Pipes Magazine » Pipes Accessories

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Makes A Dunhill Lighter Worthy of $850?

(41 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by carolinachurchwarden
  • Latest reply from jpmcwjr
  1. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just curious. I was poking around on SP's this morning while smoking an unfinished bowl of BF from last night's drive home and decided to check out lighters again. I keep coming back to it because I'd really love to own an old boy style lighter some day, whether from the nostalgic effect or just because they look cool. Now I know the $850 Dunhill lighters are palladium plated, so I can see half the cost being because of that, but even the non-palladium lighters are selling at $450-$500. I almost gagged when I saw it. So my question is what makes them so special? Is it just because it's a Dunhill, or is there really something so special about them that it warrants the price?

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is it just because it's a Dunhill

People pay for a brand name, no matter how distant it is from their glorious past.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

brand

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What makes them special?

Well, they fit in your pocket, they come in multiple colours, they shoot out a flame that lights the tobacco in your pipe, they use a hydrocarbon based fuel.

Wait...I just described my Zippo and Bic lighters.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, that's the truth of it. I just wasn't sure if the damn thing magically refilled your tobacco for you or something. I mean really. I think the kiribi lighters are kept in the same fashion, and I hear perform outstandingly well. I reckon someone will buy the Dunhill just because it's a Dunhill. Reminds me of my wife and her Coach purses. They are made well, I do agree with her on that, but the price just sucks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brand name

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I own several Dunhill lighters, in several different styles, they are things of beauty to behold. A pleasure to hold and use. Classic design lines executed with top notch materials and workmanship.

But my Corona Old Boy is, hands down, a far superior functioning lighter. Better gas regulation, more consistent lighting.

So it goes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Brand.

Many of the Dunhill lighters are exquisite, well made functional jewelry. But the price isn't justified on functionality alone. I have an 18k gold one buried somewhere that was a gift. I just use matches or a BIC.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But my Corona Old Boy is, hands down, a far superior functioning lighter.

I have browsed those as well, just because I have heard the same thing that you just mentioned several times before. I mean, if I found a Dunhill in an antique store, say, I might be willing to make the purchase. I mean those palladium plated, leather sided Dunhills do look really nice and I bet they do feel fantastic. I just don't think I could justify the expense for myself, especially like you said, some of the other brands might be far superior.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I reckon someone will buy the Dunhill just because it's a Dunhill. Reminds me of my wife and her Coach purses. They are made well, I do agree with her on that, but the price just sucks.

First part: Yes, but thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands. Second: Yes indeedy!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All of my Dunhill lighters have been second-hand acquisitions. Resale value is not good. Keep an eye on eBay and Etsy, they often go cheap.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Consumers, the demand.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

Marginal utility.

Why are diamonds more expensive than water, although water is much more useful to mankind?

Ignacio
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someone pays $850 for a Dunhill lighter for the same reason a dog licks his own balls. Because he can. Price is decided by the seller. Worth is determined by the buyers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Brand and vanity.

Probably like the Old Boy, drop it and it will develop a fuel leak. Put a white dot on a cow pile, and someone will scramble to outbid for it. Bics, Zippos, and matches have a much lower need of repair.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

I bought one new, palladium plated, and works very well, made in Switzerland (works like a Swiss watch will be an heirloom for my son. Better investment than an iphone in my books......

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You consider an iPhone to be an investment? What kind of return are you expecting in the next decade? The minerals in the phone will increase in value ... some. But the phone? You'd be better off buying the equivalent in gold every time a new phone is released with regard to return on your "investment."

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why do folks buy a Caddy instead of a Chevy? Both will get you wherever you want to go.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It’s amusing to watch people get hot and bothered over how other folks spend their money.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm all for people spending their moneys as they wish. In fact I encourage it. But, looking at an iPhone as an investment? Just spend the money, use the product and forget about any return on investment. iPhones are like MM's ... disposable.

It's another of my many faults. It's the "aingiseor" in me blood, causes a "knee jerk" reaction.

Now, anyone who invests in a blend manufacturing business ... that's a proper risk in this day and age! Wood that I had such discretionary moneys. (See what I did there?)

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So true, as well as the same anti biases being repeated.

I agree that neither an iPhone nor a fine lighter are actual investments. Now, if you buy a gross of Dunhill lighters knowing you may be able to sell them in ten years for ten times the cost, that's an investment.... Though closer to a speculation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I think that the term "investment" carries multiple meanings these days. Perhaps the return is seen as having something of quality and beauty (now imbued with the intangible properties of time and possession by a loved one) to pass on to your child. Having inherited my father's prized 1972 Sears Craftsman radial arm saw, I understand this line of thought.

