PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
Hello I just joined and wanted to get some insight on some other things I should try so far I have tried a bunch of blends and diffrent tobaccos so far I like latakia blends the most and virginas but I was curious to find out is there really any aromatics that have the same taste as they smell and also is there any pipe tobaccos that have a black pepper taste?

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Routhnh made a good suggestion with te frog Morton series, good stuff. I would also suggest Larry's blend by hearth and Holmes and Aniversary cake by Hearth and Holmes. The first is very Latika forward and the second Is a Virginia perq blend both tasty and in my rotation. Pipesandcigars.com has a sample pack you can buy containing both blends. PS: welcome to the forums!

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
Thanks but I have allready tried those and squadron leader,im just looking for something a bit diffrent than those.

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
Anniversery cake sounds intersting I will defeintly have to give it a try my local tobacco shop is just for him so I have tried allready alot of the good brands and the middle earth series with shortcut to mushrooms so maybe I need to do something else for awhile besides lats and orientials

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Well if you want some great Virginia's try MClelland they make some of the best Virginia's on the market. 221 B series black shag is unlike any virginas I have ever tried.

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
thanks for the input I may have to start cellering tobacco so it will defintly be aged by the time im old scince im only 19 years old :puffpipe:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
For some complex deep Latakia blends I'd recommend Star of the East, Westminster, Pirate Kake, Charing Cross, Penzance, Odessa, Red Odessa, & Engine 99.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Oh also I forgot to address Aromatics. High end or low end I really haven't found any to flavorful. I do enjoy aromatics as a light smoke or in mixed company but for flavor I go with English and for tasty sweet complexity I go for a flake Virginias, and just to add to your already long list dunhill flake is a great Virginia that everyone should try.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome aboard!
Personally I thought Black House had a slightly spicy taste at times. I finished the tin but I'm not huge on Latakia in general.
I also thought McCelland's Three Oaks Syrian was a really fine smoke. It's got a nice "sweetness" in the middle of it.
As far as black pepper goes, Escudo always has a peppery taste to me on the back end.
Also on the Shortcut to Mushrooms. It's a really fun smoke...a little to sweet for me in large bowls. It's like eating an entire burnt marsh mellow cake.
I second/third the notion of McCelland Virginias. Tasty stuff. They run a gamut from savory and rich to light and sharply sweet based on the leaf.
I've only been smoking just shy of a year but I've really found my sweet spot in McCelland's, GL Pease, and Rattray tobaccos. Course I do love PS Stokkebye bulks too.
Oh hell with it. I love them all.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Another +1 for 221b Black Shag.
I had to smoke a few bowls before deciding that I really like it. Initially, I was not impressed -- in fact, quite disappointed. But, after a few bowls it grew on me and now it is one that I reach for quite often.

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
thanks for all of the suggestions it will take me awhile to try them all scince a tin lasts me 2 weeks

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
The great thing is that at only 19 you have plenty of time to try out all of these blends. You can possibly look forward to sixty plus years of being a bowl burner of baccy.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
That's a question which is hard to answer. Experimentation is really your best friend in this situation.... So is a fat wallet lol
-Frank

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you want a peppery taste and you like Va's, get a perique heavy blend, I would recommend any brand of st. james woods although I'm partial to McClelland's, it will give you that peppery flavor you're looking for. A good very low cost flake is peter stockebye luxury bullseye flake, it's a mild perique blend so I'd recommend the St. james woods over that. If you're into the virginia's and want an aromatic go with peter stokebye luxury twist flake, it's about the only thing that resembles an aro I really enjoy. Aro's I find to be way to light for my tastes personally. They lack the depth and natural goodness of english blends or good virgina's. But don't let it stop you from trying some.

Jul 15, 2011
is there any pipe tobaccos that have a black pepper taste?
You my young friend are in luck. Grab yourself a tin of Villiger 1888 After Dinner, which to my taste buds tastes almost EXACTLY like peppered beef jerky. Its a great tasting flake tobacco that is easy to smoke and would be a good "beginner" tobacco. If you like latakia, Dunhill Nightcap is a must try but be careful as it is a pretty nicotine laden blend. MacBaren HH Acadian Perique is also a good smoke, a lot going on with a lot of different components, but it definitely has a "peppery" twang to it, and it is pretty cheap online. Oh, and welcome to the forums!

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
If you like Lats and want to try something truly unique then I suggest Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding. A pipe buddy sent me a sample of this stuff and it (to me) is truly amazing. Something that I probably wouldn't have tried on my own. Incredibly smooth and yet complex at the same time. I'm smoking a bowl right now and can discern three distinct flavors coming through without the flavor profile becoming "muddy" and overwhelmed by the latakia like so many other blends.
The only place online I have seen it is P&C (I believe they are actually the exclusive blenders on this one) and they are out of stock right now :(. I plan to grab at least a pound of this to cellar once it comes back in. There is something very special about this blend and I see myself have a long love affair with it.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Many tobaccos with Perique have a black pepper taste. One my favorites, G.L. Pease Cairo, has hints of it that get stronger if you smoke it to fast. It also has hints of cardamon, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a bunch more going on.
I don't smoke much in the way of aromatics, but I do enjoy Dan's Da Vinci and Blue Note on occasion. They taste somewhat similar to the way they smell. Frankly, non-aromatics don't taste like they smell either. The only tobacco I've ever tried that was very close to the way it smelled was Lady Red's Rum from Steven Brooks at House of Calabash. It smells like cinnamon spiced rum and tastes very similar. Pipes magazine did an article on him and his shop a few years ago. Lady Red's Rum isn't listed on the website, so you'd probably need to call him if you are interested in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.