PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Hi everyone,
I've only recently started smoking pipes in the last 3-4 months. This is my first post, but I've been soaking up the knowledge on here for a little while. Anyway, the first pipe I got to give this hobby a try is a Vauen. I don't yet have the experience to compare it to other brands, but it has been good for a starter pipe. I was looking at it today, though, and noticed a small hole the size of a pin in the finish on the bottom part of the bowl.
20140421_145433_zpsde431b6f.jpg

Is this something I've done by breaking it in wrong? (Don't think so, since Vauens come pre-carbonized, and the cake seems to have built up well enough). Is it a flaw in the finish? Will it cause short-term problems (i.e., is it alright to keep smoking out of it)? Not too worried about the long-term, since I'm pretty sure I probably haven't broken the pipe in properly because of newbie mistakes, but I'd like to keep using it until I can get my hands on a decent Stanwell or Savinelli. Unfortunately, Vauen is pretty much the only brand they sell here in Peru. Should I be trying to return this to the tobacconist's? Any advice is appreciated.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the welcome and the quick response. I've fixed the problem with the pic, so it should come through now. Thanks again!

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks for putting my mind at ease, Sam. I started looking it over more closely after reading a bit about grains and fills, but hadn't run across the term "pit" yet. I carefully stuck a pin in and it barely fits the very tip, so I'm guessing it'll be no problem, like you said.
I'm originally from New Hampshire, but I've been living in Peru nine years now, about 4 months in Arequipa and the rest of it in Lima. I've been to Cusco several times, since it's sort of a mandatory trip (and rightly so!) anytime anyone comes to visit and wants to see some of Peru. Have you been?
Lucas

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most pipes have an imperfection or two, which you can see as an annoyance, or part of the personality of

the pipe. In the Japanese tea ceremony, the irregularities in the tea service are considered features to be

meditated upon, part of their art. Of course, the more expensive the pipe, the fewer imperfections you expect.

Is your Vauen a 9mm filtered pipe? That is customary with many European pipe smokers. In the U.S., at least

among pipe smokers who frequent Forums, unfiltered pipes are most popular these days.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As everyone else says it a small 'sand ding' and will not effect your smoking pleasure. I posted somewhere here about the fabled exploding pipe that was full of filler from London so you have nothing to worry about. As an aside that looks like a very handsome pipe. Enjoy.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks to everyone for their help. I can now enjoy my pipe without worrying that I somehow ruined it, haha.
mso: That's a great way to look at it, I think. The "imperfection" doesn't bother me, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't done anything I shouldn't have! It is a 9mm, yes. That's pretty much what's available here, though I have tried smoking it with the "bent pipe cleaner" trick suggested elsewhere on the forum and I do prefer the taste of the tobacco unfiltered, for sure. Unfortunately, by the time I let the pipe cool for an hour after smoking and take out the sopping wet piece of pipe cleaner, it seems to have left a slightly sour smell behind. Any way to avoid this? Looks like I'll either have to order an unfiltered pipe over the internet, or I did manage to find a couple low-end ($80 or so) Chachoms here that look like a step up from what I've got. Are these a good buy (one is from the Rafting series, and the other is a Concorde, but the stem on that one felt pretty loose to me, compared to the Rafting)? Or should I wait a bit and order a Stanwell or Peterson with my next order of tobacco from the U.S.?
Condor: Thanks very much! It's been good to me so far. Got me hooked on this hobby, for starters.
Sam: Are you married to a Peruvian, too? Peruvian food... Now you're talking. While I can't get all the pipe tobaccos and accessories I would like to down here, there is always the great food, which is not the worst consolation prize, I guess. I don't know Tinto, but we've tried to go to Punto Azul a few times and haven't been able to get in either. You should try La Mar for seafood, if you haven't.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
In Lima, a pouch of Capt. Black or Amphora will set you back $15+. Half & Half and Borkum Riff are slightly less. There are also some sketchy aros and cavendish mixtures I've never seen mentioned on the forums, but they've got almost unanimous 1-star reviews on Tobacco Reviews.
I started out with a couple different McBaren blends in a pouch, but they're no bargain at $10 or so apiece. Selection is limited: Mixture Scottish, Mixture Modern, Virginia No. 1, and a couple others. Only tin I've seen here was McB vanilla flakes. No English or Balkan blends to be found, so I had to order from the U.S. just to check out some blends with Latakia. A couple G.L. Pease blends, 3 Oaks Syrian, and I threw in some Aged Burley Flakes, some Low Country Waccamaw, and some others while I was at it, just to start exploring. Shipping isn't cheap, though, and Peruvian customs is no fun, either, but it's worth it!
I think I saw in the earthquake thread that you're in Mexico? What's the selection like there?

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, that would be great to be able to get together and have a smoke, try out some new blends. I'm in Lima now, just to clarify. I started out in Arequipa but for some reason I wanted to be where all the action is. Now I'm more inclined to move back to someplace quieter, but my wife's from Lima, so... we've ended up here, for now. As for pipes, I guess I don't really know, haha. Just sort of starting to get a feel for my tastes. I've had my eye on some shapes that you can't get down here (everything is a brandy/apple, with the occasional Dublin, it seems like), like a Rhodesian/bulldog or poker or billiard, straight or slightly bent. But whatever is easiest would be equally appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.