PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iasskicker

Lurker
Sep 9, 2014
Hiya so i recently stopped cigars and started off with Pipes. I must say pipe smoking is quite different compared to cigars but letting my opinions aside i wanted to know what is your definition of heavy pipe smoking because i don't know any pipe smoker here only cigeratte ppl

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hello, and welcome to the forums. I smoke about 7 bowls a day, which comes to about 16 - 21 grams, depending on the pipes I choose, of course. So, that's less than an ounce (28.4g) per day. Since each bowl typically lasts about 40 - 50 minutes, there's no time to smoke more without becoming a continuous puffer; and that would totally fatigue my palate.

iasskicker

Lurker
Sep 9, 2014
So tell me what would you consider heavy ? I just do one bowl to be very honest and i guess 50 to 40 minutes of contemplation is enough for me

The heaviest pipe I have is a massive Northern Briar church warden at almost 5oz, ha ha.

I have been smoking all day long at my workbench, but I have been trying to cut back a bit. I have no idea how many bowls, since some pipes can give me almost two hours smoking time, and some are just an hour or so. My smallest Piuma comes in at just exactly an hour. But, I have been going an hour between smokes to spread that out more through out the day. Maybe I am a heavy smoker. In switching from cigarettes to pipes was for health and costs, so it only makes sense that I now taper back. On my lightest days, I have to have at least four pipes.
I envy the one pipe a day or a few a week guys. I think that if I had quelled the addiction down that much, I'd just drop it and stop altogether. If there is no itch to scratch, why scratch? IMO. However, I do enjoy it, itch and all :puffy:

iasskicker

Lurker
Sep 9, 2014
I see i am getting to know the flow here. I mean this pipe smoking i am talking about here people around me are all into cigerattes i mean nobody even bothers about cigars and pipe is one far shot.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suppose I average 6 to 10 bowls a day along with a somewhat less than a pack of cigarettes. I might substitute a bowl or two with a cigar in the evening. I have no idea if this is "heavy" pipe use as I have no reference other than what I've read on this board. I am unacquainted with other serious pipe smokers.

Reactions: magnumsmoker

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'm a very light pipe smoker- twice a week, usually 1-3 bowls each time...When I go to a pipe show and smoke 6-8 bowls a day for a couple of days, it takes me a few days to recover....

All of the pipe guys in my family (have kept, or) keep a pipe clenched in their maw all day long. And, most of my neighbors that smoke keep one close at hand, probably smoking about as much as me. However, one of my friends only smokes when driving, and one just finishes the day with a pipe. But here, there are less places you can't smoke than other places, so there is not many restrictions preventing us from smoking at will.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I missed your contemplation remark. I'm addicted to nicotine and have something smoldering most all of the time. In the evening, when I'm reading, is the time I thoroughly enjoy and savor a pipe or a cigar. I'm not a particularly contemplative individual. I find it very difficult to just sit and think unless I'm working on a solution to a particular problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A bowl or two a day for me, with days off now and then when I'm busy or traveling. I'd call eight bowls heavy.

On a few occasions, when I have new tobacco arrive or have just opened a new tin, I might smoke four bowls.

If I have a cold, etc., I might take a week off. I'd call jiminks on "What You're Smoking" heavy.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I seem to remember in the 1964 Surgeon General's report a mention on moderate pipesmoking being 10 pipes a day. Of course, that might depend upon the size of the pipe. I find I have to really work to get four pipes smoked in a given day. This is much different than my experiences in the late 1980's. I'll bet I smoked 10 bowls on most days back then.
Mike S.

mromagna

Lurker
Aug 4, 2014
I have about 10 bowls a day and I think that's heavy. Although I do only smoke small or half bowels from morning to lunch and then full bowls starting at lunch to the final smoke before bed.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Picking up on Pipestud's "I personally think that anyone who smokes a pipe that's over 80 grams is a heavy pipe smoker." - I'd say it depends on one's height: for instance, if he/she is 5'8", and weighs over 250 lbs, that is heavy, whether a pipe is involved or not.
hp

les lol

Status
Not open for further replies.