What Is Your Single Most Favorite Thing About Smoking a Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I thought this might be an interesting thread :)
As for me, I love spending the time with a new blend, finding that I enjoy it, and then taking my sweet time to really get to know the flavors in it. Picking out the various components, learning the blend’s smoking cadence, etc. Curling up with it like a good book, and finding that it quickly becomes a reliable friend.
This is my single-most favorite thing about pipe smoking.
I’d love to read everyone’s responses!

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
It's meditative. I love pipe smoking for the same reason I love shining my shoes and mowing my yard: it's enough of an activity to keep me occupied, but it's not so complicated as to keep my mind from wandering.
Oh, and it tastes great.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After almost thirty years, I'm certainly no hobbyist I'm just a smoker. That being said, my favorite thing would have to be restoring old pipes to active service.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I love the whole ritual of selecting a pipe, choosing the right tobacco, loading the bowl carefully, then lighting and enjoying a nice smoke.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Recluse, you hit it on the head. Pipe smoking makes me SLOW DOWN so I can appreciate life, being happy where you are, who you are and what you have.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Recluse, you hit it on the head. Pipe smoking makes me SLOW DOWN so I can appreciate life, being happy where you are, who you are and what you have.
:puffy:

You got it!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
All of it. Every single thing about it.
I knew from a very young age that I wanted to smoke a pipe and at the very first opportunity I bought a pipe.
Never looked back.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Relaxation and escape from thinking about work.
The history of tobacco blends and pipes and the people who smoked them.
The great and voluminous tobacco flavors and aromas.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sensory pleasures of taste, fragrance, tactile on mouth and hands, the ritual and rhythm, the culture of history and tradition, the sociability, and meditative frame of mind, and the relaxation. Those are at least some of the pipe smoking "favorite things." The visual pleasures of shape, design, materials.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
One of my hobbies is scratch building rubber powered balsa airplanes. I especially like the WWII birds. I can sit at my building desk for literally hours on end and having a pipe in my mouth as I work keeps the nicotine habit fed without getting smoke in my eyes and no need for an ashtray. It also reminds me to get up and stretch once in a while if I lose track and have to relight.
Oh yeah, I really like the taste too :)

Jan 8, 2013
It's hard to say what my "single most" favorite thing is. I have a few. Mainly, the relaxation it gives me. The comforting feel of a warm briar in my hand, the scent of the tobacco wafting up from the bowl, the flavors within a blend. If I'm stressed, it gives me peace. If I'm at peace, it adds to that peace.
Also, sometimes when I'm smoking a pipe, the pipe fairies will come out of hiding and sit on my shoulders where they also will smoke a pipe. They tell me stories of the fairy world, and the goings on there, and about fairy life in general. They'll tell jokes, talk about sports... Acorn Tackle Toss is a favorite of theirs, and humming bird racing. They also like to sing. Four of them are in a barbershop quartet together. You should hear them harmonize! :mrgreen:

Reactions: Sheikjabril720

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I do it because all the other kids on the playground are doing it. Seriously, I do it for the smoke, appreciation of a fine pipe, finding the flavors of a blend and relaxing. I also have made plenty of lifelong friends who are amazing people! I also enjoy the stories and jokes that come from a group of degenerates smoking together.

andromeda

Lurker
Nov 23, 2018
I like the ceremony of stopping the pipe, and then I completely relax while smoking the pipe. :puffy:
Regards Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.