What makes one pipe smoke better than another?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucson

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2014
I have a Radice which is my first one. I also have two Wiley's. The Radice is smoking better than my two Wiley's even before it has been broken in.
What gives here?

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Some pipes are good, some need a little work. Now give the bad one a stern talking too.....:)

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Plenty of folks love their Wiley pipes and nearly anyone who's bought a Radice literally loves them. Are they better engineered, use better wood, processed better, I don't know but I own, and have owned, a slew of Radice pipes and they make great pipes. Never owned a Wiley so I'm of no help there but Radice is one of my favored pipes and I have at least 100 pipes both artisan and factory.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
If the pipes are not the same, there are many factors that can cause one pipe to smoke better than another including but not limited to brand engineering standards, shape, smoker style/habits, wood, processing, etc. It's much easier to narrow down when comparing two exact same shapes from the exact same maker. If all other things are equal, the only variable that isn't constant would be the characteristics of the briar.

Aug 14, 2012
Tightness of grain, age of briar, the finish on the pipe, how dry it is kept during smoke, length of rest, temperature of smoke.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
From what I have read, by people much smarter than me, it comes down to quality of materials, then engineering, then quality of the tobacco being smoked.

Basically, no two pipes will never taste the same, kind of like a finger print or snow flake.

Like hammers and guitars, they're just tools. And, whatever tools you get used to using sways the user's opinion of other tools. If I am used to a lighter shorter hammer, a longer hammer will be awkward to the hand, even if the longer hammer is more expensive. And, guitar players will have their own idea of "quality" pending the playing style that they developed with earlier guitars. I personally like wider necks on my guitars, whereas the more expencive guitars will have more narrow necks, so I am not as fond of most of the more expencive one's (thank goodness).

There's no one magic formula for what makes a pipe better. It really is just up to how your smoking style developed with earlier pipes. This is why when one person says that they have a gurgly, crappy smoking pipe, someone else can step up and smoke it like a Stradivarius.

That said, just as a hammer can have a loose head or broken handle, or a guitar may not stay in tune, a pipe can be drilled wrong or crappy briar. However, subtle differences in draft hole diameters and such is just a difference in what style the pipe requires to get a good smoke. It's a piece of briar with a hole in it. There's not a lot that can go wrong. And, when a pipemaker is asked about draft diameter verses length of pipe, I've found that they just use whatever drill bit they have. It's not exactly brainsurgery or rocketscience. And, making a pipe is not nearly as hard as making a guitar.
Maybe give the other pipe a chance and try to moderate your style to what the pipe might need to make it smoke well. Or, sell it, because there's always going to be someone who can make that pipe sing.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
In 1995 I bought my first expensive pipe.I paid over $200 for it That was a good bit of money for a pipe in those days.It smoked so hot I couldn't hold the bowl.I kept it for a long time.It never got any better.I contacted the factory.They asked me to mail them the pipe so they could check it.They later contacted me and said they couldn't determine the cause,but they were sending me a replacement pipe.I still have the replacement and it smokes great.Two pipes made by the same folks.Even they couldn't tell why one smokes so much better than the other.My guess is that someone who makes pipes most times will use what I call their normal wood..Now and then a piece for what ever reason will make a better or worse smoking pipe than normal.I'm not sure that anyone really knows why..The sad part of this story is that I really liked the look and feel of that pipe in my hand.The balance was such that I could barely tell I was holding it..Until I lit it that is.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+1 with Puffy.
All of the above pertains, and none of it pertains. Your odds of a quality smoking implement improve with quality materials, processing and engineering. But even with all that, pipes from the same maker can vary in performance.
Ultimately, it's a mystery wrapped in a banana. Nobody knows the ultimate truth, not even the Spanish Inquisition.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Some smoke good, and some smoke bad, it makes me mad when a bad pipe won't smoke right smokes tight with with a loose pack smoked at night, just wipe with some wax make it smoke alright so sad when I pack tight with a slow draw, try chaw if your bad pipe smokes bad ya'll.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The posts have covered all of the pertinent points that I can think of. I could only add, the attractiveness

of the pipe probably contributes to the experience and therefore makes one pipe smoke better than another,

in the same way that presentation in serving food does. The same food, thrown on the plate, or artfully arranged,

will taste better when it looks better. Good looks in a pipe put you in the right frame of mind for a good smoke.

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
IMHO...being a new guy..having broken in and owned a handful Ill put it to

2 main factors going along with predecessors.
Grade and dryness of briar- that being how well it takes heat cycles and how much moisture is present

in the wood.

and

Flow of the draft...being adequate for draw and ability to vent and dry while smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.