What is tobacco this? Does anyone know what this is?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
While we were out of town over the holidays, my lady and I visited our fair share of antique stores. The #1 thing I was looking for was a pipe rack.

After the 33rd store... as we were heading home, we stopped in ONE more antique shop. They had 5 pipe racks! I grabbed the one pictured. It holds 8 pipes and has some pheasants on it etc.
The INTERESTING part is that there was an unopened, sealed packed of tobacco. I believe it is cigarette tobacco.

It's from the LIGGETT and MEYERS company. L&M Cigarettes, Velvet Pipe Tobacco etc... They were once the 4th largest tobacco company in the USA.
Have I found anything cool here?
Does anyone collect this stuff?
I doubt it's smokable ;-)
The rolling paper and most of the orginal packaging is in tact.
I'll post pics.
Thank you, Geoff
The Rack:

The Tobacco:

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
The Antique shop also had these commercial receipts for large tobacco leaf purchases from the 1930's.

I believe that they grew tobacco in lower Delaware (where I was) and these independent tobacco farmers would sell to big companies etc...
I thought it was cool... and worth mentioning.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Never seen anything like it, strange being open to air if for tobacco. I can easily imagine a pile of tobacco in it with a hunting party gathered round. Is that a shadow on the left side of the rack in a semi circle or is it part of the wood? I would venture the tobacco is more valuable unopened, unless you are the adventurous type and would smoke it. THAT would be valuable in my eyes, but perhaps not pleasant. It may be missing a lid. Look for scratches around the top edge of the glass and you may see fine marks or clouding of glass from repeated rubbing. It could have had a wood top. It does not look well used really. The glass is beautiful and I would put it close to 40's or 50's latest, possibly decade or two earlier. Love the pheasants!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd leave that little tobacco bag exactly as is. The tobacco is likely for rolling, probably Virginia. The packaging is what's special, as you see.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Since posting, I found "similar" if not the same on esty/ebay... possibly dated around 1910... and likely not worth much money. I did see what seemed to be the same thing in better condition with a BIN of ten bucks ;-) in any case, pretty cool.
Yeah, a pheasant punch bowl... I had o have it...

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Funny, I received a pipe rack with some nice extras from my MIL for xmas. There was a tin of Velvet in there still full. It's definitely dry but not "turn to powder" dry. Still has a nice tobacco smell. I'm considering rehydrating a small amount for experimental purposes.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Series 115 is the key to its age - 1945
PAlbrt2.jpg

PAlbrt1.jpg

See This Thread for a can being opened.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I have a RJR Pounch.

2psi0qt.jpg

Series #'s were started a certain year, I'm trying to find that year. Before that the actual year appeared I think.

Never opened mine since I'm sure a cloth pouch would not smoke well even hydrated. Now these things do look really cool on the display shelf those. Great find lasttango!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice score ! I have a bag of Bull Durham with the papers that was gifted to me. I remember buying the Bull Durham bags back in the 1960's when my buddies and I couldn't afford Marlboro's. Never heard of the "Tip" brand.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I looked this info up before when trying to date the PA and the RJR pouch. Still cant find the easy to understand site I found before but this one helps pretty well.
Looks like the first "Series 102" style tax stamps began in 1932. Series 103=1933, Series 104=1934 etc...

Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.