Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
The latest Pipes and Cigars Catalog arrived and the back cover claims Skandinavik, Sail and Troost have all been discontinued. What's up with that? First my beloved Amphora goes away and now these. Anyone have information on why this is happening? Hopefully somebody will come up with a decent match blend. I tried the Amphora match and it was so far off the mark that I couldn't believe someone actually called it a match. :x Troost and Skandinavik were my last life lines to this style of Cavendish. Grrrr!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I'm sorry to hear that your vans are being discontinued, but at least you have the opportunity to stock up, many of my favs were already gone before I found them!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
loborx:
I, too, saw that announcement in the new Pipes and Cigars catalog, and was taken by surprise by it. Sail Green and Yellow were both favorites of mine. Stock up, now, before these Dutch delights become dim memories.
As for Amphora, it was announced here in the Forums late last year that it will be returning (via Mac Baren, if memory serves) to the United States this year, so there is a silver lining to this grim cloud.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
I didnt know about the Amphora return. That is good news! In the mean time, off to p&c to see what I can scrounge from what's left.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
What about Borkum Riff and Capt Black? Aren't those cavendishes? I don't recall, it's been 40 years since I smoked any of that drugstore stuff (and only when I was out of town and ran out of the good stuff).

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Amphora is still available in Europe and Canada, so it wasn't discontinued.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Amphora still very much alive & kicking here in Europe ( well spain anyway ). Wouldn't lose too much sleep over sail going to sea.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
What about Borkum Riff and Capt Black?
Those are nothing like Sail and Troost, Dutch cavendishes that have a very light hand on the toppings.
I smoked a bunch of Sail and Troost when I was younger. I revisited both in the past few years. Not bad, but I'm not going to rush off to buy some. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.