Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

What is the sweetest smoking pipe you own ?

(57 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by backwoodsjack
  • Latest reply from pipedreamin
  1. backwoodsjack

backwoodsjack

Login to Send PM

It's probably been asked before, but what the heck. What is the sweetest smoking pipe you have. Pipe design, construction and break in is an interesting topic to me and it got me to thinking. What is the sweetest smoking pipe I have? I should clarify, by "sweetest" I am referring to the most enjoyable, problem free, easy smoking and reliable old dog in the yard.

For me it is a 1960-70? Bennington London made straight blasted Dublin. I bought it off ebay for 15 bucks plus shipping.

It was nearly unsmoked, virtually cake free (light carbon), drilling is perfectly centered and the draft hole is dead bottom of the bowl. The airway is not huge put an ample draw. about group 4 size, thick walled. It likes any English with Latakia.

I would like to know the thoughts of everyone who would care to post a reply. I don't have the pipe with me to post an image right now, but if you could post yours, it would be cool. Also if you pipe likes a certain weed over others please let me know.

Thanks

Joe

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. backwoodsjack

backwoodsjack

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah, and it's has a wide-ish bit, and vulcanite stem. About 5- 3/4 inches long.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My absolute sweetest and easiest pipes are my old meerschaum cuttys. My sweetest briar is a three year old Ryan Alden Short Lovat he made for me. It just delivers every time.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't own a pipe which doesn't meet your definition of "sweet" smoking. I think it's a shame to have pipes which do not meet that standard. I only have a couple dozen or so, all are bent to some degree and all provide a great experience. Keep in mind, my standards are not as high as others, I simply know what I like.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. backwoodsjack

backwoodsjack

Login to Send PM

Warren,
    While I agree that the goal is to own a stable of sweet pipes. I am still working towards that goal.
    It seems that it can only be acquired through trial and error. Also, the more time you have dedicated to
    the goal the better the outcome.

I hope to some day a a few more that are what I consider exceptional smokers. I do have a few other that I like,
    just not as much.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Ferndown bent bulldog and a Northern Briars Poker.

Killing me won't bring back your apples.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

One of the best is a Dunhill bruyere shape 53 group 3 bent..........and one of the worst a Dunhill Chestnut shape 3105 dublin.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with Warren on this, if the pipe doesn't work with how I smoke and I can't do anything to rectify that it's gone. Why hold on to them otherwise if not for sentimental reasons?

There are lots of pipes here but one Briar in particular fits me a hair better than the rest. This MdP can be pushed like a cob for days and shines with anything but Cavendish, not being a huge fan of Cavendish that's fine. Pictured with Bold Kentucky.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By the time I pluck a pipe from the rack of too many pipes and select the particular blend that answers my call and pack the pipe, that pipe is the sweetest smoking pipe in the house. It may or may not live up to the longing, but most pipes do, sooner or later, Kaywoodie Ruff Tone to Fernwood smooth silver band.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too am with Warren on this. I have relatively few Briars..15, but each and everyone smokes sweetly.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To clarify my statement. I interpreted the OP as your ONE sweetest pipe.

I agree with the rest, if it doesn't smoke great, its gone, and I have definitely moved my pipe collection around.

I have a rack on my desk that holds 24 pipes and a rack as you walk into my office that holds 36. The pipes I smoke all the time reside either in a drawer in their cases or in the rack on my desk. the rack by the door is for pipes I don't smoke as often and the top rack is for pipes that don't get smoked in about 3 weeks. the top rack is technically the "eBay" rack, because that's where pipes are headed that I don't smoke.

