PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If there is one traditional shape that people either love or hate, with no middle ground, what do you think it is?
I can get behind most shapes as the finish, material, and size can make for a multitude of different Bulldogs for instance, but from my time here I'd gather that churchwardens fit the bill.
What say you?
71Fg2M8OlBL._SX355_.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Oom Paul/Hungarian shape. I personally don't like and will never purchase one. Others might love them.

004-009-9113.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Any of the weird "artistic" shapes, such as the Blowfish and the Volcanoes mentioned above. While any number of non-smokers might appreciate the appearance of a well-made classically-shaped pipe, only pipe smokers seem to like the oddball artisan funny shapes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The ones I've heard grumbled about most would be pot (too basic and squatty), and poker (too simplistic); many other shapes that get slammed also have proponents, not that pot and poker don't. There are big blowfish, volcano, and hawkbill fans. Churchwarden is not so much a pipe shape, since the long stems are put on a variety of stummels.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Personally, it's the bulldog. An uglier, more tasteless. and ungainly shape cannot be imagined. It is the Quasimodo, the black velvet Elvis with Jesus, of classical pipe shapes. And despite, or perhaps because of, its singular awfulness it is among the most beloved of pipe shapes.
I love apples, a well done billiard, the occasional Dublin, and volcano, and pot. I like like Paul Tatum's bizarre concoctions, so I am decidedly not orthodox about pipe purity.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Churchwarden is not so much a pipe shape, since the long stems are put on a variety of stummels.
Fair enough Tom, but that churchwarden stem can change someone's opinion of a pipe in a hurry.
The diverse replies suggest to me there really aren't any polarizing shapes, just a lot of personal preference in shapes which isn't really a surprise.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
It's true I've heard some grumbling about pot shaped pipes. Pots are among my favorites to smoke but I know a lot of people detest them.
I also agree that people either find churchwarden/lesepfeife either impractical and too much an affectation or else really cool. Not being a wizard from a movie I fall in the first category.
Corncobs are very divisive but I suppose that is more a question of material than it is a question of shape.
If they were more common I think pipes in the vein of the Vauen Quixx would also be divisive. I think they look more suited for marijuana than tobacco.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pokers. Don't like 'em, even when well crafted, smooth or blast, brown or black, short or long. Ugh. Topped only by a poker that's also a pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.