PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
They are both burleys, of the sort sometimes referred to as "codger burleys", "OTC blends", "drugstore blends", or "American classics".

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Scourge of the tobacco world"?

"Appeasement to the lowest common denominator"?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
They are different branches of the same tree.
As others have indicated, they are old time burleys.
Fairly straightforward and simple flavours, but reliable performers in their own right.
Do you ask because you smoke these or because you are curious about them?

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
+1 Fisher and Phillip! I have been on a Half & Half kick of late and really like it for everyday.
Lawrence, there's a difference in the H&H in the pouch and tub? I know that locally the PA tub is crimp cut and the pouches can be had in either crimp cut or not.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Greg, the biggest difference I hear about OTC tobaccos in general when we discuss the variation between pouch and tub is that the tubs usually contain less moisture/humectant overall because they maintain freshness better. That may lead to some improved flavour. (I don't know this firsthand, these are just things I've read)
Sir Walter Raleigh, on the other hand, is often dry as dust in the pouches and the tubs are a little better because they are at the proper moisture levels. Again, it's all hearsay coming from me!
I haven't had Half & Half in a nice while but I liked it, despite the steam burn I got from the excessive moisture. PA was nice as well, though neither would win any awards for complexity. They just offer a consistent and accessible experience. (Unless you are like me and can't get them dry enough!)

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I thought we all agreed that there would be no snobbishness tolerated
Especially since he asked his question in the Beginner's Forum.

He wasn't even playing in one of the Big-Boy forums.
I apologize for my laughing. I hadn't even noticed it was in the beginner forum since I usually only check the latest discussions.
That said, I think it's fair game to let the OP know that these tobaccos are mass-produced, and are kind of like Budweiser or Pabst Blue Ribbon: you get those who love them and those who think they are poor quality products.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks for covering for me, Mick.
I will try to be more sensitive and politically correct when expressing my opinions.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Don’t mind bigvan… I know him personally and consider him a friend. I can promise you he is not nearly the pipe and tobacco snob he appears to be… :wink:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have no problem calling a spade a spade but I see the value in these blends. I'd honestly be more inclined to mock aromatics but I know that there'd be a mob raised up to hunt me down...
It's all good though, I just prefer to live and let live.
Honestly, though, I don't know how much outright political correctness I can stand. LOL.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think that everyone should smoke what they like and have an open mind to many different blends. It is obvious that OTC's are the best selling tobacco's on the market so many people enjoy them. I personally choose not to smoke them, but that is my tastes talking. I think that you should try them along with some higher quality blends to see the difference. I have always wondered why people think they are saving money by smoking them, they are not that cheap. When you break it down to cost per bowl, you are talking pennies to smoke higher quality tobacco's. I also have an aversion to blends that are loaded with PG and that gunk up my pipes, which is another reason I am not a fan of OTC's.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
They definitely have their fair share of PG. That is the main thing I have against them. They give me tongue bite/steam burn unless they've been sufficiently dried. (And that may take hours)
Honestly, if I lived in a rural area in the US where it was $3-4 a pouch for PA or SWR I'd probably smoke them an awful lot myself without feeling the need to branch out.
As cigrmaster says, though, sample widely and decide for yourself. It isn't that much more in the scheme of things to go for tinned blends if that's what you prefer and there is no shame if you'd rather just pick up some burley at the gas station, either...

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I get confused, even though I have read articles 4-5 times, ase to what is a burley, english et all. Have molto, Mcbarens, Frogs, 1Qs,7 seas, Balkans,and more & can't say what any of them are except good.

I have a can of CH that I mix with tobaccos I buy that I won't buy again and have been lucky, turned out good every time so far & cuts costs.

But I will never be a Professional. I get what I like!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I thought bigvan's remark was funny, although being PC isn't my strong suit either. I smoke enough 1-Q that I'd fail the snob test anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.