PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I recently got this Hilson estate pipe. In my research, I've seen it called a bell and also a spool.
Any "official" designation?
hilson1-600x340.jpg

Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks like one of their Maestro line. I've seen it listed as a tulip and a calabash.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd call it a bell, but it seems negotiable. A spool should perhaps have a bulge at the top and bottom of the bowl, though that's picky. A tulip often tapers at the top. A Calabash usually has a somewhat domed brim. But these shapes are highly interpretive, and carvers usually call them their own way which can be arbitrary. So I won't argue with any of the above, although freehand seems a copout maybe.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Tulip or Bell seems most appropriate to this novice. I think, based on everyone's input, I shall call it the Cow Bell! :P
Harris, the maiden voyage last night with some old D&R Picayune yielded a good smoke. Thinnish walls require some focus on cadence.
Like my other Hilson, the briar seems very dense, hard and light for its size. The thin, bent bit with the light weight makes clenching for long periods a non-issue. Most pleasant.
A wee bit of a sweet ghost to exorcise. It was reamed down to the standard "dime's thickness" before I got it. I will likely take it the rest of the way down.
There's a bump or ridge in the bottom of the airway just before entering the chamber that's hanging up a free cleaner pass.
If I put the tiniest bend on the end of the cleaner, facing downward through the stem, then rotating 180 once in the stummel, I can make the full journey. Trying to figure out how to get in there and smooth it more.
More testing required but first impression is good.
jay-roger.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I like bell or freehand bent billiard. The Danes made a tulip pipe. I will have to poke around to see if I can find mine. Posting pics on the fly is such a PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.