PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
When I started out I thought for sure that ribbon cut would be my favorite, probably because it's just so easy. I was actually a bit intimidated by flake, cake, coins, and plugs, but especially rope. Not sure why, maybe a beginner thing?
Anyway, I have come to really appreciate crumble cake (Krumble Kake?). My least favorite is Shag. I think it's annoying to load properly.
What do others like/dislike?

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Ready Rubbed, simply for the convenience of it, but I also enjoy Flakes or Plugs. If there is something I struggle with its cube cut. Just never worked for me to get it burning properly.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I'm with ashdigger. My favorite cut is flake. Easy to rub out, fold and stuff, or cube cut to my liking

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Most of my favourite blends are flakes but I do like plugs the most.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'd have to say ribbon cut, because I've turned into a bit of a lazy pipe smoker. Ribbon is just the easiest for me to get a good smoking experience from with the least exertion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not just happy talk, but I do like the various cuts for different reasons. Loose tobacco in various cuts is great for ease and limited time, pack it and light it. Flake, plug, and rope are great, thought they require a little prep; I think that raises anticipation and makes a good ritual looking forward to it, and it keeps better, longer, and smokes longer too. My least favorite, so far, is coin. It's just the cut that seems the least integrated. It looks appealing in the little disks, but you have to exercise some concentration to get if folded-and-stuffed or rubbed out in such a way that you get all the constituent tobaccos going at once. Most people don't even notice and love the cut, but I never feel I'm getting it right. I have several jars and tins of coin, so I'll learn. It just hasn't grabbed me the way other cuts do.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pretty much agnostic as to cuts. Like 'em all.
Shag, though, is dead easy to pack, light and smoke. Proper moisture control is key, plus judicious tamping.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Flake because of the options.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Flake for sure. I thought shag was just for ryo until I got some Esoterica and was surprised to see it and somewhat disappointed. Even though I read about it, it didn't really sink in till I saw it. Burns a little fast but is growing on me, Tilbury that is..

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Ribbon cut seams to last longer.

Had I 50 gram Peterson pipe tobacco ribbon cut and one flake tin. The ribbon one is still going. Seam you get more for your money!

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Flake is my preferred but all have a place and a purpose.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Bone in rib eye cooked rare, the bloodier the better.
Flakes, plugs and rope are what I smoke 99% of the time. When dealing with a soft flake such as Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, I will fold and stuff it. When smoking a denser, thicker flake such as my bulk Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia or St James flakes I will cube cut them. Plugs I slice into thicker strips and then cube cut them.
I do have one blend that is a course cut, and one that is a ribbon in my cellar. I smoke them only when people are around as they are both aromatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.