What Lighter to Get?

(86 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jaytex969
  • Latest reply from balkisobrains
  1. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought the $10 "Panama Jack" lighter when I began using a pipe.

I knew it wouldn't last, but wasn't sure my piping would, either.

It's recently gotten flaky and I'm looking to step up a notch.

I really like the form factor. What is similar but more dependable? Budget of around $50.

Thanks.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. leatherman

leatherman

Login to Send PM

There are endless options it seems these days, after looking over the lighters pipesandcigars offers. I recently purchased this Vertigo lighter, and I'm happy with it. I thought I wouldn't like the integrated tools, but they've come in handy. I prefer piezo to flint, but I don't have much experience with higher end lighters. Just my 2 bits.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Xicar shown in the initial post was 50 bucks, and worth it.

LINK to thread

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I used to chase the expensive lighters, and even own a couple. I prefer Bics and Zippos though. If you must however, IM Coronas and Kiribis get high marks.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Save up and buy an IM Corona Pipemaster for around $100.00, best pipe lighter available.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been planning on purchasing a Kiribi or the Peterson version. But when out and about I will probably still be using my Pipe Zippo.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. chilipalmer

chilipalmer

Login to Send PM

Zippo. That's the answer. You cannot beat a Zippo. Inexpensive, easy to maintain, and reliable.

Cheers,

Chili

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an entire drawer of $50 lighters that have all failed at one point or another, perhaps just my bad luck +1 with others here; Zippo or save up and go for the IM Cornoa Pipemaster ( I was just looking over that one ).

My go-to lighters now; Zippo and IM Corona Old Boy, both lighters have never failed me

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$1.00 at Dollar Tree

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. deleon

deleon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zippo lighters ol' reliable

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

philo is correct. The Pipemaster from IM Corona is a work horse. I have tried many of the 50.00 and they all break within a few months. I would save up for the extra 50.00.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Kiribi. Highly recommended.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. philairfoil

philairfoil

Login to Send PM

If your looking at the long haul...Zippo, of course, but for a butane (which is my choice for a pipe lighter) The IM Corona line as well as the Kiribi brand stand out for around $100.

I've found the piezo electric ignition as found on some to be problematic after a few years.

You could take it up way more than a notch in price and not get a more functional or long lasting butane than the Old Boy or Kiribi.

On the other hand, I have a 'Thunderbird' insert for a zippo that I haven't broken yet, it was around $20.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zippo, Zippo, Zippo, with a clipper back up.

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My IM Corona Old Boy has been flawless.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a slim IM Corono Old Boy since December. Simply loving it, the most reliable lighter I have ever owned - it even out ranks ST Dupont in my opinion. If you don't mind bulky, the new xicar variant is very inexpensive and reliabel

https://www.ebay.com/p/XIKAR-Resource-Lighter-Black-Gunmetal/1586494996

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zippo and matches.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarbuda48

Login to Send PM

I have all but two lighters mentioned in this thread. The Kiribi is by far the best of the lot in my opinion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

madox07

I have a slim IM Corono Old Boy since December. Simply loving it, the most reliable lighter I have ever owned - it even out ranks ST Dupont in my opinion

Yeah just don't drop that thing. =) What problems did you have with your Dupont?

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Yeah just don't drop that thing.

No kidding. I dropped mine once, now I can't keep fuel in it. Just keep it around to look at now. All of that cash could have gone on tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

balkisobrains there was a rubber gasket that was worn by time, and it leaked gas. I had it replaced, for an enormous sum of money, considering that we are talking about a small piece of rubber. But then again if you can afford a Dupont Gatsby you don't ask how much fixing costs. Truth be told, I bought mine from a flea market - as I believe that EUR 400 for a lighter is outrageous, so I cannot know how abused the lighter was by the previous owner. The corona on the other hand, now that's something I feel much more comfortable with

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

That's the great thing about Zippo lighters. Lifetime warranty and free repairs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't find too many pipe lighters that are of similar form factor to that "Panama Jack" lighter you referred to. I can think of Xikar's pipe lighter, e.g. Xikar Resource pipe lighter and Resource II pipe lighter to be of similar form factor and at around the price range. I don't know if they are more reliable though, I believe they are all made in China, like the iPhones; but Xikar is a larger brand and has good warranty policy as far as I know.

