What is the Strangest Tobacco You Have Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

okrent

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2013
A few months ago I was putting together an order over at smokingpipes and saw that they had Grousemoor in stock. I had seen this name mentioned on the forums a few times and knew it had a love or hate reputation but a blend so old was too enticing to pass up. Definitely the strangest tobacco I have smoked. The lemony aroma and taste almost like earl grey. Even the ash left at the end was strange. I liked it and have gone back a few times but experience of it is what stands out the most. So whats the strangest tobacco you have tried.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Fusiliers ration. Flat out weird. Wound up giving the tins away to a friend of mine. Had a strange vanilla like topping of some sort that coated my mouth and was just strange all the way around. I know I'm in the minority, and I'm not knocking Russ blending skills at all, but it is nothing like bengal slices to me. Weird topic, weird feeling, weird tobacco. YMMV.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Ashton "Rainy Day" gets my vote. I'm not sure if anyone else here has tried it; there was a tin at the local B&M my stepson decided to try. From top to bottom of the bowl, all I could think of was Lemon Pledge. After a few bowls, I've not tried it again.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Fusiliers ration. Flat out weird. Wound up giving the tins away to a friend of mine. Had a strange vanilla like topping of some sort
Just like the good old Bengal Slices, which it's trying to replicate :)
Strangest for me: Grousemoor (lemon tea anyone?) and 1792 Flake (Licking on a sweaty coal miner)

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Strangest I have smoke is also Grousemoor and 1792 Flake. I just ordered a tin of Fusiliers ration thought is was a English blend. Not to fond of aromatics does it ghost a pipe bad?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Ennerdale is strange, but I love it.
Also weird was Low Country (smokingpipes.com) "Black." Smelled like new sneakers, tasted like musty carpet.
BTW, Fusilier's Ration isn't an aromatic. It has a light anise/licorice topping that, to me, tastes a little like cake batter.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Another weird one: Chonowitsch T-14. Described as having a "woodland aroma," it just tasted weird to me -- kind of resiny and pine-woodsy, kind of like mango. Not very good (it left a chemically after taste), but definitely weird enough to try.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Holly's Non-Plus Ultra, tastes like Mixture #79 turned up to eleven. Which is to say, it tastes like cardboard soaked in your grandmothers perfume!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Reviews of Holly's Non Plus Ultra (which I never heard of) note:
"The only positive thing I can say about Non Plus is it is consistently nasty, fowl and vomit like in flavor. "
"The only worse-tasting tobacco I've ever encountered was when a friend of mine took some chopped up pieces of a tree, put them in a bag, and gave them to me as a joke."
"Things I would rather smoke than this blend: -C4 -Donald Trump's hairpiece -The powdered brains of my own children."
Can't wait to try it. :rofl:

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
This thread has made me think hard about the potential pitfalls of unknown blends. Danger lurks under the lid of some tins. As such, I fear this blend:
pipes-cigars-tobacco_2256_383563968

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
This weird Irish blend my friend gave me...opened it smelled like grape big league chew and then it tasted like vomit after easting a bunch of grapes

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I'm going with Cornell & Diehl's Gentleman Caller. Upon opening the tin you will encounter a large amount of gray leaf color in the blend which is the herb, deer tongue. Deer tongue is a wild growing plant that adds a vanilla flavor to tobacco. It does have a flavor very different than anything I've ever had before, but in a good way. I found it to be an exceptional blend. Word of caution, due to the deer tongue I find it best to smoke out of a cob due to ghosting issues. The last time I smoked it was over two months ago and one of my cobs still lingers strongly with the scent of deer tongue.
I first encountered the herb years ago while at a Native American Powwow. It was used before a ceremonial dance in a smoking blend called Kinnick Kinnick which contains only herbs and no tobacco.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Strangest smoke: I was at the airport and my flight was delayed. Ran out of what I as carrying, so I bought a pack of filterless Camels and dumped a few in my bowl. It was a harsh smoke. Few redeeming qualities to note.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I've had very limited experience in pipe tobacco, but the one that caught me off guard was 4noggins Painter Hills, It starts off with a topping that I can't quite place my finger on, then about a quarter bowl through you get smacked in the face with tobacco taste, it is listed as strong I guess, but wasn't quite sure how strong. That said I enjoy it, so it wasn't a bad thing

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Nothing rare, but for me nothing was as odd as Mixture No. 79. I really think this is just a misnamed potpourri.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not copping out here, but the strangest have been my own blends, the ones that

didn't work. Nothing exotic in the ingredients, maybe a little Virginia, a dash of OTC,

some Cavendish, and blending Latakia and/or Perique, but several have really illustrated

why professional blenders earn their keep. Some of them don't stay lit, when most or all

of the ingredients would have, but more than humidity or flake size problems, once lit

the flavors just didn't join. Not aged, not under pressure, etc. etc. I've been more

sensible with some of the blends, followed better examples, with mixed results. To be

fair, some of the blends have been pleasant, quite good. But when they don't work, it

can be strange indeed. But a good adventure and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.