Since I smoke between 5 and 8 bowls a day, its an easy way to keep my pipes right about 60 working pipes. I like that number. I only have two pipes I don't smoke. They were my grandfather's. I have only smoked each once. Good enough.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After buying seriously expensive pipes along with less expensive ones, I've learned that all good pipes are the same... just a bowl with hole and a mouthpiece. It ain't rocket science. It's basic engineering if even that. Best smoking pipe is all in your head.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nate, since I'm a head case..... I agree.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As others have already said, if a pipe doesn't smoke well, I get rid of it. I do have a couple of pipes though, that due to time and memories have more significance to me and therefore seem to smoke better. These great briars shall remain anonymous, lest they hear me bragging on them and turn sour!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have learned this over 55 years of smoking: A pipe must first fit my eye, then my fist. Now I inspect fit and finish. If a pipe passes that inspection I may purchases it. A pipe which is not pleasing to my eye and fist, is not properly constructed or fitted and finished will never get to my house. The final test is a breaking in period.

For me the quiet bowls in the evening, while reading or culling photos, must be with a pipe I first enjoy aesthetically and then smokes very well. I do not base a pipe purchase on anything other than the above, brand is not particularly important, neither is price. If I do not like the look of a pipe, as it sits on display, I'll not ask to inspect.

I'm not discerning enough to pick only one pipe from my choices as "the one." I guess which ever I select for the evening bowls is "the one." I do not sit and simply smoke a bowl for the pure joy of it, can't do it, genetically impossible for me. A bowl of tobacco in a pipe I admire simply makes whatever else I am doing, chainsawing, tractor, photography, fishing, etc, a bit more enjoyable, more complete as it were.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup. All my pipes are about the same in terms of sweet smoking, because I get shed of any that don't.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. backwoodsjack

backwoodsjack

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy contemplating on others views about something so subjective. I didn't really mean that most of my pipes smoke like dogshit and one doesn't. But I realize now I could have worded it; do you have a favorite pipe?

This might have yielded a slight different group of answers, but who cares?

So to better understand, let me propose this.

What pipe did you hope would be a great smoker (based on it's appearance, fit, grain etc.) that ended up going to the dogs and why?

Joe

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My absolute sweetest and easiest pipes are my old meerschaum cuttys.
    Hands down #1! I have to say after that it's my MM Cobs. My sincerest thanks to my dear friend Simon for introducing me to the joys of those old little meerschaums...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Weezell, Yes, Simon has definitely aided in my Meerschaum obsession too!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine is a simple Medico Varsity Volcano style that I bought new for $25.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Weezell, Yes, Simon has definitely aided in my Meerschaum obsession too!!
    One mans obsession is another mans sickness!(LOL)

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smokes everything I put in it equally well.

What may smoke great for one person may not for another. Packing, puffing technique, environment, etc all play a role in how a pipe will smoke for you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a recent addition to my pipes... an estate pipe by way of spc. A Design Berlin blasted Rhodesian.

There just is something bizarrely magical about it. It purt near smokes itself, is light as a feather. Broader, flatter bit than most... somehow PERFECT for my dentition. Sits ever so happily in the hand, sits by itself on the table! I think it was all of $34... some of the best money I ever spent in this hobby. Most of my favorite smokers are of Design Berlin/PfeiffenStudio Hartmann's more economical lines. Go figya.

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm I don't think I have any pipes that smoke a lot better than the others. The one's that turn out to be duds I get rid of.

I had an old Peterson that was my favorite for many years but I think that's now been replaced by my Mimmo Provenzano canadian and the canadian Zack made for me.

Now what if the question was "what is the pipe you reach for most often?" Do you have a pipe that you smoke more than others? Is that because of the tobacco that you like to smoke in it or is it because of the pipe? Is the sweestest pipe in your collection the one you smoke most?

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. simong

simong

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The 'sweetest' pipe I own is a cadagon era London made comoys sunrise. I've had it for 5 or 6 years from new, sweet & crisp now as it was from the first smoke.
    I liked it so much, I bought another sunrise, alas nowhere near as sweet. Just a lucky block of briar for me with the first one.

Here it is:

photo image_zps6av32bzz.jpeg

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to be honest---- I like pipes of all kinds, but my sweetest smoking pipes are my meers and a cob I just tried is giving them a good run for their money! That said, the majority of my pipes are still briar and I love 'em all.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. backwoodsjack

backwoodsjack

Login to Send PM

Wow, there is a fair bit of praise for the meers.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe I reach for most is this Barling Valkyrie that I got in the estate section of smokingpipes .com a year or so ago. It's a simple rusticated billiard with a saddle stem. It was broken in so nicely when I received it. I only use it for English/Lat blends. It's got the perfect weight and balance. Every smoke I have in it seems to be stellar. It is one of the least expensive pipes that I have.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  29. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bent Brandy Jesse Jones made for me. It should be, since I designed it to my specs!

