What is Your Favorite 'Drug Store' Brand Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
From 'Drug Store' pipes which would be your favorite brand. These are the brands.
Dr. Grabow

Kaywoodie

Medico

Yello-Bole

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
The cheapest briar I've ever smoked is now the only briar I have: a Shalom Deluxe - but worth a lot more now since it hasn't been in production for many years.

The cheapest metal pipe I own (I have 19) is a Yello Bole, also worth much more now for the same reason.

The cheapest of all pipes I have are two MM Country Gent cobs.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've only smoked a Kaywoodie, mine is from the '70s and it's a great smoker. From my research into these brands (not extensive by any means), I'd say that Kaywoodie (especially older ones) is the "Dunhill" of OTC pipes.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Well if you added Missouri Meerschaum in there you would have listed 70% of my collection :)
But with the options listed I would have to say it is a toss up between Dr Grabow and Kaywoodie which would explain belonging to forums specific to those two brands.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
scurvydog > that's actually why I posted this question. I'm ordering Peter Stokkebye Bullseye Flake, Luxury Navy Flake & Luxury Twist Flake. Toss up though in trying it in a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke (E) or a Kaywoodie Campus (J) pipe. Like to hear suggestions on the best design pipe of the price range for flakes.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I have a Grabow Crown Duke that delivers a fine smoke.
img_0125-600x450.jpg

I also have a pair of Yello-Bole brylons that I bought as a newbie mistake. But if we are including MMs in the question, my loyalties lie with the cob.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
lifeon2 > I love my cobs! I have one bent & 2 straight Legends, Great Dane Spool & Egg, bent & straight Diplomat & one Missouri Pride. I mostly smoke my aromatics in those.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
It's funny, I swore at the beginning of my hobbying that I wouldn't smoke a cob, too cheesy looking. Then I ordered a Country Gent on a whim just because I'd heard so much about them and I have to say it's one of my favourite smokers now (I have 2 now and a bent Legend). Anyways to the original question, my Grabow is a very decent smoker and I smoke my flakes in that as well.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Well,since you left out MM, I can safely say I don't smoke any drug store pipes. Don't intend to do so, either - been there,done that.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Split between Dr. Grabow and Kaywoodie for me. As lifeon2 said, these two manufacturers along with MM make up the vast majority of my collection and regular rotation.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I only have one Grabow, its pre 1945, and one KW from the late 60s

I've had a couple newer versions of each but I don't like them, any of them

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am going to jump the track on the multiple choice aspect of this question, but my preferred American-made

inexpensive pipe is not a drugstore pipe. In fact most of the drugstores in my area no longer carry pipes of

any kind, and the chain tobacco shops that cater to cigarette smokers don't either. My local Walmart and

KMart and groceries don't. But for a good, inexpensive pipe, you might try Iwan Ries exclusives (they have

a well designed website that features IRC exclusives among scores of other pipes. Theirs are made by

Benton, mostly, which I believe manufactures pipes in Texas. (Fact check anyone?) From between $36 and

$52, last time I checked, you can get a superior pipe. These won't win any admiration at the pipe club,

but really do the job and look more interesting with age.

coreyr

Lurker
Feb 4, 2013
Virginia
You know, I have a couple of Grabows, which I purchased back around 1990, which are good pipes, I don't care what the snobs have to say about it. I would not buy one today because they are so expensive that I can buy a much better pipe for little more money. Also, as I recall, Dr Grabows were always "hit or miss." Sometimes they were great, more often, they were bad.

MM cobs are almost always good. I use them for hiking and fishing. That way, if I drop it over the side of my canoe, I feel little compulsion to A) jump in after it or B) immediately blow my brains out for being so careless.

I also have some Yello-Bole "brylons." I got my first one by accident and then actively sought out two more. I know alot of people do not like them. I think this is because they are thinking of them like a regular briar pipe. I think of mine more like a clay pipe, only MUCH sturdier.

No matter how bad a tobacco is, in never "ghosts" a Brylon. This makes them great for trying new, strong blends. Also, they are waterproof so I take them fishing and hiking if rain or storms are expected. Add to this that the things are practically ENDESTRUCTABLE. Frankly, if you break one, you were trying to break it. They are also easy to clean and, the three I have, smoke well. You just have to treat them like a clay because the bowl heats up. Hold it by the stem.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have modern day versions of all of those pipe brands. All are fine. I'm not a big fan of the stinger in the Kaywoodie. I have other stinger pipes that smoke better. The Yello-Boles I have are Brylon, which is a different beast. I would tend to go for the Dr. Grabow. I own three and have no issues with any of them.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Coreyr, I agree on the Brylon pipes. Other than being hot to the touch and a little heavier than briar, I find they work just fine. I have a bent and a straight and the straight is in my travel pouch.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Very interesting! Never let it be said that I have a closed mind... I'll break out the Brylons and give them a chance. Thanks, men!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Hey, you might hate them. They do get REALLY hot and are a bit heavy, but, like I said, mine smoke just fine and they are darn near indestructible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.