As for starting a pipe tobacco company, the jury is still out on whether or not there will be a return on our investment. But either way, none of us thought that it was a particularly smart thing to do!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once you get into the rarified ether of luxury goods for wealthy folks, price and function and even art aren't strictly relevant. Higher end brands and designer anything, the sky is the limit on price. As a parallel, designer clothing is designed and sewn by hand, but once that's done, the price is the greatest fantasy of all. Seven thousand dollars for a suit? Well of course. You don't want to be wearing rags, do you? Just pull a breathtaking sum out of the air, and there's your price. Mostly, the customer wants to know that other people cannot afford it. That elicits a sigh of contentment, and the credit card.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

woods: Sometimes you just gotta trust your whimsical side! Roll the dice and revel in the fun and learning.

The comfort of a handmade/tailored suit, if one can afford it, is akin to the comfort of a well made, properly proportioned, great smoking, pipe in the fist.

If the price is breathtaking ... well, I probably wouldn't buy such. Unless one noticed the functional sleeve buttons and other such touches, one wouldn't have the foggiest idea of what my suits used to cost. But, the comfort of wearing a well fitted suit ... nearly priceless. Certainly there is a bit of vanity and not some little some celebration at having attained enough wealth to live as one prefers and not as one must. It's all in the perspective of the buyer and the members of the peanut gallery.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

Your paying for a name.Id rather buy tobacco or a lot of mm cobs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's all about the choices we make. I choose to be exceptionally wealthy. Reality simply hasn't caught up yet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can stil buy a lot of cobs and I only enjoy a handful of blends. Cobs are disposables for me, ugly but, very efficient smokers, great when working or playing out of doors. It's all personal choice as the wise man above stated.

If you are content to smoke cobs only, more power to you. I'm not wired that way, I enjoy the feel of a well turned pipe in my hand as I smoke, it's an integral part of the experience. Not every smoker desires such and that's the reason the market is so varied. And, no one needs to justify their choices to another.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

Personally I'm not a fan of Dunhill accessories but do have a small collection of ST Dupont and Davidoff lighters. The craftmanship, attention to detail, materials (mine are mostly lacquer and palladium or gold), etc. make them worth the $1,000+ price tag. Why does a Montblanc pen cost more than a Bic?

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of us would love to see photos of your collection! I hanker after a DuPont lighter, but it'd half to be from some one's estate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

Only if you’d pay it. I have an old boy I spent $100 on. Better than a bic? Not really. But it’s the cool factor and aesthetic you pay for.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. mwsmoker

mwsmoker

Login to Send PM

Why buy tools from Snap-On instead of Harbor Freight? Why buy shoes from Allen Edmonds or Alden instead of DSW? Why buy fine wine instead of two buck chuck?

Why buy an Ivarsson instead of a Grabow?

FWIW, and different than the original question, used Dunhill and S.T. Dupont lighters are a great discount from new, and a joy to own. I have Zippo, Corona Old Boy, Dunhill and Dupont lighters, and they are all more enjoyable than a BIC.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Bics they are cheap and reliable. I have an estate Dunhill lighter that I bought for 20$, it’s a cool lighter but I still prefer Bics, and matches.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What Makes A Dunhill Lighter Worthy of $850?

The same thing that makes 1930's John Deere technology sell for $15-20k.

Flame suit on...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The worth of a thing is the price it will bring"

Adam Smith (sorta)

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get an Old Boy if you wish for a nice lighter. I would recommend against the black matte finish as it will wear off if you keep it in your pocket. The Pipemaster they sell is also really good and will be in with the Old Boy selections. Larger fuel reserve and they come with a tamp as well.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This one is awesome.

I find that the so called pipe masters don't do as well with pipes as the old boys. Personal preference, of course.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several Xikar cigar lighters and their Scribe
    Pipe lighter. I have the Old Boy and assorted impulse
    buys. But, I use generic Bics around home and take the
    Scribe when out and about. Take the Old Boy when I go
    out with the wife, go to pipe club, lodge, etc..
    I just ordered this guy just i liked it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I just ordered this guy just i liked it.

Thought about getting one myself a few years ago, then I read this.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lighters-help-me-choose-one#post-910619

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use an old boy look alike that i got from Mr. Brog on Amazon for 18 dollars and it works just fine. It looks just like the real deal for a fraction of the price.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I'm a fan of the old Nimrods as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks to the link Embers posted, I saw this.....

No word as to what it is, and the poster I haven't seen about.

Tidbit: Also, thread has the only photos that mrlowercase didn't take down when he went away.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, jiminks, elbert, milehighpiper, pipestud, tuold, sholto, jaytex969, philobeddoe, dcon, ashdigger, pitchfork, rodo, danimalia, jfred, gandalfspipe, crawdad, oldgeezersmoker, cshubhra, ormazd