PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I read a lot of people talking of hundreds of pounds of tobacco stashed away, but I wonder, what variety do you also smoke? Do some people mainly focus on 5 or 10, or do some people keep a hundred different kinds? I currently have about 68 different tobaccos and blends in stock, but of them, I might keep replenishing maybe 53 of them. Of course, I cannot speak of the blends I have never gotten around to trying.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I stock my favorites, Captain Black, Carter Hall, H&H Marquee (Whiteknight, Blackhouse, El Nino), Dunhill EMP & BB1938, Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman & Independence Day, Stanwell Jubilee, a few blends from Lane, Drew Estate and Cult, and a few bags of best of the rest

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My cellar's core is about a dozen blends. There's others in there, but there's about a dozen of them that I still periodically buy. I probably haven't tried half of what's out there, and probably never will.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have just over 150 lbs. 50 lbs is still in tins and they comprise 11 blends. The 100+ lbs in bulk is comprised of 41 blends. There isn't any overlap since I have a dozen jars for smoking rotation that isn't counted. So, I have 52 blends. The majority is Va and Vaper BUT I have a approximately 12 pounds of English and Orientals.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I cellar Classic Burley Kake, Anniversary Kake, Bald Headed Teacher, 5100, Luxury Bulls Eye Flake, Dunhill Flake, Frog Morton Cellar, English Oriental Supreme and Golden Extra. That is nine. Took me a couple of years to settle on these. I tend to lean towards the less is more way of thinking. Fifteen is a number that sounds right to me. That said, I am looking at adding several flakes. Just haven't settled on which ones. I try a variety of blends. Takes a while for one to make my cellar list.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Trying to get my hands on plugs and rope.I like the stuff that knocks your D**k in the dirt.Just afraid that soon many of them will be like trying to get a Cuban cigar in the US because of the shit regulations coming...

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have about 50lbs, most of it various Va's and VaPers. I have maybe 25 differs blends in 4oz mason jars. The rest are in there original tins. When I open a new tin it goes into a jar. The only bulk I buy is Mcc 5100. Other than that I have about 10lbs of a few different Glp Lat blends.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Cellaring to me refers to the Virginias and Va/Pers I'm storing my for the long haul as they tend to be the ones that age best. I have blends like Orlik Golden Sliced, Peterson Irish Oak, C&D Oak Alley, C&D Bayou Morning Flake and Mac Baren Virginia #1, but I have no intentions of opening them soon and will continue to add to them every once in a while. I've stockpiled some of my favorites such as London Mixture by Dunhill as my go to English and I have some tins of Peterson Old Dublin accompanied by Yenidje Highlander by McClelland and Frog Morton Across the Pond, some Presbyterian Mixture etc., but these English blends are intended for smoking and I will continue to stockpile just to make sure I have a good supply for smoking rather than for aging as such. Similarly, I have a decent stock of aromatics, but again the idea is to secure my supply not to age as such. That said, I once popped a tin of Navy Mixture by Mac Baren that had 5 to 7 years on it and it was amazing. My favorite aro is Mac Baren Cube Silver and I have a good supply. I also have Original Choice and Vanilla Cream Loose Cut also by Mac Baren. I have some Peterson Special Reserve 2015 but I'll probably open it soon, but I trust the brand and expect a good smoke. I also like to have some Burley on hand and I'm running low with just a couple of tins of Mac Baren Golden Extra but I'll soon add more Burley forward blends.
All in all, it is the Virginia forward blends I want to age about 5 to 10 years before opening. The rest are aging but my true intention is to secure supply.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I don't have a big cellar, compared to s lot of people. But I've managed to squirrel away a little over 20 pounds.

Most of it is Virginias and Vapers.