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several that I smoke very often. My sweetest pipe is probably my Rinaldo Bulldog - on the Right

DSC02831 by Shaun Dollins, on Flickr

Southerners don't talk slow because they're dumb, we do it because there's really no rush.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have six briars that I smoke, and since Ive only been smoking a little over a year, I feel that they are all in varying degrees of being broken in. I have a Peterson tankard that smokes VA's extremely sweet, and being my first pipe it has had the most smokes out of all of them. My Savinelli 320 has smoked like a champ from bowl one, and just gets better every time I use it. I love my cobs as well, and they have never let me down.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My sweetest pipe is probably my Rinaldo Bulldog - on the Right

That is a BE-U-TI-FUL pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. whitesands77

whitesands77

Login to Send PM

Um, Randy Wiley for me. best one i own.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

This little guy.

These guys.

Nevermind, I would end up posting the whole collection. If they don't live up to my standards, they go in the trash.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  35. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine is a Swiss made Bernina bent billiard that was given to me by a pal who had retired from smoking.

It is a most unique pipe in that it has two draught holes, each with an aluminium sleeve (how on earth they got them in there is anyone's guess) and is antler/horn stemmed.

Whether it's due to the unusual mechanics of the pipe I can't say but this pipe makes every blend smoked in it really sing. I get flavours from this pipe that my other pipes seem unable to match. If I were to have only one pipe on my desert island then it would be my Bernina!

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  36. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1951 Dunhill 120 shell. Just smokes clean and dry no matter what I stuff into it.

Doc

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a BE-U-TI-FUL pipe

Thank you. This is a pipe that might become an heirloom item as it's not only my first real quality briar, but also a birthday present from my late wife. My kids are still young, so don't know if any of them will be interested in pipes when they get older.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No pipe among ca. 70-80 smokes sweeter than any other, though a few of them required many bowls before they smoked "right". And my favorite changes with time of year, length of smoke I desire at the time, and pure whim. Most often it's a mid sized Parker basket pipe I bought in London a year ago, as it's usually just the right size, weight and had great straight grain. That I squeezed it out of a basked for a song makes it that much more special.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  39. lonefrog615

lonefrog615

Login to Send PM

I have a Radice straight pot with a bulldog shank that is just...well it is just the best. When it is available to smoke (i.e. not resting) it is an easy choice. Nice open draw, straight grained, simply a joy to sit and smoke. I also have a Sav 320KS (author) that is a very close second.
    As far as "culling" duds...I've never done it. Perhaps I should. I'm sure one else's style and technique could make them come to life.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few pipes right now that will be going to a 'pipe spa' to get refashioned because something about them annoys me; the draw is too tight or passing a pipe cleaner is rough or out-of-center, etc. But I agree with what many have said about only keeping 'sweet' pipes (by the description of the thread OP). All the pipes I have can be 'sweet' depending on the situation, with the notable exception of the 3 or 4 that have a date at the Reborn pipe spa next month. I like a variety of shapes of pipes, though I'd say my eye is drawn strongly toward dublins and pots - so perhaps one of those would be closest to my heart.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 2 years ago #
  41. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An easy choice for once. My Vampire's Wand by Stephen Downey an extremely close second; but the top pick would be Nielson's Brown Sparrow. I remember having cold sweats when I purchased it from SP; I never bought a pipe of that pipe range--but I've never regreted it. Take a look at the attached to see what I mean.http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/8596/002-192-0282_3.jpghttp://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/8596/002-192-0282_4.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  42. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would pit this pipe against any Dunhill or anyone else you'd care to name. It delivers a smoke that never fails, the much coveted "perfect smoke." And the aesthetics of the pipe, suggesting a small bird, is amazing. This is literally a pipe you'd have to hold in your hands to really appreciate in terms of the pipe's architecture, and what can you say about a perfect smoker?

