PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have seen this shape before, and I once knew its name. For the life of me I cannot remember what it is called.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How does it work? It looks like it's drilled wrong with the airway in the middle of the bowl, with a bilge valve on the bottom. Some guys here know all about it.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Hmmm, I do not know about "Bilbo", but your guess is as good as mine.
I know nothing about the engineering. I am trying to help an eBay seller who was good to me learn about this unmarked pipe. The design is intriguing, though.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
As soon as I saw that thing on the bottom I thought 'carburetor!'
carburetor.jpg

Common on "pieces", considerably less so on tobacco pipes. In fact I've never heard of one.
I'm always shocked by old pipe ads, and the marketing effort that was expended to 'sell' customers a "cool, dry smoke". This could be something like that.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Except that, in that Kaywoodie, the point of the "carburetor" is apparently to cool your smoke. In the "pieces" Elbert mentions, one is supposed to fill the thing with smoke, uncover the carburetor, inhale deeply, and have the huge influx of air shove it all into one's lungs in one big hit-- as far as I understand, always resulting in a horrible, hacking cough lasting for several minutes.
As for Buroak's pipe, my guess is that it's one of those designs where, for the purposes of both cooking and filtering, there's a hollow chamber inside the body, surrounding the bowl (or else the draft hole would enter the bowl about halfway up the side), and that plug is for de-gunking said chamber, where tar and juices would collect. I have no idea what the shape is actually called, but I'd agree on "Bilbo."

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
That's a really a bad idea! I'd end up with a pipe or a pet that responds to Pookie Von Trousersnake or some such nonsense and end up resenting it its entire life.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Let me guess... Ummm... Stupid Ass Rhodent I Can't Believe I Wasted My Money On A Fancy Rat? Or just Stupid Ass, for short?

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
That's probably a better guess, jonasclark. To be honest I never knew what the purpose of the carb was (as I do not partake). In any case the kaywoodie strikes me as rather gimmicky!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Well, the responses have been interesting. The pipe looks like a "Doctor" shape, but my understanding is that design involved a threaded, removable bowl.
In any case the kaywoodie strikes me as rather gimmicky!
And wonderfully so.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
blendtobac, Thanks for that suggestion. I had forgotten about the Dawes/Lyon pipe names. The Dawes, Lyon, Underslung (Wally Frank) and Campaign (WDC)are all in the right neighborhood, except for this pipe's lack of a removable inner bowl. Still, having some shape names to reference will be much appreciated by the seller.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
tuold, I figured all the Boers smoked Oom Pauls. This just keeps getting more interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.