sort of like the proprietor and staff of a good pub. They know how to set up

a cheerful, convivial conversational atmosphere were people can enjoy their favorite refreshment, in this

case tobacco pipe smoking. They keep the tone upbeat and wave off people who just can't stay civil.

Although I admit to missing one or two of them. But this is what it takes. It is unusual. Long may it

be so.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Not to take anything away from KG and the sunshine band but it's really the members that make or break a place. You can have good mods but if the place has too many of the wrong type the joint won't jive.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Haven't been on this forum to long but I from what I've seen, I agree with all of the above. This is very well run and the people posting are knowledgeable and respectful. Other forums would do well to emulate this. Glad to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.