PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobke

Lurker
Nov 11, 2012
Hey guys I smoke pipe for more than 1 year and i was thinking to buy some new pipe and this is what i found on amazon: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71wQh4RjgtL._AA1500_.jpg . could you explain me what kind of pipe filter is this. Where can I find them(how they are called) and how to use them. Thank you very much.

Jul 12, 2011
Not a filter,but a Stinger. Some like/leave'em in, I for one don't

like them and remove as I think they have a reverse effect and you

can't pass a cleaner easily

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Not a filter,but a Stinger. Some like/leave'em in, I for one don't

like them and remove as I think they have a reverse effect and you

can't pass a cleaner easily
+ 1
Stingers are supposed to give a cooler smoke and reduce gurgle. I don't feel it helps the pipe much and I remove it. However, if it doesn't pull out easily, I leave it in since it doesn't hurt the smoke either ( but you will have to separate the stem from the shank if you want to clean it.)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the PM.com forums, jobke! :clap:
Most smokers avoid pipes with internal plumbing because the problems they create outweigh the benefits.

Click on this image to link to a SmokingPipes.com blog on the subject.
And here's an interesting link imbedded in a Dr. Grabow site.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Welcome aboard jobke. I'm sure you will find a wealth of information here. I know I have.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I have always avoided brands with stingers or filters. I recently bought two estate pipes that have stingers and, like others on this forum, found they cause more problems than they solve. They almost never get smoked.
Take it out if you can and save it, in case you decide at some time to sell the pipe.
Do you know what kind of wood the pipe is? It looks like something other than briar to me.
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks and good advice here.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
So much hate for stingers, eh? I recently refurbished a nice Comoy's Everyman 307 that came with the stinger. Cleaning it up was a pain (hello 0000 steel wool!) but I have to say - I really do like the stinger. The pipe smokes extremely dry and cool when it's in.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I have 3 regular smokers that have stingers and I love them all..I have found if you smoke them slow and smooth they're fine

Status
Not open for further replies.