As reasonable updates, you can have:
    - IM Corono Old Boy, made in Japan, with a starting price of around $120;
    - Dunhill Unique (the original Old Boy design), made in English, with a starting price of around £280;
    - Zippo pipe lighter, made in USA, starts at about $20;
    - Dupont lighter line 2, made in France, can be equipped with an angled flame, starting at about $600.

Bic lighters are also reliable, but with just a few more bucks I would get a new Zippo or even a used one instead.
    I use Zippo fuel at home, but I also tried various Zippo butane inserts and I use them when I carry my Zippo. The quality of these Zippo butane inserts is improving and they are becoming more reliable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

madox07

balkisobrains there was a rubber gasket that was worn by time, and it leaked gas. I had it replaced, for an enormous sum of money, considering that we are talking about a small piece of rubber. But then again if you can afford a Dupont Gatsby you don't ask how much fixing costs. Truth be told, I bought mine from a flea market - as I believe that EUR 400 for a lighter is outrageous, so I cannot know how abused the lighter was by the previous owner. The corona on the other hand, now that's something I feel much more comfortable with

I hear you man. I'm presuming that it was OK once you got it fixed though, right? Duponts that sit for a while (years and years) or if they are just old are going to need new seals, even if they are new in the box lighters. Here is my thought process in action: my Pete Old Boy is still N.I.B. because I dropped my L1 on its head probably at least three times yesterday alone, and have probably dropped it about 50 to 100 times so far. =) But I did what sounds like you did, I found an affordable Dupont, did the seals, delrin roller bushings on the thumb scroll, and one other thing with the lid cam, but that was about it besides cleaning everything and greasing a couple of spots.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, don't get me wrong, Du Ponts are very good lighters. In fact, all I said was that I like my corona better, through this cost point of view alone. Once I changed that o ring on it, it works fantastic again. As long as the flint is above half, it lights on the first roll, flame stays stable across its load (which is quite a decent one), and that click when flipping open is quite a sound. I also saw a video on how some guy ordered parts from ebay, and managed to make the flame go side ways making it even better for the pipe, but I don't think I am handy enough to venture in that direction. The only down side, literally, of the du pont is its weight - it puts a hole through your pocket. The corona is a different experience all together, and you are right - I have yet to drop it on the floor, thanks for the advice by the way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

chasingembers life time warranty is something that sounds very comforting, but quite frankly i NEVER had a zippo that needed servicing. Their mechanism is so simple, that there is hardly anything that can go wrong there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Side-wise flames or directional flanges are a drawback for this lighter guy. Like 'em simple and Old Boy style. Have a good Xicar made one. Their Resource model is not attractive looking, though it may work all right.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. echambers

echambers

Login to Send PM

A zippo was good enough for my grandpa, and my dad, so it must be good enough for me!

"There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Zippo with the pipe insert and I only use it if I am in the wind outside. I really dislike the flame as it is very hard to control and it can torch the rims of my pipes much more so than the angled flames of my Old Boy's, Pipemaster's or Davidoff pipe lighter.

I have a number of Dupont lighters but they are all designed for cigars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally, I like "pipe flame" lighters. L1 nozzles are "easy" to swap back and forth because they are threaded.

The L2 nozzles are pressed in, and I'm not sure how to get those out without damaging the nozzle. I tried freezing and got one out but damaged it. I might try heating, but I'm thinking that it might require special pullers or possibly can't be done without damage to the nozzle.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. spartan99

spartan99

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jaytex mentioned that he liked the Panama Jack lighter's form factor. I can vouch for the Xikar Resource and JetLine angled flame lighters. The linked JetLine isn't the exact model I have, which doesn't appear to be available any longer, but it has the same basic look.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When it comes to lighters I'm an unabashed snob. Bic lighters should absolutely not be anywhere near a good briar pipe. Only matches, Zippos, or Old Boy style lighters should be used to light a pipe in my opinion.

