Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Is the Single Most Special Blend, or Tin, in Your Stash?

(102 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by sablebrush52
  • Latest reply from grimpuffer
  1. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Do you have a blend or tin that is particularly special to you? It doesn't have to be some rare superstar or some form of unobtainium, just a single blend, or tin, that is special to you.

In my case, it's a single tin of State Express London Mixture. Here's why it's special to me. At the close of the 2016 WCPS, Jon Guss bought a couple of tins of it from a couple who were at the show to sell off the contents of a long deceased spouse's collection and cellar. Among the items for sale were several of these tins of London Mixture. Nobody was paying them any attention, rather, other buyers were scooping up the tins of Balkan Sobrainie Original Mixture and other superstar blends. Jon wasn't familiar with the blend and I had no memory of it.

After the show closed, Jon popped one of the tins and it was still moist and the scent was amazing, but nothing compared to the flavors that several decades had bestowed on it. It was one of the most memorable smokes I've ever had.

Since the show had closed and the couple had departed, there was no way to try to buy any of the remaining tins. I hoped that they would be back in 2017 and that maybe they would still have a tin or two to sell. I have to tell you that I thought about that possibility from time to time throughout the year between shows.

When I walked onto the floor at the 2017 show I looked for this couple, and to my disappointment, they weren't there. So much for my hopes of having another round with this wonderful old blend. Jon knew how much I had been looking forward to possibly obtaining some and he knew that I was very disappointed that it had not come to pass.

A week after the show closed I received a package in the mail. It was from Jon, and it was his one remaining tin of State Express London Mixture. I've put it in a safe place until I can bring it to the WCPS 2018 and share it with Jon.

That tin is the most special blend in my stash.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. docspipe

docspipe

Login to Send PM

For me it's a 2010 purchased, older styled rectangular tin of Peterson's Irish Flake. I kept one aside while the rectangular tins (which I prefer) were still being used. I'm glad I did as I noticed a change of taste in Irish Flake once Kolhasse Kopp no longer produced it. In spite of this, Irish Flake is still one of my favorites. I find the KK produced Rattray's Stirling Flake to be more of what I remember of Irish Flake in the rectangular tins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing rare or exotic to report, but some that really pique my curiosity and yet still entice aging them some more -- McC's Christmas Cheer 2015, and also their Navy Cavendish, Low Country Guendelose, C&D Burley Flake #1, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding and Potlatch, a tin of Edward G. Robinson, a tin of Nightcap and Royal Yacht I'm giving some age, Gaslight and Haddo's Delight, and Dark Star. Those are a few. As I try a few more aros, Stanwell's Melange (hardly an exotic) seems like it might be better to me now than when I bought it a few years ago. I'm also quite curious about a well-aged tin of C&D Riverboat Gambler, which has never been top rated but I suspect of having improved over four or five years. There may be some clunkers in the stash, and others that will need a little boost of condiment tobaccos. But I believe I have some goodies here. Nevermind a small tub of IR Three Star Blue and a tub of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. All in good time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. edwinbaz

edwinbaz

Login to Send PM

I have one tin of Davidoff Flake Medallions.
    When my daughter was born in August of 2016 I had purchased some Gurkha Centurions to pass along to my friends, but while I was looking at pipes of the year for '16 a few weeks back I realized I never purchased any pipe tobacco to mark the ocassion. Well, I quickly pulled my inventory list and saw that I recieved a tin of Davidoff Flake Medallions as part of P&C PToMC a few days before she was born. I located the tin in my petite cellar and put it away someplace else. I'm gonna age that tin, get the 2016 pipe of the year and then I'm gonna smoke it in said pipe in a few decades to celebrate some special occasion in her life. Those medallions should age very well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

I had wanted motzek Strang for over a year or so, TAD from reading these forums and specifically Sablebrush’s positive affirmations..., and magically after being on this forum for a few months , someone was selling a fairly large quantity that I purchased that will last me years . Still looking to get some more, haven’t seen it available since then.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An old YouTube friend I did a trade with sent me a tin of Orlik Bullseye and Orlik Golden Sliced from Great Britain. I've had them since 2012, and though they aren't super special they are unique to my tobacco collection. One they have the awesome anti-smoking labels on them (the only two like that in my cellar), and two its my understanding that Orlik Bullseye has been discontinued.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a sealed cutter top tin of Balkan Sobranie from the late 50’s that I cannot bring myself to open. I suppose the anticipation of how wonderful the tobacco will taste is stronger than my need to find out.....for now.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

G.L. Pease Mephisto. Only two tins left.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several sealed packages and boxes of packages and sealed plugs of Condor. These are the tobaccos in my stash that I covet most. Each time I start getting carried away by the fear of the tobaccolypse, I start buying up all the Condor I can get my hands on. (I start buying Condor, Semois, Royal Yacht, Hyde Park and G+H Rich Dark Honeydew).

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

I guess mine would be a tin of Renaissance

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2003 A.A. Peterson Escudo. I'm saving it to share the next time I visit my tobacconist. Problem is that I never go visit my tobacconist. Haven't been there in over 5 years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a tin of Dunhill Flake that is dated 11-15-11. What's special about this tin is that it is the very first tin I purchased specifically for cellaring.

I've had older and I have rarer. I've even run "tastings" here on the forum with unique baccy, but this one is ground zero for my cellar.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A couple 1996 and 1997 100g McClelland tins of Mature Virginia 22 and 27.
    Got those in Columbus last year for what I considered a good price.

Now the only problem is I don't want to open them.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My special tin is Peter Henreich’s Curly Special. It’s a 200 gram tin gifted to me out of the blue from Smoking Pipes (in 2010 when they could still do that legally) I’ve not opened it after all these years and I don’t plan on opening it until Christmas of 2020 to give it an even 10 years of aging. I’ve actually never tasted it before but I’ve read the reviews and it’s sound like it’s right up my alley.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in Houston. We visited Sarasota last weekend, and I found a few tins of Esoterica at a shop at Bird Key. I bought the one tin of Stonehaven he had and the two tins of Dunbar he had in stock. I was kinda excited to find them since I hadn’t any luck finding these from the online sellers. I’m sure I overpaid for these tins and that probably contributes a little to my treasuring them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have actually 3 that are special to me. I have a tin of Dunhill My Mixture 965 that my youngest son gave me 4 yrs ago for Christmas. It was the first pipe tobacco he ever bought me. I also have a tub of Mixture 79 that my wife got me 5 yrs ago. It was the first time I actually smoked Mixture 79. She knew absolutely nothing about pipe tobacco. I smoke it very little but do enjoy it from time to time. Lastly, I have a sealed quart jar of the old Rum & Maple No.59 which I bought in 2008.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. raevans

raevans

Login to Send PM

For me, it's a tin of G.L. Pease Tribute. Original 2001 first run that I picked up from Craig Tarler at the CORPS show. I had planned on sharing a bowl with Craig in 2021, sadly that will not happen now. Maybe I'll get lucky and run into the Darklord at one of the shows and be able to talk him into sharing a bowl or two.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My last log of Motzek Strang and years down the road I will eventually smoke through my stash of 3 Oaks Syrian and that last tin will be very hard to open.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. zerohunter

zerohunter

Login to Send PM

Sable, that's an awesome story.

I have two jars of Smokers' Haven Our Best Blend, one for aging and one for smoking. They're probably my most prized.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an "O.G." jar of 2035 Dark Navy Flake from one of my first pipe tobacco purchases. I guess that it is nearly 15 years old now, something like that. Basically everything else was bought within the past couple of years, since I had stopped smoking for a while and didn't keep much from the first go-round.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

I have a couple. I first started smoking a pipe in 2006, the year my twin girls were born. My first nonaromatic tobacco came from SP. It was a sampler log of tins from C & D. I bought it because one of the tins was Bailey's Front Porch and one of my girls names is Bailey. I smoked all of the tins in the sampler except a tin of Yale Mixture which I'm keeping. (Man that sucker has swelled up) I'm sure I'll pop it at some point, but it marks the year my girls were born and the year I started smoking the pipe. I also acquired a few tins of Bailey's Front Porch from Pipestud that were dated 2006 for the same reason.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an old 1940's cutter top tin of my all-time favorite tobacco, Dunhill London made Royal Yacht. I fess up to the fact that I smoked all the tobacco in a matter of weeks but I did keep the tin. Does that count?

Pipestud
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. james72

james72

Login to Send PM

I've got a couple of the Squadron Leader with Perique tins. Not particularly sentimental about them, but they're cool. Never smoked any and probably never will. Just something to pass down to my kids some day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stud, I still have the tin from a cutter top of Capstan Blue circa 1920's. So, I'm with you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I do have 3 unopened Black Frigate shoe polish style tins that are pretty 2000's, but consider them to be more decoration than anything.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice story Jesse. I had to think about this for a while as I do have a number of aged tins. I have one each of 1997 Orlik Golden and Dark Strong Kentucky 100 gram tins. They represent my foray into flakes and 98 percent of my cellar is flakes.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cgrd

cgrd

Login to Send PM

I've got about 6oz left of pipeinhand's "Halfling's Leaf" blend. It's the only aromatic in my collection, and the most popular blend amongst my family & friends. I only smoke it when I know I'll be around a campfire with them, and so it has become associated with friends, family, and good times.

Considering it was pretty much a forum blend, and he's stopped making it, I will be sad when it's all gone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since my first tamp in June, I've been working slow and steady to begin a "respectable" cellar.

The most anticipated is a 100 gram tin of Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd from 2013. It's a bit swollen and it calls my name every so often.

It's the only Rattray's I've ever owned and I've never tried it, but I somehow have 3 periques open right now, so not just yet....

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two of the large Bell's 3 Nuns tins (late '80s early '90s) and one tin of Bengal Slices from about the same time. They were the first tinned tobaccos I ever smoked. I'm saving both for Christmas smokes with friend Richard, the pipe manager at the Gatlin-Burlier who was my pipe mentor. Neither of us can bring ourselves to crack them, and keep putting it off until "maybe next Christmas."

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every plug of Condor that I can get my hands on is precious to me! I have a (ahem) few, but I still find myself rationing it. The last breath I draw I want to be this!!!!

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a box of unopened original War Horse Bars from the 1930/50s containing 16 perfectly preserved War Horse Plugs from heaven knows when that I will only open and smoke when Weezell comes over for the weekend!

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^ God Bless My Brother!!! We need to make that happen come spring...

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I have a box of unopened original War Horse Bars from the 1930/50s containing 16 perfectly preserved War Horse Plugs from heaven knows when...

Say...these aren't the ones that received rodent supplied golden showers are they?

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice story, Jesse. I guess my most revered tobacco is a half pound of Penzance that's somewhere between 20 and 30 years old. Unopened, looks moist, looks good, but don't know if I'll smoke it or trade it.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suppose it would an 8 oz tin of Our Best Blend I bought in 2006.
    Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. renfield

renfield

Login to Send PM

A tin of Esoterica And So To Bed I got during a visit to Iwan Ries with my brother several years ago. Nothing special except the memories.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarbuda48

Login to Send PM

Bohemian Scandal, one tin and a 1970’s Rattray’s Old Gowrie. I have about two bowls each of Early 70’s Marlin Flake and Howl O the Wind.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

edwinbaz - I also decided to put away a tin after our daughter was born last summer, to save for a special occasion. It was also a tin of Davidoff Flake Medallions.

Planning to do an exploration of coins this spring or summer, so I'll have to order another tin to crack.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. jon11

jon11

Login to Send PM

I have a tin of 1995 Christmas Cheer...sounds like some good 22year old Virginia just waiting to be opened

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Nothing special except the memories.

And the memories make it special. With regard to the State Express, the generosity of Jon's friendship makes that tin special. And after it's all smoked up and it's and empty tin, it will still be special for that reason.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

I have an old 1940's cutter top tin of my all-time favorite tobacco, Dunhill London made Royal Yacht. I fess up to the fact that I smoked all the tobacco in a matter of weeks but I did keep the tin. Does that count?

Pipestud

Savage barbaric ...
    This had to go to a museum

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's been a long while since I've bought a 'tin' of anything. I smoke bagged bulks, but I do have a few on the shelf that I know taste great when fresh and will improve with the age my resistance to opening them affords.
    In order of preference they are:
    1. Rattray's Marlin Flake
    2. GLP's JackKnife Plug
    3. Escudo
    I've got at least 2 years on all of these, more like 3.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Jesse those wound up in Dan's hands and the best of the batch were fed to Jim Inks during the War Horse Bar blending process. These ones have never been allowed near Dan and are stored in a airtight plastic humidor in a glass curio cabinet next to a pile of 'cutty' pipes in my front room!

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every tin of Royal Yacht is special to me, but the tins people have gifted to me have been the favorites over the years.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I almost forgot about my 8 oz jar of Steven Books’ very own Seven of Nine. It’s a very nice blend of straight Virginias. I got that from him at his store, House of Calabash in Oregon City in 2012. I love that blend and it reminds me of all the times I spent chatting with him in his shop. He was always very welcoming and we always lit up a pipe and just enjoyed each others company, I could spend the whole day there. He was a great man and an excellent blender. I always smoke that blend in his honor, may he rest in peace.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No longer in production:
    Samuel Gawith Bracken Flake - about 4 years ago I found in a local B&M a few tins which already had several years of age; most delicious.

Compton's of Galashiels Macedonian Mixture
    Compton's of Galashiels Balkan

Tambolaka

Each smoked very slowly in small pipes on very special occasions.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bourbon Blend acquired from Ed James. Have a few other irreplaceable and well aged/dear to me blends but this was obtained during my last transaction with Ed. Had filled a bag for him after opening, it was never sent. Tastes great, I smoke a little on occasion and have given a few samples out to those who appreciate it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. dino

dino

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been nursing a tin of Balkan Sobranie 759, that I bought in the mid 60s. I have nearly an ounce left, that has the consistency of coffee grounds. I need to put a small pinch of Blue Mountain at the bottom of the bowl, so I don't get just dust through the stem. The few times a year that I have a pinch or two, the stuff tastes great; quite a bit mellower, but the smell and taste are the same as when I cut open the tin. I'll be very sad when it's gone. But, I have a nice stash of Samovar to help me pull through.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

It’s a toss-up between some GH&C Bob’s Square Cut from pre-1990, and Omar’s Hawk, a personal blend from 2000 that I had tinned up by an up and coming blender savant.
    Omar was my German Shepherd who alway scanned the sky for hawks. One time he actually caught a wandering Emu. He liked big birds!!

Posted 11 months ago #
  50. tnfan

tnfan

Login to Send PM

4 tins 3Oaks Syrian 2010
    1 tin 3Oaks 2011
    Christmas Cheer 100g - 1 7/00
    Christmas Cheer 100g - 1 7/10
    Christmas Cheer 100g - 1 7/11
    Christmas Cheer 100g - 3 7/12

At my age (71) I probably need to start smoking these soon!

Posted 11 months ago #
  51. maduromadness

maduromadness

Login to Send PM

I walked into a B&M during the McClelland rush looking for Cheer and Aniversary (being a McClelland lover since my early smoking days) and I found tins of Rich Virginia Ribbon...it always seemed to disappear when I went looking for it. RVR was on my buy list for a long time but never to be found. Even has some age on it, really looking forward to smoking some .

Posted 11 months ago #
  52. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I walked into a B&M during the McClelland rush looking for Cheer and Aniversary
    [quote]

CC's last year of production was 2016, so finding that at a B&M would have been a small miracle.

Posted 11 months ago #
  53. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On my first trip to NYC a few years ago with my wife (and friends) she accompanied me to the Nat Sherman townhouse after a few drinks (she normally frowns upon smoking). We had a great time there. I love the history of the place and we picked out cigars for our group. When I got to the checkout I noticed their pipe tins and chose that one. It was more expensive than I was used to paying but totally worth it. I know it's going to age very well and it just reminds me of the great memories I had in NY on that trip. I was also extremely new to cigars back then and my friends and I smoked them that night drunk as a skunk. I found out the next morning my idiot best friend had inhaled the whole stick... Anyways, good times!

Posted 11 months ago #
  54. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me it is McClelland 40th Anniversary.

When this blend was introduced, I had been smoking and cellaring for a few years and I was finally at the point that I knew good when I tasted it. This blend was good (great). So I stocked up right from the first release with no regret. Then, a few months later, McClelland was gone and 40th was urban legend. During that time I had no panic and was able to sit back and relax. So it's my single most special blend because it reminds of how far I had come from the early days of jumping on every blend mentioned on line.

Neal
    Posted 11 months ago #
  55. woopigpiper

woopigpiper

Login to Send PM

I've got an 8oz Bufflehead sealed can of McClelland's 5100 Red Cake from 2004. Of all the tobacco in my possession, none of them are sealed in a way, like this one, that could probably age unspoiled for a century. Now we'll just have to see how long it stays locked away...

WooPigPiper
    u/feernot
    Posted 11 months ago #
  56. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Four 2 oz tins of GLP Renaissance from 2000-2002.

The 2003-2004 were different batches and are very different and not as good as the 00-02 batches.

BTW, I mason jar all my tobacco and rarely leave them in their tin.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  57. herrpfeifen

herrpfeifen

Login to Send PM

Well, it would have been my last tin of Raven's Wing, but I opened that a few months ago and it's half gone now.

