What is your favorite part about pipe smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I don't know what I like more. Going into a shoppe and smelling all the tobaccos, or the first smoke of that new tobacco. I guess you can't have one without the other, so I'm stuck as to which of the two I like more. What is your favorite part about pipe smoking?

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
+1 Hobie.
The place a good pipe takes you... where you forget the days cares, tomorrow's concerns, and yesterday's regrets.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Me too uber!
I like telling my friends they're wrong, and then pointing to the pipe. As if it bathes me in wisdom. 8)

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
well as a hobby as a whole definitely looking for new pipes and baccys and filling up shopping carts haha. for the actual smoking..probably the ritual and the char and 2nd light, and that as its been mentioned you forget about your concerns and worries.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Smoking is number 1. 2nd I really enjoy finding old dirty cheap pipes shine them up back to the works of art they were intended to be.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya I like buying old wrecks and fixing them up. I also enjoy filling the pipe before the actual light. Then I enjoy smoking it. hahahhah Guess it is the entire experience. It actually takes me 15-20 minutes in the morning to start my first pipe of the day.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I hit the best smoke ever point when I was sitting on the front porch of a cabin, enjoying a cool 47° summer evening in Montana with some Frog in the Meer and a cold, cloudy glass of Absinthe on the table. Just puff, sip, puff, sip... fade to black.

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
Absinthe is legal in America, although I think it doesn't have as much wormwood as the originals. Still insanely high in alcohol content. I've had it many times. I'm 25, first had it for my 21st birthday, so it's been legal here for at least four years.

tre123

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2012
Being new to this I would have to say I enjoys all I've experienced so for. Enjoy the learning and the knowledge here

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yes, the import restriction on Absinthe has been lifted in the U.S. since 2007. Here is some useful info from the Wormwood Society: http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=184&Itemid=235 With some exceptions, there is no real difference in the wormwood content of pre-ban or currently produced absinthes.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
You can find absinthe in your local liquor store *if it's any good* and for me pipe smoking is a time to sit, relax, and think. If I ever have a hard choice to make or something bothering me I just try to push it to the side and wait for my nightly pipe and sit and think about it. I get much more done not worrying throughout the day and I get a lot more answers with time devoted to just thinking. A pipe is part of my whole life.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Absinthe is an herb-based liquor. It is usually either clear (blanche or lebleue) or green (verte). If you have a taste for anise, hyssop, fennel and similar herbs, you will probably like it. Some compare it to licorice in the way it smells, but you can hate black licorice and still like absinthe. Preparation is often the biggest factor in whether you will or won't like it. Drinking it straight, in shots is a very, very bad idea. The alcohol can be almost 70% (compared to whiskey at 40-45% and Jaegermeister at 35%). It will destroy you (and this is part of where it got its "dangerous" reputation).
Proper preparation is 1 part (usually 1-1/2oz) Absinthe in a glass, then slowly drip ice cold water into the glass until it louches (becomes cloudy) and the mix is about 4 parts water to 1 part Absinthe. Some choose to place an absinthe spoon with a sugar cube on top of the glass and drip the water over the sugar. This will make a very sweet drink.
Notice I did not mention lighting it on fire. This is a contribution of Hollywood and not part of tradition. Also putting fire near 70% alcohol can result in you looking like Freddy Krueger.
Last part. Drink sloooooooooooooow. Like your pipe, sip, don't gulp. Drinking too much absinthe too fast will give you the most brutal hangover in the world. Worse than Tequila, even.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I love the PAD, the TAD, the trying new blends, the ritual of playing with my flakes and finally the smoking. It slows me down and keeps me stress free.

Status
Not open for further replies.