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

Surprisingly a 1957 Dunhill shell, about group 4 size, half bent. Surprisingly because I had Dunhills before and they did not smoke as good as my Italian pipes. However this pipe I bought due to it being my birth year and it is an amazingly good smoker of anything and has pushed my Ardors, Viprati and Cavicchi down the list!

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Growley Squat Rhodesian. Finest flake smoker I have. Never fails to give me a perfect smoke.

Jason
    Posted 2 years ago #
  45. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find I reach more often for a pipe that is easiest to maintain.
    I do find that my first MM Legend seems to taste better and better.
    It might be all in my mind, but I've got a couple old Grabows that seem "sweet" and feel great both in hand and clenched.
    I'm still getting to know them all, and might not exercise my briars enough because of the ease and economy of my cobs.
    Lately I've discovered that a couple of military mount style stems I have will interchange with the plastic ones some of my cobs had originally. I don't always substitute, but it's a nice change and they're much more durable.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. jamespworth

NorwichBriarBro

Login to Send PM

This is my sweetest pipe and the one I smoke most ironically It's the only no name pipe I use I think it is French and has a bone stem but haven't managed to find one I enjoy smoking more so far.

photo WP_20170128_001.jpg">

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. alexnorth

alexnorth

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Peterson 80s that I unfortunately got rid of some time ago. Thankfully it's in the possession of a dear friend so I'm happy with that. Also I have a couple of briars I haven't smoked yet but I have it on good authority they are great puffers!

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any of my Boswell pipes.

John
    Posted 2 years ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not necessarily my favorite pipe but in the top 3. A Big Ben Barbados that Troy (Misterlowercase) sold to me a year ago. Great little pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a bunch of pipes that smoke great. But the one that never fails is my first Rad Davis:

It was funny, I actually contacted the seller just to make sure it was a real Rad, because of the bowl there. Sure 'nuff, next thing I know I am talking with Rad himself who confirmed that it was an early piece. That thread is around here somewhere. That whole thing happened on PMF.

Here are the catalog shots:

I have since gone on to deal with that seller for about 35% of my acquisitions... Pipestud is the best.
    And I am now up to 3 Rad's. And always looking for more. They are all awesome smokers.

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. 7ach

7ach

Login to Send PM

This Heeschen is one of my best.

This Rad is also often reached for because of its reliability

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine is a KKB Yello-bole Canadian that I got for $1.00 in a thrift shop. Smokes dry and cool no matter what I smoke in it. Sweet old wood!

My GBD Virgin Canadian and Comoys Golden Grain Canadian are equal to the Yello-bole and much prettier.

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You know I've been reading this thread for a few days, and I just couldn't figure out what I would say is my sweetest smoking pipe. I don't keep any that don't smoke good for me, but after some thought I decided that this Ser Jacopo Picta Magritte is just about my favorite. It smokes so wonderful I can't imagine anything smoking better. So for now this is it!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  54. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a bunch that smoke real nice, but probably the best is an old Dr. Grabow Golden Duke straight bulldog. I bought it off eBay awhile back. it always smoke nice all day long. It's sad, I've spent a lot more on some nice new pipes and my best smoker is an old beat up Grabow that I got for cheap.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  55. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"It's sad, I've spent a lot more on some nice new pipes and my best smoker is an old beat up Grabow that I got for cheap."

I'd say it's liberating, pick up some more old Grabow pipes and spend the savings on tobacco.

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a cheap basket pipe I picked up in the States well over 10 years ago ... It may be that I am emotionally attached to it, as it is also my first pipe, but I enjoy it best !

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  57. pipedreamin

pipedreamin

Login to Send PM

I'd have to say this guy--Rinaldo Skipper Sahara. Excellent fit and finish, I love the blast, The wide bit is comfortable, draw is perfect IMO. Just an all-around nice pipe that I like the look of and it fits the hand.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, cossackjack, jaytex969, nhhiggy, oldgeezersmoker, ashdigger, danimalia