Several pounds of SG FVF, Escudo, SG St James Flake, SG Navy Flake, Christmas Cheer, H&H Virginia Spice, Anniversary Kake, and AJ's Vaper. The rest is tins and half pint jars of random stuff I want to try, or tobaccos I like but have not had a chance to stock up.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Over 150 lbs here, and around 45 blends. The winner for most poundage is Stokkebye's cube cut. I use it mainly as a default choice, and a simple smoke when I'm working. Sort of my all day smoke when I don't want to put much thought into it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Like dottiewarden, when I talk about my cellar, I refer to the various blends and flakes I am storing for the long term,and deliberately aging. That's expanding a bit, because I am getting some stock piles of some faves that are going away. I see no point in stockpiling a pre-2007 blend that isn't gonna improve with age. YMMV. :puffy:

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
The list here accounts for about 80% of my cellar. http://tobaccocellar.com/beezermcd
I'm horrible at keeping this updated, but it gives you a rough idea.
Most of the blends cellared are VAs (34%) followed by VAPERs (13%). The heavyweight champion in my cellar is HH Vintage Syrian coming in at just over 4 lbs.
My cellaring philosophy has been mostly wide and not deep, so I've got dozens of blends squirreled away. I love variety and though I have my favorites I really like mixing it and trying new things.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I only have about 20lbs cellared, abysmal, I know. Got into the bad habit of buying the next great thing, instead of concentrating on whet I like, lol. About 50% are Latakia blends, 10% aromatics, and the rest Virginias and VaPers. I would probably have more VaPers, but I smoke those more often. Like many, I am focusing at the moment on stocking blends that might me going away soon.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Everyone has different tastes . My stash is made up of several GLP blends , Three Noggins , Briar Fox , Sillems and a wide assortment of everything else . My biggest treasure is the last remaining stock of PS Swiss Delight in Mason jars . I don't have a list of total poundage . But lets just say it is more than enough to keep me puffing for a very long time .

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
A quater of my cellar is made up of 5 blends, these are favourites.
A quater is made up of 11 blends, variety is always good.
A quater is made up of US VA's and Vapers blends I've never smoked, I bought three tins of blends that appealled and I plan of sitting on them for at least 5 years before I open them. Being based in Europe I might never buy any more US blends so they'll be rare treats.
The last quater is made up of mainly single tins I'm waiting to try and odd stuff that I bought on impulse.
I'm aging mainly Va and Vaper blends as it's what I prefer to smoke. I have a couple of latakia blends but the latakia is used as a condiment so even if it fades the blends will hopefully still be enjoyable.
Being realistic I could do with adding around 20lbs more to the cellar and then closing it and only smoking what's in the cellar. I would hate to leave lb's of unsmoked tobacco around

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have approximately 50 blends around, many are single tins I haven't tried yet, some are tried but sit well back in the cabinet. I aim to cellar deeply maybe ten to twelve blends when I sort out what to add.
In deep cellar now are several pounds each of Smyrna and Bengal Slices, several GL Pease blends, a pound of Penzance, some Balkan Supreme, and none yet of VaPers over 8 ounces. Many miles to go before I sleep!

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I stock my favorites, Captain Black, Carter Hall, H&H Marquee (Whiteknight, Blackhouse, El Nino)
I have been giving a lot of thought to getting some tins of El Nino as well.
soon many of them will be like trying to get a Cuban cigar in the US
A Cuban cigar may soon be easier! Some interesting cellars out there, including a few blends I have never come across!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I have been giving a lot of thought to getting some tins of El Nino as well.
It really surprised me, I got a couple tins when P&C had the H&H Marquee BOGO sale, smoked half a tin in a week and ordered more

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I have a tiny "cellar" which consists of about 25 mason jars and a box full of tins. I've tried a little over 50 blends so far. I have not been pipe smoking for even a year yet, and I haven't bought more than half a pound of anything so far. My logic is that I should spend about a year shopping around and see what I like best, and then stock up. I generally smoke through about 2 ounces of tobacco before making a decision on it. That seems to give me enough of an impression to know whether I like it, and my opinion generally doesn't change after 3-5 bowls. If I haven't warmed to a blend after that long, I generally don't, though I still finish smoking through several ounces just to make sure.
I know tastes change over the years, but I'm just trying to build a good base for now.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have close to 300 pounds spread across 35 blends. I am betting my flakes become valuable if I don't smoke it all leaving a valuable stash for my kids

Status
Not open for further replies.