I'm a fan of the Old Boy style lighters. I've had an IM Corona and a Peterson for a few years now. They work wonderfully in my garage mancave. Outside when it's windy it can be a bit of a bugger to light the pipe.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve had an IM Corona Old Boy for going on 20 years. My only complaint is that it doesn’t do well with any wind. Other than that it’s been a trooper.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you spend time on a sail boat, you soon learn how to use hands to shield enough of the wind.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, all, for the input, opinions and lively discussion.

I might have mentioned that I do have several Zippo's, from the cig smoking days. I don't like the flavor of them very much.

I've been looking hard at the Xikar Resource II.

A zippo was good enough for my grandpa, and my dad, so it must be good enough for me!

My grampa ate pickled herring and my dad had a coal burning stove for the first ten years of his life. I think I'll take a pass...

If you spend time on a sail boat, you soon learn how to use hands to shield enough of the wind.

I drove a humvee for 18 months in a desert warfare unit. I could roll a smoke and light it with a sand clogged Bic while doing 40 over rough terrain with no roof or doors.

The Thunderbird Zippo insert is picking up steam as a second choice. I've got reliability concerns, but, for the price, I might give it a whirl.

The Panama Jack, which I believe is a Jetline, or a good knockoff, still has electric spark and gas flow. It's just not connecting for some reason. I may dissect it for science, after I replace it.

Anyone with the Xicar, any similar problems? Any speculations on why the Panama has spark and gas, but no flame? What's the longest service life anyone has gotten from a piezo/butane device?

Thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. spartan99

spartan99

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Panama Jack, which I believe is a Jetline, or a good knockoff, still has electric spark and gas flow. It's just not connecting for some reason. I may dissect it for science, after I replace it.

Anyone with the Xicar, any similar problems? Any speculations on why the Panama has spark and gas, but no flame? What's the longest service life anyone has gotten from a piezo/butane device?

The problem you're talking about is common with torch lighters, but I haven't experienced it with soft flame lighters. The usual suggestion is to purge the lighter before refilling it. The idea is to purge whatever non-flammable gasses are part of the butane mixture. I've had soft flame piezo-ignition lighters for over four years that still perform well.

I've only had the Xikar Resource II for a couple of months, but no problems so far. No failure to light issues with the JetLine lighters either. Their fuel tank is small, but they light when they have fluid.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^Could need a purge, or:
    Weak spark or spark not grounding at all where it needs to, usually you want it to jump from the end of the wire directly to the gas nozzle rather than the edge of the outer shroud. Sometimes carefully cleaning the area with alcohol and a q-tip and/or adjusting the wire position (gap) helps if it is dirty or if the end of the wire is out of place a little bit.

If that does not work, just go get a new lighter. Sometimes the wire insulation on the piezo subassembly weakens and some of the charge leaks and grounds internally through the frame and back to the piezo assembly and you have a weak spark at the nozzle. Not really worth trying to fix that if you can get another lighter for $10, unless you want to try and source the proper piezo sub-assemblies, which is probably a big waste of time.

I would not pay $60 for the Xicar. I would not get a new lighter with piezo unless it cost me a couple of dollars. People seem to like their IMC Pipemasters and I don't hear about too many complaints about them. Maybe those lighters are the exception. But I use my left hand to light, which does not work well with Pipemasters, so to be fair, I would not get one of those anyway. But I really don't like piezo.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Peterson had mine for years now best lighter ever owned.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

I too like the Crocs lighter from Dollar Tree. At $1 it is a great pipe lighter, especially for lighting a deep bowl.

