What Makes A Dunhill Lighter Worthy of $850?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Just curious. I was poking around on SP's this morning while smoking an unfinished bowl of BF from last night's drive home and decided to check out lighters again. I keep coming back to it because I'd really love to own an old boy style lighter some day, whether from the nostalgic effect or just because they look cool. Now I know the $850 Dunhill lighters are palladium plated, so I can see half the cost being because of that, but even the non-palladium lighters are selling at $450-$500. I almost gagged when I saw it. So my question is what makes them so special? Is it just because it's a Dunhill, or is there really something so special about them that it warrants the price?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
What makes them special?
Well, they fit in your pocket, they come in multiple colours, they shoot out a flame that lights the tobacco in your pipe, they use a hydrocarbon based fuel.
Wait...I just described my Zippo and Bic lighters. :rofl:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
:rofl: Well, that's the truth of it. I just wasn't sure if the damn thing magically refilled your tobacco for you or something. I mean really. I think the kiribi lighters are kept in the same fashion, and I hear perform outstandingly well. I reckon someone will buy the Dunhill just because it's a Dunhill. Reminds me of my wife and her Coach purses. They are made well, I do agree with her on that, but the price just sucks.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I own several Dunhill lighters, in several different styles, they are things of beauty to behold. A pleasure to hold and use. Classic design lines executed with top notch materials and workmanship.
But my Corona Old Boy is, hands down, a far superior functioning lighter. Better gas regulation, more consistent lighting.
So it goes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Brand.
Many of the Dunhill lighters are exquisite, well made functional jewelry. But the price isn't justified on functionality alone. I have an 18k gold one buried somewhere that was a gift. I just use matches or a BIC.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
But my Corona Old Boy is, hands down, a far superior functioning lighter.
I have browsed those as well, just because I have heard the same thing that you just mentioned several times before. I mean, if I found a Dunhill in an antique store, say, I might be willing to make the purchase. I mean those palladium plated, leather sided Dunhills do look really nice and I bet they do feel fantastic. I just don't think I could justify the expense for myself, especially like you said, some of the other brands might be far superior.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I reckon someone will buy the Dunhill just because it's a Dunhill. Reminds me of my wife and her Coach purses. They are made well, I do agree with her on that, but the price just sucks.
First part: Yes, but thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands. Second: Yes indeedy!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
All of my Dunhill lighters have been second-hand acquisitions. Resale value is not good. Keep an eye on eBay and Etsy, they often go cheap.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Someone pays $850 for a Dunhill lighter for the same reason a dog licks his own balls. Because he can. Price is decided by the seller. Worth is determined by the buyers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Brand and vanity.
Probably like the Old Boy, drop it and it will develop a fuel leak. Put a white dot on a cow pile, and someone will scramble to outbid for it. Bics, Zippos, and matches have a much lower need of repair.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I bought one new, palladium plated, and works very well, made in Switzerland (works like a Swiss watch :) will be an heirloom for my son. Better investment than an iphone in my books......

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You consider an iPhone to be an investment? What kind of return are you expecting in the next decade? The minerals in the phone will increase in value ... some. But the phone? You'd be better off buying the equivalent in gold every time a new phone is released with regard to return on your "investment."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm all for people spending their moneys as they wish. In fact I encourage it. But, looking at an iPhone as an investment? Just spend the money, use the product and forget about any return on investment. iPhones are like MM's ... disposable.
It's another of my many faults. It's the "aingiseor" in me blood, causes a "knee jerk" reaction.
Now, anyone who invests in a blend manufacturing business ... that's a proper risk in this day and age! :worship: Wood that I had such discretionary moneys. (See what I did there?)

Status
Not open for further replies.