What is your choice for some Rocky Mountain Pipe Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
New pipe smoker, about 8 months and I really enjoy it. Found that I am a Latakia lover, it is indeed delicious when I smell it and smoking it is even better. Again, I seek advise from the learned members of the forum on what tobacco you would choose for the occasion.
In less than 2 weeks I am going camping for 5 days in the Canadian Rockies, in the North end of Banff National Park. Surrounded by mountains, thousands of pine trees, I will be only about 100' from a glacier fed river, nestled in a tent and could have the odd black bear wander by my site. Have been there many times before and the wife and I really enjoy camping there. I chop lots of firewood as it gets cold in the mountains at night and I need the fire burning well so that I can watch the stars, enjoy the peace and quiet while I drink my rum or bourbon and contemplate the beauty before my eyes. For the first time, I will be smoking my pipe every morning while I drink some hot coffee waiting for the sun to peek over the mountain top, during the quiet of the afternoon, and again at night enjoying my favourite cocktail watching the stars.
I hope to have some EMP and NCP for my camping trip, but not sure if I will have it in time. As a back up I am thinking of maybe picking up some Frog Morton, not sure which one, from a kinda local tobacconist.
This got me to wonder what forum members think would be a good choice for a tobacco to smoke when I get up in the morning, enjoying a coffee while I sit by the fire, and a different one for late night by the fire as well in fresh, crisp mountain air. Looking forward to seeing all of your replies and trying out some great pipe tobacco.

chawz

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Alaska
Have a great trip, my last trip kayaking I took some Blue Mountain for my campfire smoke, a good latakia.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm not the guy to be recommending a Latakia blend, but I do think the situation will call for a corn cob pipe, and /or something rusticated or sandblasted. Also, I think that the tobacco you choose should be a flake or cube cut -- something that will burn more slowly in the open wind.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Good point, Cortez. A wind cap is cheap insurance against burn out. For $2 you can't go worng. H&H Magnum Opus is a very nice latakia blend from Russ O.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Sounds like an incredible trip man. You might not want to come back.
McClelland actually has a very latakia-heavy blend called WILDERNESS for this occasion. It is my favorite latakia blend. It was reviewed on this very site:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/mcclelland-wilderness-pipe-tobacco-review/

Jul 12, 2011
Second the MC's Blue Mountain along with some of their

Wilderness. H&H's Cerberus, C&D's Crooked Lane, Boswell's

Northwoods, Penzance, oh hell...bring em all ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.