I use a Zippo Pipe Lighter exclusively in my car (lights on the first strike everytime, so no fuss), and I have a Xikar Pipeline (their take on the Old Boy), which works great but I haven't owned it long enough to be able to speak about long term durability.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

never fails for me

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. piffyr

piffyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zippo, Zippo, Zippo, with a clipper back up.

I rely mostly on Zippos, but I've been meaning to pick up a couple of Clippers ever since someone here (possibly you?) was singing their praises a couple of months back. They appear to be nearly perfect lighters; cheap, BIC-similar form factor, butane, refillable, built-in "tamper", etc.

I'm curious about why you suggest the Clipper as a backup rather than a primary lighter. Is it just because it doesn't stand up as well in the wind or is there some other reason?

RESPECT THE PIPE!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use a Zippo as my main lighter but have a clipper as a back up for when the Zippo runs out of fuil. The clipper is a great lighter and you can change the flint by pulling out the tube.
    I love my Zippo’s and think they are the greatest lighter available.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For ten bucks you can get five of those Linse and probably be good for a while.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

If you can find one, Nimrods are great too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. piffyr

piffyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The clipper is a great lighter and you can change the flint by pulling out the tube.

Thanks, oms. It's too bad that Clippers appear to be mainly marketed to the stoner crowd. I think that turns off a lot of people that might otherwise be interested.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

+1 for Kiribi lighters. Well made, hold tons of fuel and are flint ignition. That and a mini Bic and you're good to go.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zippos: Sturdy, nostalgic, flames in wind, ubiquitous. But quick to lose fuel, odor to fuel.
    Butane: Elegant, long fuel supply, odorless, easy to refuel. But wind can blow out flame easily.

I have had good experience with Kiribi, IM Corona, AND Xicar, all Old Boy styles. ($50-200)

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

I had two Old Boy IM Coronas. They are great. I had a nice briar Old Boy that developed a small problem with gas flow. I sent it in for a repair, and $15 later had a fully working lighter again, with new parts. I used it for maybe 10 years and in all kinds of different environments until that point, then gave it to a friend who's still getting much use out of it.

So, from my experience, maintenance is very low cost.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. philairfoil

philairfoil

Login to Send PM

The ONLY thing that fails that You can't fix on a zippo is the hinge...however for the cost of postage, you get it back with a new insert, good as new.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Model T for Grandpa; '54 Buick for my Dad, would love to have them for fun, but wouldn't drive them more than a few miles on a bet! But that analogy doesn't really hold; Zippos were great then, and are good today.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. edwinbaz

edwinbaz

Login to Send PM

Zippo for lunting, matches for when you get a chance to sit down.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

My lighter journey ended with IM Corona. But I still use matches!

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

Was looking to see if anyone had a 4th Generation Pipe Lighter? The reviews on PC says to replace the Flint and drain the butane. That seems more my budget for a light so wondering if anyone here agrees.

Typically use matches but that is because my pipe light insert for my Zippo burned my fingers. The flame was too close to the push button.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. badbeard

badbeard

Login to Send PM

Was looking to see if anyone had a 4th Generation Pipe Lighter? The reviews on PC says to replace the Flint and drain the butane. That seems more my budget for a light so wondering if anyone here agrees.

The 4th Generation are just a rebranded version of a Mr. Brog. I have compared them side by side, and there can be no doubt.
    The Mr. Brog version can be had for about $25. I bought and used one for while, but found it to have two pretty major issues(for me). The first being that the flame tube is able to rotate somewhat freely, which resulted in an exciting lighting experience as you never really knew which direction the flame was going to shoot out. Second, I personally find the flint wheel location on virtually all Old Boy clones to be counter intuitive and fiddly. I ended up giving it to a friend, and he too abandoned it after a short time.

Matches are my first choice and I always use them for the first light regardless of where I am. If I am feeling lazy or outside, I use a Zippo for relights. I may be an outlier as I have always used a plain old Zippo without a pipe insert. I did just acquire one with the insert so I guess I'll see how that goes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, the $10 Panama Jack JetLine lighter came back in stock at P&C, so I grabbed another to get me by until I figure out what I like better.

