What is the best way to age Dunhill Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2015
Minnesota,
I am planning to order a few tins of Dunhill Flake to age for some years. I have been reading about tobacco aging, aerobic and anaerobic, and I don't think I understand what is best.
Would you recommend leaving the tins sealed or jarring them to introduce oxygen?
Thanks.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Leave it in the tins. Store it at a reasonably stable 70°F, and in a dry environment to avoid rust.

The single greatest noticeable improvement with occur at about 6 months. Other aging milestones are

roughly at: 1yr., 2yrs., 5yrs., 10yrs., etc.; but these longer periods don't have the same impact as

that first 6 months.
If you're really interested in the biological processes, check out this post which cites kashmir's observations.

Mar 1, 2014
It's not like they sealed them with Argon or anything, the conditions at the time the tin was sealed will be roughly the same as if you stick it in a jar.
The primary issue is the quality of the container.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The best way to age is with patience. No point in taking it out of the tin.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I'm still fairly new to the pipe world, but I have read from multiple members on here that square tins dont seal as well as round tins, and that there have been multiple cases of rust with square tins. Might be something to consider since I know Dunhill flake is In square tins, but someone with more knowledge and experience may have better insight in this.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Square tins don't hold up as well as round. The pressure around the perimeter isn't going to be equal, as with a round screw top tin. Last month, at a meeting of the Los Angeles Pipe Club, we had an impromptu Bengal Slices throw down between the new STP release and the original. A member brought in two unopened rectangular tins of Bengal Slices from his cellar. The tins were in beautiful shape, looking like they had just come off the shelf. We popped the top and found the contents had dried out. Of course, the Lat had faded, but it was made worse by the dehydration.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have a ton of Dunhill Flake and various other blends in square tins. I do not think you need to seriously worry unless you are talking 30 plus years. If you are going to lay it down for 5 years or so, square tins will be more than fine.
Make sure, as stated above, to keep them in a dark, dry place with very constant temperature. This should avoid any problems with you aging tobacco. And if your are really worried, just check your seals by gently pulling on the lid. If she pops, put it in a mason jar.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
To further Northenneil's suggestion, be sure to check the vacuum seals on all the tins as soon as you open the package. Invariably, I lose one or two vacuum seals (especially on those square tins) do to shipping with every large order.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I lose one or two vacuum seals (especially on those square tins) do to shipping with every large order.
Excellent point. Unless wrapped in paper, square tins tend to become little projectiles during shipping.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think temperature changes during storage may contribute to the failure of the seal on square tins (any tins, really).

In any event, if you're really worried about it, why not run a bead of wax around the lip of the cover? Can't hurt, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.