What is the flavour profile of Oriental Izmir tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
Is it peppery spicy, is it nutty, what is it?
I've always akin-ed oriental to a floral taste (more tang). Now i'm starting to think that was the red virginias. So what flavours do orientals (Izmir) add?

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I find it slightly sweet and very nutty. You can get Izmir from SPC very cheaply. Try some yourself. I smoke it occasionally by itself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's been a while since I've had Izmir blending tobacco, but it seems to have some mellow spice components that make it stand out from Virginia, burley, or Latakia, for me. It also has the ability to layer in with these other flavors so it "sings" in there without taking over.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Taste is a funny thing. I find I get an almost sweet and sour flavor profile from Izmir. Especially when mixed with a bright Virginia.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I get the sweet and nutty profile too. I got a load during the C&D megasale on SPC.
Tip o' the hat to Rothnh for introducing me to it, long ago, where ever he may roam.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I suck at describing tobacco but all I can say about Izmir is that it is one of the more bland Turkish tobaccos out there.It is still good, just on the low end for taste.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
For me, Izmir has a bright, zingy floral taste with something that is a little bit cigar-like -- kind of like a Macanudo or a cigar with a claro wrapper. It always seems to stand out in a blend of VAs or VA and Perique.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Here's a thread from a while back
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/smyrna

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
I bought the c&d izmir from 4noggins
Will this blend do for my latakia what a balkan tastes like? I'd like to get some, but very minimal, balkan notes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
For me, Izmir has a bright, zingy floral taste with something that is a little bit cigar-like
That is a pretty good description actually. Definitely bright, you could also say spicy.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I've found that Izmir tastes just like Izmir.
Sablebrush2 is right even if I though he was being cute. Straight Izmir tastes to me like a slightly sour (in lieu of a better word) Virginia. Given that it has a Virginia pedigree that is no surprise. Low nicotine and less tangy than a Virginia. Sometimes some herbal notes come through (like rosemary) but not heavily or constantly - mostly toward the end of the bowl. I only smoked it straight twice (once went I got my blenders and last night to answer this topic better). I do not recommend straight smokes of it. It rasped my tongue a bit.

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
I've heard it is often mixed with latakia. What proportion should izmir be mixed with latakia to get a mild balkany taste? Is it 50/50?

Status
Not open for further replies.