What is your "NEW vs USED" price break differential?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Well, sorry, but I couldn't come up with a better word for it. Here's what I mean.
Let's say that you desire a #123 pipe for your collection.
Let's say that a brand new #123 sells for $100.
Let's also say that there is a #123 on Ebay that has good pics and is said to be lightly used by the previous owner, and the seller has a 100% rating.
At what point, as the bidding price rises, would you stop and say, "Naw, at this price, I'd rather spend (??) dollars MORE and purchase a brand new #123?"

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
OK, thanks. Interesting. I would have thought closer to about 80% of the new-pipe value. Hmmm...I probably need to rethink this.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It greatly depends on the pipe, your budget, other variables and the market at the time. In some ways there is no rhyme or reason behind it other that whats in your and the sellers heads. I collect mostly English pipes. A new Dunhill 6103 can have a retail of $800 to $1200 I won't pay that but I will pay up to $300 for a used one in like new condition. Thats just my limit these days. (it may stem from a desire to not wake up and find my testicles removed remove by my wife for spending more than that) I love old Upshalls. In the size I like they retail for $560 on up but I will only buy them used and generally won't spend more than $150 for them. On the other hand, if I can find an Ferndown thats new for $300 in like new used condition for $200, I would pay that. I just paid $200 for a new old Ashton where as I can get a new one for about $235. lol Think about all that and try to find the squirrel running around my head.
Before I buy, I always ask, what are my chances of finding a pipe with these qualities

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
On e-bay I only go real cheap. Nothing over $30.00. My best deals have been estates in reasonably good to great condition. If necessary, I then have the pipe restored. My Jobey Band Pipe which Floyd Norwood just restored to outstanding condition was acquired for $19.00 along with a double walnut pipe stand/rest and a no name poker which I just oiled up and polished. My most expensive purchase was a new Pete Kinsale XL20 for $109.00. At a certain point, and I think I've reached mine, a guy really has enough pipes for a good rotation and the focus shifts toward the next great tobacco blend. My "gotta try" list is tobacco focused for the great pipes I already happily own.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Really, for me, it all depends on how much I like the pipe - I've dropped more money than I care to share on OTC makers, because the shape sung to me; while passing on big-names because they just don't fit my ideal pipe...the exception to the rule being a GBD Prodigy I recently acquired; its freaking huge (I tend towards smaller pipes), but I still had to own it...
Basically, I decide on a number I am willing to pay for said pipe, if I win, great - I've usually scored a screaming deal; if I lose (90% of the time), so be it.

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
I personaly wouldnt use ebay or simmilar to find a pipe I could easily get in the local B&M, even if it was more from new. I don't really care for the cold computer experiance, with no garuntee that I would actually get the pipe for what I think is reasonable. I'd rather have the personal interaction and pay a little more for a garuntee.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Yes, capnbellamy, I've had a few experiences where I bought pipes on Ebay, but if I'd had the chance to see and hold the pipes beforehand, I wouldn't have purchased them. For example, I've got a Peterson Aran which looked great on Ebay, but the fit of the shank and the mouthpiece is far from what I expected. You can't tell these types of things from photographs only.

Status
Not open for further replies.