What Is The Best Alcohol With A Pipe In The Evening Time ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I am going to try a bourbon called "Jefferson's Reserve" while watching some alien mess on TV tonight. I was wondering what you guys might like to drink with your favorite tobacco blend.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It depends on the tobacco....I like Lagavulin or Laphroiag with Balkan blends, I prefer Bourbon with Burleys, Pussers rum is quite nice with certain Virginas and I like beers and ales with lighter English mixtures. However I drink iced tea or water most of the time, I really only drink alcohol with my pipes when I have time to really settle in and relax.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Jefferson is a nice bourbon. I will be opening a fresh bottle of bourbon myself tonight.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I think red wine is terrible with just about any tobacco. I don't know why.
Never really drink white wines.
I don't do beers, lagers, stouts, porters, ales, or IPA's. (Hops is not my friend, apparently.)
Also don't do clear liquor. Bleck.
I like Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum with sweet Virginia Flakes, and a good Scotch or Irish whiskey with English blends, and dark flakes like ODF.

Aug 14, 2012
Most drinks are good with a smoke. My preference is J Walker double Black, neat. Also consider Bourbon, Cognac, Meyer's Rum, a heavier beer.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Philobeddoe I don't have that much experience. I will read yours a few times I am glad you chimed in :)

gphenry I also got a bottle of "Blanton's the original single barrel" ever hear of it . I haven't opened it yet.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
I have been known to sip a little Sheep Dip on the porch but best, who knows.

Mar 31, 2014
I like an old vine zinfandel with all latakia blends. Cleans my palate for each puff and doesn't hurt my tongue the way a carbonated beer can, when I smoke. I've never enjoyed heavy alcohols. And, weighing in at 110lbs, they don't like me, either.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
An Islay single malt. Lagavulin 16 being the very best of the best choices.
Smoke plus smoke. Ahhhh.

Jun 4, 2014
The one thing you don't want is for your drink of choice to overpower the tobacco. To me aged rum goes nice with a VaPer, but a peaty Scotch, Rye or a super hoppy IPA would be to much. Change that to a latakia heavy blend now Scotch, Bourbon, Rye and robust beers come into play. In the end its all personal taste, buy some of the tiny airplane bottles, experiment and have fun.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm not much of a spirits kinda guy, I prefer beers (preferably wheats or saisons) but when I do drink liquor it's Maker's Mark.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Hey guys, I wanted to post this picture of these single barrel bourbons. They cost me a fortune but they will last me forever. I think! :)

bourbon-600x450.jpg

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
A spiced rum is intriguing...will try.
Sailor Jerry. It's a tribute to Norman Collins, a famous tattooer of sailors, and a known pipe smoker. Can't really go wrong.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Alcohol? Whatever is in the glass, I guess. I prefer iced green tea or ice water usually. I'm surprised to see no one has suggested Irish whiskey.
-Jason

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bourbon is a nice crisp accompaniment, on ice a little colder than I might enjoy by itself. Beer coats the mouth

way too much. Wine tends to compete with tobacco flavors and block at least some of a good blend. Scotch

has a litte too much going on in itself and makes me want the drink or the pipe but not both. Black or green

tea sans alcohol is often the best.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
My tastes in alcohol and tobacco pairings are somewhat polar opposite. On the one hand, I like a nice, hoppy, somewhat piney/bitter IPA. On the other hand, I like a sweet liqueur like Jack Daniels Honey or 43 over ice.
I agree with previous posters that wine makes a poor pairing, for the reasons already stated. Too much going on. However, I used to always enjoy a Port with a cigar and I've been experimenting with Port as an accompaniment to certain pipe tobacco blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.