PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
For the past 3 nights watching the World Series, while The Star Spangled Banner plays and I watch The Flag waveing, the young Military Honor Guards, the crowds I get tears in my eyes knowing even with all our problems we live in the Greatest Country In The World,sorry an old fart rambling.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Cajun, I've determined you have a sever case of Patriotism and symptoms may include belief in our country regardless of flaws, and a respect for the proud men and women who helped make us great. Your sickness will hopefully never go away and will always be persistent.

Edit: The only reason I know what you suffer from is because I have been diagnosed as well.

~Ron

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Nothing is wrong with you. As a veteran you fought to defend the flag of our country and to protect the freedoms we enjoy. Thank you for your service.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nope, nothing wrong! I'm proud to live here as well, even with the screwed up leadership we have. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, thank you for your service Bradley!
Dan

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Old farts should ramble. It is how the young ones learn. Old farts should be loud, noisy, and pungent enough to clear a room of those who can't comprehend why some would choose to go in harm's way to protect those either unable or unwilling to make that sacrifice.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Thanks for that post Cajun. Even though I'm Canadian I care a lot about how the U.S. is doing (understatement), and without getting too political, I still have faith in the American people to persevere regardless of the situation.
Oh, and Go Sox!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
You're the heart of this place, Bradley. Thanks for continuing to prove it. We're all richer for your caring presence here pal.
-- Pat

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
A few years ago I went to visit my sister in MD. She showed me the sights and had a wonderful time with all the historic places. We visited Gettysburg and its hallowed ground. We went to Arlington and I could feel the difference as soon as we walked in the gate. It was absolutely quiet. The kind of quiet you don't hear except in places like the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. That place grabs your emotions and your heart. It makes you appreciate those that made the ultimate sacrifice for us. The most emotional for me was going to Fort McHenry. We went into a theater to watch a presentation by a Park Ranger about Francis Scott Key and the battle that inspired him to write the Star Spangled Banner. As the presentation ended the Star Spangled Banner was played. We all stood up and put our hands on our hearts as the huge curtains parted and there she was. The biggest flag I had ever seen in my life. Waving over the fort. The wind was just perfect for them to put out the biggest flag that they had. I blubbered, with tears streaming down my face. I've never been more proud to be an American in my life. There was not a dry eye in the house. I'm tearing up as I write this of that memory. So Brad now there's not a damn thing wrong with you. Thank you brother.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Same here my friend. I'll be the first to grumble about current political and economical conditions but I am also a veteran and still swell with pride and tears as the Star Spangled Banner plays. Also, Lee Greenwood's song "God Bless the USA" chokes me up every time. Keep the faith.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Never thought of us as superior, just very blessed. Why couldn't you either just not commented or join in with us talking about how much we love this country. I don't think you added anything to the conversation with your remarks.

Jan 8, 2013
Nothing wrong with you at all Bradley. It's the people who don't believe in this country, in our fighting spirit, to keep moving on when the tough gets tougher, the ones who think we owe something to the rest of the world, the ones who try to change us to suit their own wishes, those who think we should be more like Europe, that think the world would be better off if we didn't step in and try to change things for the better (and the list goes on) that something is wrong with. I have nothing but respect for people like you, Bradley. Especially for those who have risked life and limb and those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for this country.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
This is the greatest country in the world.We still have a great deal of work to do though to make it the way it should really be.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
For many years it was no illusion. No other country could have turned from a peace time economy to war as fast as America did for WWII with the production totals we attained. Did we get it wrong a time or two? Certainly. Still we have taken democracy to unbelievable heights. The so called democratic Greeks were far from one man, one vote. We tossed out slavery even as many other countries practiced (some still do) it. Everyone may vote, in some places even the dead are still casting votes, sometimes two or three times in the same election.
And, while our muscle cars are really only decent in a straight line, we are striving to improve them.
Realistically we must have the warrior class as the vast majority of people are either unwilling or unable to defend themselves from predators. All people are either predators or prey, some can be both though usually not at the same time. Case in point, Hitler was a predator, Poland was prey, Mussolini was both Hitler's prey and at the same time Ethiopia's predator.
Politicians are predators, voters the prey. Of course there are degrees of both classes. Make no mistake, retailers are predators, customers their prey. Cops prey on criminals as the criminal preys on his victims.
It is not a safe place this world we live in. Human nature being what it is it never will be. So God bless the warriors and let's have a drink to those that are no longer with us.
When I was a cop I had a philosophy which I still pretty much adhere to: Always expect the worst of people that you are never disappointed and sometimes, rarely though, very pleasantly surprised.
I might observe that this forum seems to be peopled mostly by pleasant surprises. This pleases me greatly and helps to restore my faith in mankind. And for that I thank each and everyone of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.