PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Hey guys! So I had an idea, I want to buy a pipe for when im traveling. But im not just looking for your average pipe, I want to talk about, and figure out, what would be the IDEAL travel pipe. I know there is rarely a 'best' but just for the fun of it, I want to seek out and get some opinions on it. I have other pipes that I already have as my regular indoor pipe, but those wont cut it for this.
Here's the criteria: what would let me drive and smoke, walk and smoke, walk and tamp, light, in different weather conditions, with or without hands..
what comes to mind for me is a pipe with a lid: something that I can stick the tobacco in, close the lid, and head out the door. I thought it would be a neat idea. However there is only one pipe ive seen with this and its the very expensive peterson silver lid pipes that are sold out.

It would have to be very light, and also something compact so it could fit in coat pocket easily and be transported with ease.

Also the shape should be something that makes it easy to clinch and not use hands for long periods of time, ex: driving, working with your hands, etc

I also imagined something that could maybe even hold your tools for you. I saw in the movie Hateful 8, samuel l jackson smoked a pipe that had a tamp holder on it. That sounds pretty nifty, but far from necessary.

Also, ive heard of wind caps but never used one. maybe one of those could work instead of a dedicated lid, and would help with wind.
anyway, just throwing out some ideas. What would you say would fit this criteria?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I drive and smoke almost every morning and I don't have any specific pipe for this occasion. All of my pipes are straight and they all do fine job. If you are looking for something practical go for a nosewarmer. If you are not sure about nosewarmers, just purchase an MM Morgan nosewarmer and try it, you'll like it.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
|Here's the criteria: what would let me drive and smoke, walk and smoke, walk and tamp, light, in different weather conditions, with or without hands..|
Wait, no disrespect to anyone, but ... without hands?
Hmm. :?:
Need to ponder that, I do

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I travel a lot for work and pleasure. The ultimate pipe is the one you have with you....

I normally travel with my nording, and a kirsten with two bowls (a briar and meerschaum), my tamp, cleaners and a windcap. My Nording signature goes everywhere with me, it's my adventure pipe and has quite story. You'll want to find a pipe that is comfortable for you in the activity and then find a wind cap that fits. I only use the windcap in pretty extreme weather or high winds. I've been in a bind before without one thought on hikes and have used everything from rocks to seashells to pieces of wood to make caps, or just my thumb.

With a kirsten you could wrap multiple prepacked bowls in plastic wrap and just screw on a new bowl when you're ready, I've done this a few times (also works for falcons, vikings, etc I'm just biased). This would allow multiple bowls, prepacked, comfortable, versatile, and balanced, have a windcap ready and you're set!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Rusticated or sandblast army mount. Finish won't mar if it gets banged around a bit, can be taken apart hot, and harder to break stem.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
When I travel, which isn't that often, I take about 3 Falcon bowls, a stem and 2 wind caps. One of the wind caps I've coated with silicone which I use as a bowl snuffer. All of it fits in my pocket.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I travel a lot, car and plane. For me, a small, acrylic stemmed pipe is the most useful. I can clench without damaging the stem (most of my pipes are vulcanite stems). A smaller pipe allows for a briefer smoke, which is typical for me when I'm on the road. A single, nylon pipe pouch fits in my front pocket and allows for a pipe, tamper, matches or lighter and an ounce or so of tobacco.
we're heading back to New Orleans next week for five days. I'll pack five pipes in an "Xhale" glass pipe hard shell case in pipe bags. The carry pouch has everything else. I'll bring along one tin of tobacco to fill my pouch. The hard shell cases are on Ebay for around $15 shipped and protect my pipes nicely on a plane, etc.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Perhaps a cob with a cork in it? The simplest methods work best. Al's setup sounds pretty awesome too.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've shortened three Falcon Pipes and they have become my go to travel pipes. I travel a lot. With just one Falcon and a couple of bowls you are good to go, as is mentioned above.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I keep two full bent billiards in my car, but will smoke anything I walk out to the car with. For plane trips, I pack 6-8 pipes and cleaners.
A pipe with a lid is a p.i.a. for those times you don't need wind protection, which is most of the time. I can clench most of my pipes if I need two hands for something.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
The ideal pipe, agreeing with tschiraldi, would be an army mount so it can be taken apart hot and carried separately. You definitely want the wind cap rather than the expensive Peterson, as it can fit any pipe and will do exactly what you were hoping for. Rustication is a good idea for the abuse. The pipe tool should always be in your pocket, maybe look at the Brigham one that closes up in a cylindrical case covering all of the ash and sharp bits. Probably a smaller pipe, and I'd go straight rather than bent. I find they clench better personally. But the shape and bend is more personal preference.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cobs, of course, but I also like a short compact pipe, straight or bent, with relative thick shank and stem. This packs in a pocket or small travel case (I like an inconspicuous inexpensive dap kit unlikely to be tempting to thieving), and is sturdy and usually about right in travel situations where your smoking time is limited. In fact, most pipes travel pretty well, and I wouldn't deny myself a longer, thinner, or more expensive pipe as a calculated risk, but ideally, a cob or nose warmer.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Long road trip? A dash full of loaded pipes. I love my Falcon for the reasons stated above. Cobs with a wind cap work well. I have a couple of Peterson pipes with attached caps.
Just about any pipe which sits well in your jaw. You can buy all the caps you want. They are inexpensive.
My meers? They stay in the house as a rule.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Stubby nose-warmer or full bent if you're driving a vehicle with airbags.
I never even considered that! One of my favorite pipes for driving is an old BBB Canadian, long and light. Guess I should leave that one home next time.
He undertook to overtake

The road was on a bend

'Twas not the crash that got him

But the briar in his brain stem

Burma-Shave

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The ideal travel pipe is a Barling TP. The TP (travel pipe) was made to separate into three sections, bowl, shank, and stem. Separated, it could be slipped into a watch or vest pocket, or any small space. When needed, the shank threaded into the bowl by means of metal fitments, and the stem was the traditional mortise and tenon configuration. Nifty little buggers. Nice open draw.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
great comments here, thanks. Alot of good options, i think a short nosewarmer pipe sounds good, the army mount sounds like what im looking for. i can see a cob or falcon being good too for different situations, and ill have to look into getting a wind cap rather then a pipe with a dedicated lid. alot of good stuff here thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.