What is the Ideal Size for a Prince?

(24 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by stanlaurel
  • Latest reply from mso489
  1. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am planning to buy a Prince and I see that they come in so many sizes that it is confusing me.

Please weigh-in on what sorts of length, weight and chamber size combinations are best and what blends should be smoked in them.

Thanks.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think this hinges on how you smoke. If you work while smoking the length and bend of the traditional prince can make for a lot of dumped ash if you aren't careful. A short straight prince would probably be easier to work with. The old school prince makes for a terrific clencher for the leisurely smoker; something between 5.5-6.5" and less than 1.5 oz. Beyond this I'll rotate through my blends to see what works best for a given pipe. I've found it exceedingly difficult to predict an exceptional combination of pipe and leaf and some of my most synergetic pairings defy dogma.

If I was in the market for a prince (and I am!) I would be looking for something light, long, bent, with thick walls and a short bowl.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

moriarty

Login to Send PM

I think this is a good question. The prince is one pipe where the dimensions are particularly important and cannot be varied much. You don't see Dunhill making group 2 size or group 6 size princes, as they would look wrong. I've seen larger than normal princes and they just look "off" to me, even when the proportions are right. There's no delicacy or grace. And smaller ones look weedy and like toy pipes.

The Dunhill group 4 (4407) prince dimensions are ideal, to me, and I've been happy with every prince I've owned, from numerous pipemakers, that observed similar dimensions. The key is the length - 6 1/4 inches. In order to make the bowl size right and keep the proportions elegant, the pipe needs some length in the stem. But more than this length would make it look like a churchwarden and it would be wrong. Too short and it loses all the elegance and grace of the shape. At this length the bowl would have about a 20mm wide chamber and a nice roundness to the bowl with comfortable wall thickness.

The chamber dimensions are important, I think, because it is supposed to be a pipe with a shallow, broad chamber. The depth and breadth of the chamber should be reasonably equal, like a pot. This gives a smoke that is not too long, and allows complex or strong blends to play best - particularly English and oriental blends. Same principle as the pot, but a much more beautiful shape.

It's all my opinion, of course, and if you prefer something different I can't argue. But I've found this to be the one pipe shape, more than any other, where varying the size or proportions never works as satisfactorily.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

moriarty

Login to Send PM

I agree with bigpond too that if the prince is straight then it can be a little shorter.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Prince only comes in small size. But, I have no idea if he is straight.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

moriarty

Login to Send PM

Legend has it that Prince is completely straight - almost to a fault.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woah, half of what I wrote above didn't make it through. There was an entire paragraph between the first and fourth sentences above that is absent and oddly, the text editor made a single paragraph out of the remainder. Weird.

Anyway, the gist is the same. I just mentioned that pipe makers are all over the place with their vision of the shape as a quick check at spc will show. You've gotta smoke it so pick one that appeals.

As far as the impact of bowl dimensions on tobacco choice, I tend to find bowls less than 20mm bring out the high notes while wider bowls accentuate the low.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dunhill Group 4 is perfect !! Group 5 if you're going for a Diplomat (5128).

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the consensus is little, at least in France

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good one Cosmic. A prince should be flamboyant.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the consensus is little, at least in France
    As in Antoine de St. Exupéry's book? (Le Petit P.)?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If we are lucky Greg Pease just might show off his Prince collection...best set of Princes I've ever seen. And they are what I like to call Prince "classics."

Personally I think the Prince (when done right) is sleek, classy and sassy and resembles a fine sports car. I like them 6 inches in length and in a weight range of 50-60 grams with just a very slight bend in the stem. IMO it's that stem bend that makes or breaks a sexy looking Prince.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Comoy's 337C
    5.7" long
    3/4" bore
    1.25" deep

Comoy's 228C
    5.7" long
    Just under .7" bore
    1 1/8" deep

Have and love both.

Loewe made the shape before anyone else, let's take a look at the first and best prince, the Loewe Captanide:
    5.7" long
    1.25" deep
    .84" bore, more like a pot than how we think of a prince on the bore

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Oh, and 30-34g for the above

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few and love them all but this is my favorite by the late Sixten Ivarsson.
    banjo

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's an amazing pipe, fish. I'd give my eyeteeth for it. Not that that would be a very appetizing trade from your perspective. The blast, the bamboo, everything about it has character. It's weathered, classic, and classy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

About 6ft 2inches and weigh in around 200lbs.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

6 inches long, 20 mm chamber, 40 grams.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's my favorite, the Savinelli Oscar Lucite 315 KS. The color combination, briar stain and stem color, might not be my first choice, but the size pipe and width of chamber, weight, and balance are pretty much ideal, so much so that despite my profligate pipe buying, I've not bought another. When I need a prince for its special characteristic, this one does the job.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=192989

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the input.

I bought this Savinelli Roma 313:

It is nearly identical to the one in this link.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great choice!

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great choice! I love Sav's 313 and the larger 315KS. The 315XL is a bit too large IMO

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please weigh-in on what sorts of length, weight and chamber size combinations are best and what blends should be smoked in them.

Unfortunately, I do not think there is a specific answer to that question. Mainly because everyone will have a different opinion.

Many have stated that they prefer their princes to be larger, well I guess I am on the other side of the fence because I think the prince shape make an excellent small pipe. Some of the French made pipes makes tremendous small sized princes.

As for the style of tobacco that works best,again,this answer will vary from person to person and pipe to pipe. I would tend to lean toward mixtures in a prince, due to the wide and shallow bowl. But I have a couple that are excellent VA Flake pipes.

Nonetheless, the prince is one of my favorite shapes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

stan', that's a fine Sav prince; I like the texture on that briar.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bouwser, headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique, donjgiles, ormazd, justanotherdude