PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I believe this is the correct forum to ask this question. I bought a briar pipe from a vendor at a swap meet a month ago and there is a stamp on it that reads "19-I.A.P.S.C.-55 Schenectady New York" I posted a picture of it. Why is this on it? It seems to be unsmoked and on the other side it reads "Imported Briar "Pipes by Paul" ". Asking question because I am curious of the stamp and why it is there. I understand that the I.A.P.S.C stands for International Association of Pipe Smokers Club.

Thanks

Sorry about the dirty hand, just got home from work!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Possibly a promotional or contest award at a pipe smoke off in 1955
A.P.S.C.", the precursor of the present CIPC

http://www.pipeclub-of-cologne.de/vdp-history.html

http://cipc.pipeclubs.com/
Two tobacco stores in Schenectady

Schenectady

Orion Boutique

169 Jay Street

Schenectady, NY 12305

(518) 346-4902

Street Corner News

93 West Cambell Road

Schenectady, NY 12306

(518) 346-2796

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
ddavid:
IAPSC is the acronym for the International Association of Pipe Smokers Clubs, an organization which was founded in October of 1949. It was incorporated in Schenectady, New York on July 15, 1952. Here is a link (http://www.iapsc.net/html/history.html) to their Website. An interesting group that, and an interesting piece of history which you are holding in your hand. You might contact them to see what they could tell you about it.
Good Luck, and Good Smoking!
HunterTRW

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
I might email or call, that is a good idea. I will post if I get an answer. Thanks!

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
Just sent 3 board member of IAPSC an email, hopefully they know what this is. I really want to know and solve this mystery.

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
I go an email today from a board member named Daniel who said he believes it is a first place pipe for the 1955 pipe smoking contest, he also said it is made by Paul T Spaniola, a founder of the club.
This is the actual email: "Daniel, in 1955 the I.A.P.S.C. Held their Annual World Pipe Smoking Contest. Which was held at Van Curier Hotel in Schenectady New York. It was the 7th Annual The winner was Robert Rudl whose Time was 67 Min. and 45 sec. I think the pipe was a Prize for first Place. Paul T Spaniola owner of Paul's Pipe Shop and Pipe Hospital of Flint Mich. made the Pipe and put the info on the Pipe. Paul T Spaniola Died At 100 and 8 month old in Aug. of 2013. He was one of founder Of The I. A. P. S. C.

If there is anything else you need to know Please Let me Know."

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Damn cool piece of history and it is awesome that a reputable source could assess your pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder why the winner never smoked the trophy pipe. There's a story there. The white lettering is

a little crass, but it is quite an artifact of the organization.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
Maybe Mr. Rudl treasured the pipe so much he couldn't bring himself to smoke it. I find it odd that this found it's way to a swapmeet. My dad, who doesn't smoke a pipe, still has one his deceased father's pipes, kind of an heirloom. I'm glad it found it's way to a forum member.

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
That is what I find odd as well I don't know why anyone would get rid of this, it would be as if you sold a trophy you won

. I wonder if I could contact Mr. Rudl or one of his kids, assuming he has any. I am going to email the man who sent me the information again and ask him this question, because I would think he would have been part of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.