What makes a morning blend or an evening blend or a summer blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I was just wondering makes a morning blend, a morning blen or an evening blend or a summer blend vs a winter blend?

What is it you look for in each?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I know what tobacco companies expect by the names they give blends, but I can't line them up

that way. Sometimes I want a Latakia forward high nicotine blend in the morning or the summer, and

sometimes I want a brisk, crisp Virginia in the winter and/or at night, and the fact that the blend is

called Nightcap, Early Morning, Taste of Summer, or Taste of Autumn isn't really material. My blend is

What I Happen To Want Now.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Good question. Same with beer I would imagine. Lighter in flavor and nicotine content probably would be smoked earlier in the day and a heavier tasting flavor and more nicotine probably later on in the day. However there are a lot of factors involved. Smoke what you want when you want.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Same with beer, but also food. It's the same reason I eat lighter suppers during summertime.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I try to smoke my stronger tasting smokes later in the day, lat heavy or something with casing, so that those flavors don't diminish a lighter smoke I might want after the first.

Jul 15, 2011
A morning blend is a blend I smoke in the morning, an evening blend is a blend I smoke in the evening, and a summer blend is a blend I smoke in the summer. :mrgreen:
My primary smokes anymore are either a really strong burley blend or a stout latakia heavy mixture. I'll start the day (if I smoke first thing in the day) with a good burley, then, after dinner I'll have a nice heavy latakia smoke, and for a nightcap I'll smoke another strong burley. I do enjoy a good Virginia now and again, those are primarily morning smokes, and I like a good aromatic too, usually any time of day. It's just whatever I crave when I decide I want to smoke.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
+1 sparks it is what you like I can smoke penzance in the morning. Penzance at noon and Penzance at night with no problem. I bet it was the tabacco blenders own experience that let him to believe everyone would enjoy a particular blend early or late just as he did, but I am guessing. :)

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Bass asked a good question. I have wondered these things as well. It has to be preference because it can't get dark enough for me when it comes to dunhill's Nightcap :rofl:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
IMO the first bowl of the day IS the best one of the day. Alfred Dunhill certainly hit the nail on the head when he came up with EMP and Nightcap. Those two blends are at their best when smoked early and late as they are aptly labeled, at least for me. If I try to smoke a second bowl of EMP during the day it just isn't nearly as good as the one I had in the early am with my coffee. A bowl of Nightcap as the final smoke leaves me satisfied and ready to call it a night. I can smoke Virginias or whatever during the day and enjoy them just fine but the two Dunhill's mentioned have to be smoked as advertised.

owen

May 28, 2014
For me the first of the day is the best bowl so I smoke whatever is my current favourite then smoke my rough stuff for any further smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.