I know it's likely to crap out after 6 months, but I do really like the ergonomics and flame. This one is getting good butane from the start, whereas the first started life with an old can of cheap fuel I already had. Maybe that will make a difference.

So, thanks again for all the great ideas. The quest goes on, at a more relaxed pace.

BTW, Cap'n. I am surrounded by nimrods but none seem interested in lighting my pipe!

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

Thanks badbeard. Saved myself some cash, and will stick with my 3X300 pack of matches (which cost maybe 3.50).

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. badbeard

badbeard

Login to Send PM

You could always buy an old Beattie Jet off of the bay and get the best of both worlds - A lighter in the same vein as a Zippo, but with the sideways flame that many seem to like..
    I've always wanted one, even if they are pocket flamethrowers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My personal experience with lighters have shown a consistent direct relationship to price and the time it takes to lose it or have it stolen. The higher the price, the sooner I lose it or someone steals it. I lost a ST DuPont, years ago, within two weeks of purchasing it while playing golf. I hate zippos because I remember overruling one as a kid, putting it in my pocket and have the fuel soak my privates on a hot summer day. I didn't realize that crap was sulfuric acid as that's how it felt and caused substantial, and I mean really substantial, pain. I would eat the tobacco before I'd light my pipe with a Zippo because it brings back the memory of that pain.

With that said, I have a Vector and some other cheap butane pipe lighter with a black matte finish that have worked just fine. If they break or I lose one, I pull out a $20 and I'm set.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's how I am with sun glasses.

It only takes one set of Ray Ban or Oakleys blowing off my face at 70 mph to alter my buying habits.

Now, I buy industrial safety glasses (clear and tinted) by the case for an average of $1.50 a pair.

Lost? No problem. Scratched? Toss 'em. Guy you don't even like needs a pair? Screw it. Here ya go...

Most of my pipe smoking is at home, so any "nice" lighter I get will mostly reside there. The Clipper/Bic goes in the pocket for excursions, usually. The only person I need to impress already lives with me...

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another Panama Jack after all of that, huh? That is funny! If you like them, go back and buy five more!

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. scotties22

scotties22

Login to Send PM

I have a Jetline pipe ligther that is great. I think I paid $35 for it at my local B&M. Wouldn't trade it for the world

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. philipa4

philipa4

Login to Send PM

I use a Corona old boy and it has always worked perfectly. Really like it.

Philip B.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  64. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another Panama Jack after all of that, huh? That is funny! If you like them, go back and buy five more!

I DO like the format/ergonomics. Not impressed with longevity on unit #1. Unit #2 is a stopgap measure and the quest goes on.

Hey! This is post #1000 and you guys haven't kicked me out yet...

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buy the IM Corona Pipemaster....you’ll thank me!

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

I've been on the Zippo fence (and I do want a Pipemaster) but found a Mr. Brog branded brass pipe zippo for $15 online so pulled the trigger based on so many zippo users here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

Scratch that, canceled my Mr. Brog order from Amazon, because ordering it directly from Brog, with free shipping and current code listed on their website totaled $6.80.
    Now the wait is on to see if this is a real Zippo, or even brass, lol.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. 9mmpuffer

9mmpuffer

Login to Send PM

I bought a zippo pipe lighter but could never get back the fluid. Why would I ruin get aged tobacco with bad tasting fluid.
    I considered an IM Corona but since they don't work in the wind, they really have no benefit over high quality matches. These days I just use matches.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My butane lighters work in the wind. Technique is needed, though. IM Corona is the tops.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use a Corona old boy and it has always worked perfectly. Really like it.

My thoughts exactly. With all the money I spent on lesser quality lighters that all crapped out I could have started with an Old Boy and saved a bunch of frustration. I actually bought a Pipemaster first but it seemed to have problems at altitude here in Denver. The Old Boy is just a joy to use.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   clickklick, lloydcole, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow