PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I see this pop up all the time, people talking about hipsters taking over pipe smoking, hipster this, hipster that, "I'm sure not a hipster" (hint: if you feel you need to say you're not a hipster you probably are), etc.
I sit here twirling my handlebar mustache and contemplating my next purchase of tight jeans and have to admit I find it rather hilarious.

Jan 8, 2013
I don't believe hipsters are really human. I think they're something similar to a vampire. We should be afraid... very afraid.
Out of curiosity after just typing the above, I google searched hipster vampire and found this...
i-listen-to-vampire-weekend-to-maintain-hipster-cred-but-i-bump-dont-stop-believing-on-high-speacker-anonomously-in-my-vw.jpg

I might be on to something. I will now add a little garlic to my tobacco when I'm smoking anywhere hipsters might congregate.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
People can't stand change and the so called hipsters have ushered in many shifts in popular culture, so they face backlash. I was into records, pipes, Leica cameras and fixed gear bicycles in the 80's so I find it funny when I end up with the label. Yes I have a beard but I also know how to chop down a tree, so i consider it functional. :lol:

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
I'm of the mind that I do not care who enjoys a pipe as long as they're truly enjoying the experience and not doing it for looks. I think it's hilarious how people get aggravated by more people taking up their hobby just because they dress differently than they do.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
I'm of the mind that I do not care who enjoys a pipe as long as they're truly enjoying the experience and not doing it for looks. I think it's hilarious how people get aggravated by more people taking up their hobby just because they dress differently than they do.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
It's ok that the "hipsters" do it...if it gains enough popularity, maybe the will stop creating legislation against it.. ex. prohibition.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have never understood the hate "hipsters" get in the pipe world. I think if someone walked past me on the street smoking a pipe, wearing my fedora and listening to good music on my headphones, they would probably classify me as a hipster. But in the end, who cares. If being young and having good taste makes you a hipster, then sign me up!

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
I have never understood the hate "hipsters" get in the pipe world. I think if someone walked past me on the street smoking a pipe, wearing my fedora and listening to good music on my headphones, they would probably classify me as a hipster. But in the end, who cares. If being young and having good taste makes you a hipster, then sign me up!
Your only a hipster if your doing all that ironically.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I recently heard my local pipe shop (who has a weekly podcast) talk about this. They gave the best explanation to this I've heard. If you are smoking a pipe to try and complete a "Look" then you're probably what people would classify as a Hipster. However if you're smoking because you like the taste, ritual, or the art of the pipe itself then you're more than likely not a "hipster". I personally don't care why anyone chooses to smoke a pipe, it's not going to dampen my love of the leaf and warm briar.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
It's pretty much the same sort of "not one of us" hate that was aimed at punks in the late 70's and early 80's, then aimed at "poseurs" by the punks in the late 80's and early 90's, at which point the cool kids all jumped on the "grunge" bandwagon. Mods vs. Rockers, Teddy Boys, Emo kids, yadda yadda yadda - any group that sets itself apart gets a certain amount of hostility from those that they set themselves apart from. There's probably a technical sociological term for it...

A few days ago, I had these two gentlemen come and work on my air. They had longish hair, side burns, and wore shirts with bands on them (I think). In their conversation they started making fun of hippies. I laughed to myself, because it was hilarious to see hippies making fun of hippies. Like they don't know what they are or something. Ha ha. I've seen Easy Rider. I know a thing or two.
This is how I see this. Guys with pipes and facial hair not knowing how the rest of the world sees us. We're hipsters, so what? I've never really fit into any of the subculture before, so at over 50, I have one. And, you probably do to. Ha ha. You bunch of hipster hippies.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Same thing is going on in the golf world now, with many people picking up an interest in hickory shafted clubs. They have tournaments where people will play clubs that are decades old, dress up like they did in that time period, and play golf.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have been accused of being a hipster. I sport a handlebar moustache, and have been for the past 15 years. I've been smoking a pipe just as long, and I never leave my house without a corduroy blazer, and I am talking heavy thrift store corduroy, not Kohls paper thin replicas. I also wear a couple fedoras, but mostly trilbies. But I don't buy of my hats new either. All of my hats are vintage from the 40s-60s.
I recently took one of those Facebook quizes "How Old Are You Really". According to that test, I was 69 years old. Too bad I am only 42.
EDIT--
Maybe that's why I am still single. Oh well, I am sure there is someone out there who will love me for who I am. :D

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Same thing is going on in the golf world now, with many people picking up an interest in hickory shafted clubs. They have tournaments where people will play clubs that are decades old, dress up like they did in that time period, and play golf.
Seems like a logical extension of stuff like Civil War reenacting, bamboo fly-fishing rods, and handtool-only woodworking.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 catyrpelius
I consider the true hipsters the ones who are trying too hard. Wearing non-prescription glasses (or worse, without lenses). The super tight jeans, the t-shirts that are too tight and layered with a horribly ugly -and more importantly very used- cardigan. Scarves that aren't seasonal or traditionally worn by men. Listening to music no one has ever heard of so you can say you listen to bands no one has ever heard of.
The main difference is trying to be ironic and that comes from the look of trying too hard to be different just to be different.
I could be considered a bit of a hipster as I smoke a pipe (not ironically), dress nicer than most of my peers (button ups, sweaters, ankle boots, chinos, ties, vests, etc.), I like flat caps and listen to music most people have never heard of (metal) ... but I don't talk about it nor do I act pretentiously. Hipster and Bohemian meet ironically and produce what we generally loathe and consider "hipster."
Buuuuut, they have also created a market that I am thankful for: better restaurants with creative menus, better coffees, better beers and making old stuff cool again.
They are a gift and a curse.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I agree with the 'if it's for a look, it hipster'.
However, how many of those folk are going to try it for the look and get hooked on the art? More than several.
Thus, I am pro hipster pipesmoking because it represents a short term big boost and a smaller long term boost to the endeavor.
As for skinny jeans, I find them repugnant. Just like the whole 'pants at half mast' thing that has permeated another demographic for a long time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.