PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Now here's a different (I hope) question: do you like to listen to music while relaxing with your pipe, and if so, what kind? I'm eclectic, and it depends on my mood: often it's rock like Led Zeppelin, other times it's the classics like Bach and Vaughn Williams, or if I want something really mellow (as in the mornings) I listen to Enya. Depends on mood.

snag

Lurker
Jul 30, 2013
Classical in the mornings lately. The rest of the time it's almost always Jazz(hard bop and modal from the late 50's to the early 70's).

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I listen to "Blue Tiki Lounge", "Gumbo Radio" or "Hawaiian Hi-Fi" on Live 365 or I'll have on the Cubs streaming through MLB.com on my tablet.

mannish

Lurker
Aug 10, 2013
I am a blues musician more times than not I am listening to something I will be playing, lately it was been Rev Gary Davis, Blind Willie McTell, Hot Tuna/Jorma..etc. I like all kinds if I was just relaxing it would be jazzy or gillian welch sort of stuff. Unfortunately about the only time I listen for pleasure is when I am floating around the pool with a cigar

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Physical Graffiti has been my fave pipe music as of late. But I do love throw'n on some Widespread Panic or Cheap Trick. The Buckingham/Nicks record is a good one to smoke to as well.
Mike

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
When I first read the thread headline I immediately thought of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhRa3REdozw
I agree totally with Anthony. Loreen McKennit's stuff is broody and romantic, and rolling. Her stuff makes me think of cold fall days with a biting wind off the ocean and a roaring fire... and stew, and good red wine. Yep, her stuff would totally work with a pipe.
-- Pat

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
Depends on my mood too-- could be anything from classical to jazz, standards, classic rock, vintage country-rock, 60's pop. Tonight, it's Beethoven.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
@anthonyrosenthal74 somehow, after those songs you sent me, I expected your answer to be a little....heavier :)
More often than not, if I'm smoking alone, I'm catching up on the pipesmag radio show, since I just found it a bit ago and I'm only halfway through the shows.
Otherwise, I enjoy folk stuff....like a Bob Dylan Pandora station.

Jan 8, 2013
@anthonyrosenthal74 somehow, after those songs you sent me, I expected your answer to be a little....heavier :)
Haha! My musical tastes, despite the music I play, are all over the board :) Let me know what you thought of the music :)

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Whatever I usually listen to is pipe music. Black metal, classical, oldies...doesn't matter much to me. I have music going almost 24/7. I even fall asleep with headphones on.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Pipe smoking is simply one of the ways I relax, so I tend to simply listen to my favorite music (Coheed and Cambria, Emery, Agalloch, Iron Maiden... It's a long list). However, if I'm smoking and trying to contemplate, I may also listen to Vivaldi or Chopin. My favorite pipe music is probably calm, sedate "folk metal" like Agalloch, Alcest or Thrawsunblat.

Yes, I like obscure music. Please keep the H-word to yourself.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I love a good movie with a full pipe and a glass of red wine are a good scotch, are moonshine.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
The Album Leaf, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, is what I listen to while relaxing with a pipe. Good to see another piper who's a fan of Coheed and Cambrian, Erich.

Status
Not open for further replies.