Home (Florida) for the holidays in 1997 I opened a tin of Christmas Cheer that I'd bought because of the name and maybe a favorable mention or review in P&T magazine. Come to think of it, it may have been the first straight VA I'd tried. It was startlingly good, sweet with some spicy, citrusy elements, and I bought two more tins to keep. I guess that was the beginning of my cellar/hoard because I still have those tins. There are some very small rust spots on the bottoms but they are both nice and puffy. I'm going to crack the rustier one as soon as I smoke through the tin of Boston 1776 I have open.

Posted 11 months ago #
  58. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

delete

Posted 11 months ago #
  59. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two 8oz tins of Bohemian Scandal i bought when I first started the pipe.. around '05 or so. I was stopping in every pipe shop i saw back then the wife was in Clarksburg for a reunion i stumbled into an old store front and bought them on the owners recommendation. Smoked one and saved the other two.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 11 months ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

opus777

Login to Send PM

It would have to be the 1992 XMAS cheer tin, Yummy.

Posted 11 months ago #
  61. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve got a tin of Kingfisher and Peterson’s University Flake in the rectangular tins. Kingfisher is dated to 1999 and the UF Flake is from 2000. I’ve also got a tin of Irish Flake and Dunhill Light Flake in the old rectangular tin (both from 2007) and last but not least a tin of Standard Medium from the late 80’s.

Michael
    Posted 11 months ago #
  62. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Condor Long Cut (about 16 flakes left), half a plug of Condor, and a tin of McRaines Red Flake from 2012 that I will open only when I know I have only a few months left to live.

Posted 11 months ago #
  63. johnsteam86

johnsteam86

Login to Send PM

I've grown really fond of Drexel VIII and VI. They were the first non aromatics that I tried and wow the flavor was there. Since then I have pretty much been stocking about 8 oz each per month to keep in stock and to see how they age. The only bad thing is now both of those blends have me on a TAD trying new blends my different makers and I need a new filing cabinet for storing now. I guess that is not a bad thing though.

Posted 11 months ago #
  64. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some interesting stories in this thread. I have a very modest cellar. If I had to pick one tin that I would mark as special, it might be Holiday Spirit 2016 - my sons first Christmas. Who knows? I might just share that tin with him one day.

Posted 11 months ago #
  65. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now that would be cool, mikethompson.

Posted 11 months ago #
  66. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

I've got Robert McConnell Scottish Cake in my tobacco rotation and in my cellared jar. I think I'm in love with kentucky now

Adhie was here
    Posted 11 months ago #
  67. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

Well until recently it was my 2 tins of 98 Christmas Cheer. Within the past few months though I have found a steal of a deal on 94 and 95 Christmas Cheers and also a decent deal on the 83 crop of McCranie's Red Ribbon so those 3 would be my most prized now. Not sure when I'll crack into the McCranie's because I do still have some left of a partial tin I bought a while back that I enjoy occasionally. The Christmas Cheers will be opened and enjoyed around Christmas to mark exceptionally special years hopefully in the near future!

Posted 11 months ago #
  68. samw74

samw74

Login to Send PM

I’ve got a jar with a little less than 2 ounces of Low Country Cooper. My son’s birthday is on November 5th. Last year, I started a tradition of smoking one bowl every year on his birthday. By the way, his name is Cooper.

Posted 11 months ago #
  69. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've said this several times before, and perhaps I will be able to keep silent after saying it again, but there is a real danger in designating certain tins as special and to be aged long-term. Such tobacco enters a twilight zone (I'm streaming "Night Gallery") and never gets smoked as it has become tobacco to be smoked later. The years come and go without it being smoked. I cannot remember smoking any such designated tobacco during the last five years.

Now it's still boxed. To what end did I not smoke it? Purportedly to be savored more deeply when I did. But now if I stay quit I'll never smoke it. My point here is that as the future is unknown, how can those to be savored smoking moments be safely predicted?

More, how can delaying gratification and its attendant frustration really be any better than immediate? You may say that loving the effects of aging, of course it will be better. Yet Pease has written that the exuberance and liveliness of fresh tobacco are qualities sufficient to rival those of the aged. Isn't concentration and the willingness to be captivated by the tobacco you are smoking the most important elements in enjoying a smoke?

Posted 11 months ago #
  70. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks mrenglish, it was unintentional when I bought it, but everything worked out that way.

skydog, any tin of Christmas Cheer is special, but aged ones especially so. I to have some 2015 Christmas Cheer jarred I save for the winter months.

samw74, cool tradition!

Posted 11 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mawnansmiff, cosmicfolklore, jrbjr, adforbes, ray47, cossackjack, bnichols23, chasingembers, dukdalf