PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I have been with the forum a while and was wondering? Sure I have seen dogs and cats on here but do any of you have other pets? I used to own a rainbow boa and can't find any pics of it currently.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
One of my exes had a thing for spiders; It's creepy having a herpetarium in a house.... 40 tarantulas which in themselves weren't too bad, but having to raise crickets etc. for feed. Let's just say crickets smell very bad.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Growing up with my crazy animal lady mom, I've had hundreds of pets. I'm talking pet dogs (most at one time was 27), cats, birds, fish, gerbils, goats, cows (they figured out how to open the sliding glass door and come in the kitchen; would moo you in the face when you were coming down the hall and scare the hell out of you), a pet fox and a pet bear. Quick like a fox is real. Also, bears are really cool. Very loyal little dude. He was a little black orphan. My sister kept him in a little cage (he didn't need a cage) and was planning on upgrading it, but he died before she could. If you let him out of his cage that meant wrestling, 100% of the time.
You see him for the first time and your first thought is, 'What the hell is wrong with my family?'. So you look closer and say, ok it's a dog. Then you let him out and begin wrestling and you quickly go, 'Oh, but quick like a cat!'. Then he chomps on you and you say, 'Oh no, that's a BEAR! What the hell is wrong with my family?'.
Very fast and VERY strong. The thing was, he was keeping score, so every time you scored a point, he'd escalate until wrestling always ended with, 'Ow ow, get off me you stupid bear' and put him back in his cage. You'd be a bit bruised and maybe a bit bloody, but he was being gentle. I have no doubt he could have crushed my legs or arms, but he was just playing.
My sister went away for a week and the guy that was supposed to give him water didn't, and he died in his little cage. Already an orphan too. She absolutely refused to tell him who was to look after him, which was good for that person.
You have to be careful and understand animals though; one of my favorite Gary Larson cartoons is of an old trapper in his cabin with a hook for an arm, beside his pet bear eating out of her supper dish. The trapper's saying, 'Yep, raised the ol' girl from a cub, I did. Course we had to get a few things straight between us. She don't try to follow me into town anymore, and I don't take away her food bowl 'till she's done'.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
We have a Flat Coated Retriever named Maia, two cats (one who is plotting the revolution and hand-rolls her own cigarellos while recon'ng locations to ambush her daughter) named Turtle and Pixie... and I am, sadly, temporarily out of the aquarium hobby. My best, at one time, was 200 gallons above floor in three separate aquariums.
Aquarium dollars, energy and time is currently being applied to pipe collecting, refurbishing, relocating... I'm not feeling the absence of fish too keenly.
-- Pat

carbz13

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2013
We have two cats now, when we get our own house I want an ACD. We did have a sugar glider for a while too.

briarben

Lurker
Mar 28, 2013
Over the years my family has had dogs, cats, horses, and a sheep. Right now I don't have anything(stupid apartments). I have thought about getting a bearded dragon though.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Shih Tzu, they have as much energy as a Jack Russel, just have to keep up with the fur trimming. I was surprised at the amount of energy as you always hear that about the Jack Russels not the Shih Tzu's. Pretty smart dogs and they don't shed that much at all. Great little dogs.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
I currently have a bearded dragon. She thinks she is a dog though. She is really sweet and will beat on the side of her cage until you take her out and hold her. She loves to go walking on her leash too. Other pet besides dogs and cats that I've had in the past have been tarantulas, a scorpion, a ball python, garter and rat snakes, turtles (red ear sliders, snapping and box), anoles, rabbits, a ferret, opossums and a squirrel. There are probably some that I am forgetting. "Eaten plenty of 'em, though. It was my favorite street-food in the Philippines". Mike, you just became my hero. I have to try monkey meat now. I love trying new and unusual foods. There are only a handful of critters that I won't eat like skunks or coyotes, but just about everything else is fair game to me.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
That is Chloe in my picture, a Yorkiepoo puppy and my buddy. The best personality and my shadow as she follows me everywhere. She loves to sit in my lap when it is "pipe time".

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Being married to a veterinarian, our home has been shared by a variety of creatures. Of course, there have been the usual runs of cats and dogs. And then there were the birds. The full grown snapping turtle that that had been struck by a car and inhabited the bathtub in the upstairs bathroom, while our three sons complained that they had to use the shower. Eventually my wife did the surgery on the turtle's shell, and when it had healed, released her back into the wild. Then there was Audrey, another snapping turtle, raised from an egg to adult size and eventually released into the wild. Various boas, a green tree python, panther chameleon, frogs. I should point out that except for the cat and dog variety, the remainder were brought into the house by our sons, who figuring that Mom was the vet, would help take care of them, ensuring that they received the best care possible.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Wow Rav your house sounds like a boys dream, I lost my friend Ki, but am about to get another one thanks to my son, I live on a farm and have many cats, I am a sucker for a hungry animal, can"t stand it,I feed every stray that comes my way, my Grandfather told me in his Cajun French the worst thing a man could do was abuse an animal, your house sounds like an animals dream, way to go. :clap:

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
2013-04-16174733_zps7a5ef84c.jpg

2013-04-14132821_zps119cef24.jpg

2013-02-21150500_zpsa3a8f838.jpg

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I live in a zoo right now. I have cats, rats, dogs, lizards, tortoises, turtles, and fish. Most of the furs and several of the turtles were unwanted and given to us because we had space and a pond for them. I'm a sucker for an animal in need and can't say no. For the most part they coexist peacefully and for that I'm grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.