Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clutch

Lurker
Jun 10, 2011
G’day to all! I'm new to the forum so...please... be gentle...

I've only joined a few days ago but have been lurking for a few months. I like the idea of the trade a tin for a sampole thingy, but I read a post where somebody wanted a little more time on the forum before tobacco was shipped off. When I get a little time on the site, I’ll participate in the gig.
I've been smoking a pipe for about 4 months now and I'm addicted; not to the nicotine (although that doesn’t hurt), but the lifestyle. Very laid back and relaxing. The slow down with a cool pipe is a good change for me as I work in South America and only get back home about once a month so I always seem to be coming or going. In Lima, (closest city with a tobacco shop and that’s a 10 hour bus ride down the mountain!), I’ve only found two smoke shops and they only stock the drug store variety. Not that I turn my nose up to them, I have tried several and some are quite delightful... I mostly buy tin tobacco on line and have it shipped to my house and pick it up when I get home. I did a search on the forum and didn't really read what I wanted to read so if this is redundant, please point me in the right direction… gently I’m sensitive:
... One post was on the humidity levels needed for pipe tobacco vs. cigars. This was helpful and told me that I really DON’T want the tobacco more than 20% humidity I don’t know how moisture content relates to humidity but (calculated in my feeble mind) from what the poster (cortezattic) said, was like a 10-15% moisture content range is what I want ); but what I figure is that if I have a humidor, and the hygrometer shows 40%, then I should have at least 40% moisture content in the tobacco... is that logical? Hey, I work in a copper mine; I'm not a rocket scientist. So that’s real low for when I'm at home 'cause the humidity is like 90% (Houston) and 40-50% is about the range of humidity on top of the Andes Mountains (4800 meters above sea level) in a small cesspool.
...Another poster (Romeowood) started a post that talked about the different types of jars that are available and I have started another “want to” in collecting some of the older ones as I think they look cool and I like vintage "stuff". That's for me and Mrs. Whistlebritches to search for at antique shops and flea markets when I’m on R&R... Not too handy for traveling though and living in a cramped man camp for 20 days straight but, travel systems is another post for later...
…Another poster, can't remember who, talked about using an Igloo ice chest which is quite functional since I’m away from my entire “stash” for an extended period, but somehow keeping $10-$70 tins of tobacco in an Igloo cooler doesn’t appeal to me. BUT, I’m gonna do it ‘cause it makes sense (now I’m a rocket scientist)… But, I still want something I don’t have to dig through and has a little eye appeal.
I have a cigar humidor that I currently use for keeping the few tins I have and it works well for now. But, because I’m a newb, I am trying different blends to see what I like the best and anticipate quite a collection over time. So far, in addition to a few others back home, I have Peterson Sunset Breeze, WOL 1864 and a bulk blend Lord Menthley’s that was a sample included with a purchase from 4noggin.com (if the plug for 4Noggins is inappropriate, please don’t read that part…) because I’ve spent like two of my last 3 paychecks on pipes and pipe paraphernalia. No, Mrs. Whistlebritches doesn’t know…yet. I like the Lord Menthley’s but again, that is for another post…
So, having said all of that, I want something that is like a large desktop that’s not real deep, with glass so you can see the different tins without having to dig through all of them. I have seen the VECTOR HM-304 or variations of a large (100 cigar) countertop display and I like the looks of it and it would fit nicely in the man cave not to mention in my paltry budget. BUT, I would like to know opinions of you EPSs that frequent here. One thing I have learned over my few years on God’s mostly green earth is to ask what others do, research it and then do what works best for me. I want to make sure that some of you young (mentally and physically) folks with experience have tried in your past exploits. If you want to build a better shovel, ask those dig!
I know it’s a long for my first post, so, like I said, please be gentle on the newb! Thanks in advance for the help, and thanks to all that have sent me “friends” invites, it’s nice to feel welcome when you’re the court jester among knights!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
For most of my stash I use mason jars. They are cheap and easy to find. Another good feature is they will retain freshness nearly indefinitely. I also collect antique humidors. as seen here :

humidors-2.jpg

Most don't seal all that well and are mainly display items.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I fall under the mason jar fan club also. They seem readily accessible and won't leave an aftertaste like a pickle jar or such. but, as always defer to the more experienced members.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Hey clutch, welcome to the forum officially, and don't forget to put a welcome post in the new members thread!

TO answer, at least partially, your questions, as I understand them:

Keep your tobacco at 16-20% Relative Humidity. Period.

Keep your tobacco in the tins it comes in, or in glass. Ziplocs or other sealable food-grade bags will be ok for short periods, but not for long. Humidors are no good for pipe tobacco for several reasons.

For storage: Sealed tins should be kept cool & dry and out of sunlight. Bail-top glass jars (that are usable for canning--very important to have a hermetic seal) are great for short-to-medium storage, where you're dipping into the container now and again. I haven't had one fail yet. Same with mason jars, though I prefer bail-tops for the ease of use. Always sterilize them--even with mold inhibitors, tobacco is a perfect medium for spore growth.

For aging, mason jars rimmed with a dab of beeswax, heated for a few minutes in a hot oven, then sealed to create a slight vacuum should last indefinitely.

For crating and transport, well...a cooler padded with foam isn't a bad idea for bringing a half-dozen jars with you when on a work stretch. I don't have any other real solutions in that regard...but I'm sure some of the other members have a trick up their sleeves.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Here is something that is cheap and works great. Get a pop cooler/ice chest - put a glass (real glass) of water in it (distilled is the best). Put your tobacco in it - and there you go a great home made humidor - cheap! I have had mine for almost 2 years - keeps my tobacco fresh. :)
downsize-3.jpg

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
My humidors have been empty at my house for many months...ever since I quit storing those finicky cigars.
Nothing more than Kerr jars are used for my pipe tobacco's, (Kerr jars are the same as Mason jars).
A couple dozen of the 8oz jars holding about an ounce of tobacco, and a dozen or so of the large 24oz size for the bulk tobaccos.
I've kept several of them full for over a year now and the tobacco's are still perfect.

May 10, 2011
I have a overpriced Italian made humidor. Looks and works great. I can keep a half lb. in it and it stays moist and fresh. LD Jonathan :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
For the most part pipe tobacco comes at the proper moisture, or humidity, level. All you need to do when you get it is to properly store it. Unopened tins don't need anything. Just put them away.
You can read more about it in my article here:
Pipe Tobacco Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.