PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
With Gallaher closing its doors and anti tobacco legislation increasing what do you all think the future holds for Condor tobacco? I'm guessing that the formula will be sold to a company in Denmark that will reissue a slightly different version causing wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Any thoughts?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know "from Condor," but when brands of tobacco are sold, the sourcing of the constituent leaf changes,

and therefore the blend changes, so you may get a good product, but it won't be the same. Even within the same

company, the availability of particular tobaccos shifts with weather conditions and the tobacco market, and it is

a struggle to keep any blend the same between any two years. It will improve your experience if you are continually

finding new blends to be among your favorites.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have prepared for this eventuality under secret directive 15c-101 and secreted large stashes of strategic Condor stocks in both RR and plug form that should be sufficient at my current rate of consumption to allow my normal consumption patterns to continue unimpeded for the next 38 years and I am not joking either! Furthermore in view of these troubling developments at Gallaghers and especially after tasting the 'Spanish' version of Condor which gives one a good idea of what the future for Condor will look like in a post Gallaghers world. It is also the reason I and a few friends decided to set up El Crappo Tobacco. It will guarantee the world an unimpeded source of quality tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
condor, sounds like you've cornered the market in the vaults of condor, the tobacco version of Fort Knox.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
"especially after tasting the 'Spanish' version of Condor "
Please explain... what is the Spanish version of Condor?

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
The big question everybody really wants to know is who has more tobacco, Peck with his 650ish lbs of many different blends, or Condorlover with his 38 years worth of only Condor? Bets anybody?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"...who has more tobacco, Peck with his 650ish lbs of many different blends, or Condorlover with his 38 years worth of only Condor?..."
Could it be that condorlover1 and peckinpahhombre are actually one and the same? The world wonders.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"With Gallaher closing its doors..."
Gallaher is not going away. Or, more accurately, the Gallaher name is not going away. What was Gallahers went away when it was sold to Japan Tobacco back in 2007 for some ungodly sum of money. What JTI wanted, primarily, was Gallaher's cigarette business. By that time, (I believe)all of Gallaher's pipe tobacco was already being made under license by Orlik/STG. What has happened now is that JTI closed the Gallaher cigarette factory. Just too damned expensive to run, in their estimation. They will now make cigarettes somewhere else. Probably in eastern Europe. The pipe tobacco will continue to be made by someone else, like STG, and JTI will simply collect royalty checks.
So, Condor Fans, do not panic.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
I've got some Condor from Lanzarote, what have I got to look forward to ?? with this Spanish version. Didn't even know it was a different blend.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
I've recently returned to Condor after a long time away. It has been very pleasant indeed to smoke this again and I'm confident that it will continue to be around for a while yet. Like my regular daily favourite, St. Bruno, it changed hands and is still going strong. These two blends are amongst the few that you can now buy over the counter here in the UK in shops other than tobacconists.

Steve

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here are in my humble opinion the answers to the points raised above. Both myself and Andre have noticed a distinct difference between the Spanish marked packets of Condor as opposed to the UK ones. The Spanish stuff seems to be causer with less of the famous 'Condor Aroma' when you fire the stuff up. It also seems to me to be a lighter color whereas Condor should always be a dark black color. I think it should be call El Buzzard as it just isn't quite right and I would be interested to hear Eighty Wons views on this as I gave him a pouch of the stuff when I was visiting California in December. The UK/Duty Free stuff in the green RR packs seems to conform to the regular Condor I have always smoked but even I have noticed a subtle difference over the last fifteen years or so. That being said the 'Plugs' of Condor seem to last exactly like the way I have always know the stuff to taste so maybe its just all down to the way the tobacco is cut. I have heard that Condor is indeed made under license by STG and I would not be surprised if the tobacco mix has been changed although in reality you could make Condor out of shredded newspaper and providing the topping was added I doubt you would notice the difference! :rofl:

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
After reading this thread I spent yesterday smoking 4 bowls of El Buzzard. I'll admit I'm not very familiar with Condor and spent the day thinking I could not tell a difference. This morning I smoked a bowl of Condor UK. It was definitely different to me. The UK version seemed to be sweeter, more fragrant like that perfume essence I think of when I think of lakelands. The cut seemed to be more ready rubbed ribbons and easily stayed lit. The Spanish version cut seemed more like a rubbed out broken flake, required more relights, and seemed to have a more cologne like essence vs perfume. Almost like a menthol taste, a little deeper/darker flavor. Like the sweet of dark chocolate vs the sweet of the floral UK version. Just my view, since you asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.