PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Do you have a pipe that you just can't seem to like no matter what? I do! It's this homely little Kaywoodie "Ruf-Tone" bent Dublin w/stinger.

No matter what I smoke in it, or how I smoke it, it just doesn't smoke very well at all. I've had it for years, and have managed a couple of decent smokes with it, usually something like Carter Hall or Half & Half, but that's about it.

I can't bring myself to get rid of it though, as it was one of my first pipes, and a gift from my wife.

I'll probably keep it until the day I die, and I probably wont give up on it

, as I really want to like it.

It's light weight, and comfortable, but the damn thing always smokes on the hot side and gurgles something awful!

Maybe one day it'll turn out to be a decent smoker. I remember Foggy said he has one that took something like 40 years to come around, maybe this one wont take that long!
Anyway, here it is;

image17-600x450.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
What a pity. That's a great looking pipe. I have several Kaywoodies, and most are good smokers. Have you tried to remove the stinger? I have a Hilson billiard that smoked wet, until I put some miles on it. If your pipe is fairly clean briar, that may be the culprit. I rubbed a little honey in the pipe to speed up the aging process.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
The first pipe I bought, an overpriced medico. Terrible draw, cant pass a pipe cleaner, stem that cracked. Glad I've not had to smoke it in years haha.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My least favorite has to be an early 20th century calabash circa 1906. I just cannot get on with the thing and whilst it is fun to have one if I smoke twice in a year that is a lot!

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Mine would be an old Kaywoodie I have as well. I gave most away to folks interested in the hobby but I have an older one that I keep just because of the age to it. No matter what I do I just can not enjoy the smoke at all. Some folks have told me to neuter it and cut the stinger. I feel taking the stinger off kinda devalues the pipe.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well, my Brylon takes that prize but I also have a Peterson P-lip Sterling Silver billiard that has an awful draw. And third place goes to my Lane period Charatan which smokes hotter than Hades.

Jan 8, 2013
I would have to say the Savinelli 316ks I bought a few months back. Damn thing burned out on the first bowl, mildly, but still. Later that night, I dropped it from about knee height and snapped the stem and cracked the shank. Cursed bastard pipe. I chopped part of the shank off, cleaned out the mortise, sanded and refinished it, found a stem that fits it, but I still hate it. Next time I have a bonfire, I might just toss it in.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Mine is a Peterson Killarny Lovat. It's a pretty pipe but it had a habit of getting hot on me, particularly on one side of the bowl. I've been trying to smoke it slow hoping if I get a good uniform cake on it that would help. However I'm not convinced there's not something wrong with the briar. Haven't bothered contacting Peterson since I picked this one up as an estate and not sure how old it is or how the previous owner smoked it.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
It could be a Yello Bole lobat imported pipe to me.

As soon as light up bowl get hot what ever I do. I could not even touch it.

Still smoke once a year. lol.... 3 bucks paid.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a Luciano the wife bought me. It burns hot - as I have said on here before, every time I hold it during a smoke I feel like I am cupping Satan's testicles. She always asks me "How come you're not smoking my pipe?" I come up with some excuse but smoke it when we go for walks. She was proud of the gift and she "couldn't believe it cost $110 for a piece of wood!" She obviously has no clue what I have paid for other pipes, lol. Needless to say, I can't get rid of this one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Ruff-Tone (Kaywoodie of course) straight stem author, and it is a nice smoker. I think

Ruff-Tones are all Drinkless, so the stem screws on and the stinger isn't removable (or not without

a lot of engineering that might or might not work). However, my bit never tightens up perpendicular,

though it smokes fine. My least favorite pipe was a Chacom Dublin, a handsome sleek design, spare

and graceful with a 1/4 bent stem. It passed a pipe cleaner just fine, but wouldn't release the lint it

grabbed. I struggled with it for months, and finally traded it off. I just didn't think there was enough

stock in the stem and brim to widen the airway. On Luciano's, I have an author and a blast billiard, and

they are both nice solid pipes, cool smoking and nicely finished, just slightly heavier than others their

size, but not much. peck, I guess your wife just drew the short straw on that one.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
A brylon Medico Apollo. I hated that pipe. Like others, I got rid of all the pipes I had that weren't getting used or just sucked (performance wise or aesthetically). I only have 8 pipes now, down from 13. Sold the rest together as a lot on eBay after cleaning and polishing them all up. Somebody else's (better looking) problem now.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
A James Fox Tally Ho bent billiard that came included in my 'starter's kit'. It gurgles like a newborn, and after each of the first few smokes I'd find the palm of my hand tinged poisonous orange, thinking it was tar or something - turned out the varnish was just seeping from the bowl. Even aside from the mechanics, I wrecked it with various cheap amateur's aromatics and I'll hang on to it purely for sentimental reasons.
There's also a battered old Pete System bent estate I got for a reasonable price on eBay. God, the heartache that pipe has given me. The ad said 'ready to smoke', but when it arrived the reservoir and inner stem were utterly gummed with about three decades' worth of tars and resins. You could have greased a door hinge with that stuff. The whole thing stank of the brooding spectre of some codger Lakeland or something and everything I smoked out of it tasted rank. I cleaned it as minutely as I possibly could, to no avail. I put it through several salt-and-alcohol treatments. I filled it with carbon and baked it in the oven, as per Pease's procedure. No dice. Eventually I just had Peterson's put a new stem on it, which took four weeks and cost as much as the pipe itself had been to buy, and while that helped, there's enough of the ghost left haunting the stummel to plague me. I probably won't smoke it again, but at least I'll have it there as a caveat emptor against any future episodes of eBay madness.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Hate to admit it, but my Bjarne Viking Classic churchwarden is probably the pipe I smoke the least. The bowl is tiny, and the draw was very restricted when I first got it (I've opened it up since). It tends to gurgle, as I mostly smoked slightly goopy aromatics in it before moving on to English blends, and I just don't seem to get around to trying anything else in it now that I've got a better handle on drying, packing, and pacing myself.
I should probably dust it off tomorrow and give it another shot. I'm still sentimentally attached to it...

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Many years ago I had a pair of Barling Straight Grain canadians. Looked great on display but one smoked like something crawled into it and died. I was at the home of a another collector who I'd told how poorly this pipe smoked but he was sure that he was a superior smoker so he traded me for it (and I made him pay dearly).
We were sitting in his living room with his 10 year old daughter present when after about 10 minutes she asked in concern,
"Daddy, what's wrong? Are you ok?"
His face twisted in disgust he shouted, "This pipe tastes like sh*t!"
I still have the other canadian.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
My least favourite pipe is actually an okay smoker. It's a Captain Black estate pipe I picked up off of eBay awhile back. After cleaning it, restaining it, pretty much doing everything possible to it, it just looks blah. Literally. It just has a dull look to it.
I technically don't care what a pipe looks like as long as it smokes well, but this one is kind of boring so I don't tend to pick it up very often.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I've got a put together. One of those mismatched pipes that the stem does not match up with the stummel. Smokes good but is looks odd.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, take a walk with that pipe she bought, smash it on the ground and then go running in the house and tell her you almost got hit by a car and say you had to ward the car off with your pipe and tell her it saved your life.
I have no doubt an attorney with your gift of gab can easily sell that one.
I do not own one pipe in my collection that I find displeasing to smoke. My first pipe I ever bought is a Savinelli Linea Piu 5 and the only thing wrong with it is that it is a bit heavy for my tastes now but it still smokes like a champ.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I had one purchased from amazon.com that I hated so much that one day, on my way to work, I tossed it out the car window for a hundred trucks to run over.

Status
Not open for further replies.