PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Do you have a special setup at home for your pipes and accessories and tools? For example, to keep everything in one place on my desk, I got a Coca Cola narrow tray (the kind used in Coke's early advertising, with an attractive girl in turn-of-the-century clothing holding a glass of Coke beneath the famous logo), placed that under the window sill where my desk is located, then on the tray I have a Celtic dragon resin ashtray; beside that is the pipes I'm using that particular day; my Zippo lighter (a special vampire picture on the Zippo; I'm writing a vamppie novel); my Brigham pipe tool by the ashtray, and on one corner my Brebbia tobacco pouch (see the pouch and my review of it in "Accessories" along with my review of the Brigham tool on smokingipes.com0; and on the other corner my tinned tobacco for the day. The arrangement is rather eclectic but keeps everything in one place and organized and is attractive.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I have a small shelf beside my la-z-boy with one rack, a few tampers, and a small amount of tobacco (two jars usually). The rest of my racks of pipes and my cellar are kept in a large storage cabinet in my workshop. Much as I'd love to have everything out, it's just not feasible from a space standpoint in my rec room. Once I go through all the pipes in the rack, I replace it with another rack from the cabinet and keep rotating in that manner.
I'm on a hunt of thrift and antique stores to replace the rec room shelf with a small cabinet or writing desk. It will have to fit my pipes I need out for my rotation, but it's more for room aesthetics as I'm trying to "de-modernize" the place slightly.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Nah. I have a small walk-in "man closet" downstairs where I have my gun safe, ammo, small whiskey collection, camping stuff, and now a shelf dedicated to pipes & tobacco.

leg59

Lurker
Jul 6, 2013
Greenville, SC
Currently, I have one shelf from a Barrister Bookcase dedicated to my pipes and tobacco. The wife says NO! to smoking in the house and does not even like the smell of the tobaccos I currently have. I find the glass door on the shelf keeps the (wonderful to me) smells contained and helps promote marital bliss. As I am new to pipe smoking, this has been sufficient so far, but at my current rate of accumulating new tobaccos and pipes, this will soon not be enough!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I am fortunate (although many would say otherwise) in that I'm a lifelong bachelor. The only other person who lives here is my mom, for whom I'm a caregiver. Out of deference to her, I smoke only inside my office/study. This is the most important place anyway, since I'm a writer and do most of my work in here, and writing involves a lot of contemplation, which pipe smoking helps greatly.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Two shelves in my wife's curio cabinet. BUT, when I was in the basement I found an 1930's cabinet that needs shelves and a door, so after my houseful of family leaves, that's my new project.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My desk has a series of shelves for sorting paper products, sized about right for a box of labels with a bottom shelf just about right for a ream of paper. I keep my pipe cleaners there, along with a tobacco pouch and Czech tool, a Marble's waterproof matchbox and a small box of Diamond matches, and (until recently) a butane lighter. The Zippo fits in fine if I lay it down on its side, as does the Brigham tamper I just bought.
The pipes, for the most part, are in an egg carton on another shelf. I need to obtain another and relabel, since I'm now dedicating pipes to major tobacco types (Aros, English/Latakias, Va/Pers, Burleys, Other...) - I initially only had Aros and Englishes to worry about.
The tobaccos are in glass jars on a couple of other shelves - half of them in larger swing-top jars from IKEA with silicone/rubber seals (they changed designs between shopping trips) that will hold 4 oz. comfortably, and the other half in smaller "spice jars" with screw-on lids with silicone seals that manage 1-2 oz. with no problem.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Geez, Tarak, alcohol, tobacco and firearms? You don't work for the government, do you?
Russ

puffinbilly

Lurker
Jul 26, 2013
Germany
Hi Gents,
We pipe smokers tend to have a fair bit of loose equipment dedicated to our hobby; current pipe, a tin or perhaps two of the tobacco of the day, tamper, perhaps filters, matches or lighter also I have a thin wooden tube with a couple of pipe cleaners. And that’s just what is spread around your jacket pockets when you wander out of the house. Still we need it all; because there is nothing quite as bad as being all settled on the veranda, flake folded and neatly packed, anticipating the great moment when the flame will kiss the top of the leaf, that wonderful aroma will fill the air, the first ribbon of smoke will dance across your tongue and ..............she who must be obeyed has tidied away your lighter.
I always know where all my pipe smoking accoutrements are, neat and tidy and somewhere I didn’t leave them.
Bill

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I keep my pipes together in a plastic bin and my tobacco in a cedar box. Looking for a box I can renovate into a display case, but for now, what I have works.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
On my desk is an old tobacco tin that serves as an ash tray, with a pipe nail in it. Down in the basement is a shelf with racks of pipes and the current tobacco rotation, usually jarred. If it's not jarred, it means I just opened the tin. On the floor near by is an old 32 qt cooler that serves as the cellar; sitting on top of that are two large storage boxes that contain the pantry - tins and jars of tobacco that I am not trying to age, like the cellar, but that I haven't got around to opening yet.

Today's pipes and tobacco sit on another desk in my computer room, where my desk is, along with a small plastic storage box containing cleaners, tamper, etc., along with the pipes. Since I only smoke in this room, with the windows open, when my wife is not at home, or outside, this works well. I can grab pipe and tobacco, along with my current book, on my way out the door.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I do but am notorious for not using them. My wife threatened me today that if I don't clean all the tobacco dust out of our coffee table drawer, she's going to toss all my tobaccy. And she would!

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Just getting settled in my new house. Well, new to me, since it was built in the 30's. But the whole place has been updated over the years and there is more cabinet space in the kitchen than I know what to do with. So one cupboard has my pipes and tobacco. I'm tearing down old fences here though, and I'm going to use some of the wood to build rustic shelving and furniture. Then I can have the collection on open display along with tons of antique items I have, and have found, on the property.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have my setup in the living room. I have a funky corner that pretty much nothing will fit in so I bought this shelf to house my growing collection. It's only a few steps from my covered deck off the back of the house so it's easy to grab what I feel like and head on out to the deck.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Nice setup brdavidson. For me I currently have a kitchen cabinet dedicated to all my tobacco and accessories. Its a bit of a hassle. But I am in the process of converting my one car garage to a "man cave". It will serve as my primary smoking location and I should be able to have all my items located there...weather permitting.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
For the winter months I convert my wooden shed to my Man Cave. It's kinda sad, but my mother-in-law lives in an apartment I built for her in the basement so there's no chance of using that, and I don't have a garage. I just turn on the space heater in the shed about a half hour before I go in and wear a winter coat. Bring a tablet and a drink and I'm good to go. Gets a little chilly at times however.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
WOW Bri, I love that set up. That collection is looking a lot fatter than the pics we were taking 5 months ago :)
I hope all is well with you. I was reading some earlier posts and I think I am going to enjoy a bowl or two of St James Woods tonight :puffy:

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Here is my set up. Some of the pipes are no longer here, but the set up is still the same.

This is the top drawer, I have my mason jars, and most of my unopened tins in here.

This is the bottom drawer. In the red cigar box I keep all my Aros, VAs VAPers, and other non-English blends that are in baggies. In the cigar box to the right, I keep all my English blends. The is another cigar box behind the red one, but the pictures is dark so you can't see it. I keep all my snuff in this one. As you can see I also have a few tins in here. I also keep both of my Gourd Calabashes and my two cased meers in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.