banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What is the Aromatic you keep in your Rotation?

(48 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by ebnash
  • Latest reply from brooklynpiper
  1. ebnash

ebnash

Login to Send PM

At the moment, I really only smoke one aromatic in a dedicated briar. Typically, this is a once in a blue moon smoke, but I’ve discovered that I can smoke this in my truck occasionally on the commute home and ithe smell clears pretty quickly.

For the most part, I smoke Burley Flakes and a few Straight Va’s, but I do still enjoy a bowl of Hiland’s Pete’s Moss.

Is there an aromatic that has stayed in your rotation or cellar for occasional smoke, and if so, what is it? I’m curious to try something else as my current jar of PM is almost gone.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  2. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

I’m not an aro guy either, but keep a few on hand for when the mood strikes. Country squire old Toby, macbaren hh vanilla flake, C&D autumn evening, ole shanandoah Appalachian berry/brandy berry whatever it’s called now. For UK style lakelands I like gl pease Stonehenge, ennerdale by G&H. A few others.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm mostly into Virginia, VaPers, and Burley blends. I still have a jar of Lane's 1Q laying around the cellar that I'll break out from time to time. I still enjoy the flavor and the wife loves the room note.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lane BLWB
    Ennerdale flake
    Edward G Robinson pipe blend

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I smoke many Lakeland Aros but those are thier own class. I like Vanilla Custard, petestoke Cherry.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Non-aro and burley are first with me, but Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (with Virginia and three liqueurs for flavoring) seems to get re-ordered. I have several other aromatic blends that I smoke from time to time.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy several aromatics, but the one that I always keep in stock and enjoy on a daily basis is MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut. Here's the link on Tobacco Reviews: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/714/mac-baren-vanilla-cream-loose-cut

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Scotty's Butternut Burley

Jason
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have the following aromatics in my cellar.
    Peterson University Flake
    Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake
    John Aylesbury Dragon Flake
    Cult Blood Red Moon
    Sutliff Molto Dolce

Harris
    Posted 2 months ago #
  10. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I have a few aromatics that I smoke. The ones that get the most attention are:

Cult Blood Red Moon
    Mac Baren Vanilla Cream
    My Own Mix - April Morning

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 2 months ago #
  12. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like GL Pease's The Virginia Cream, which to my mind is just baaarely an aromatic.

I've been meaning to try Butternut Burley and Trout Stream for years. Really need to pull the trigger on those.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 2 months ago #
  13. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

Autumn Evening.
    Really like this maple thing.
    It's a smooth, round sort of taste which goes very well with tobacco.

I also have some Virginia Cream and Trout Stream in the cellar but haven't tried them yet.

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

My last two tins of Nording Hunter's Blend Labrador are going fast. That was my fave. Unfortunately, being a mclelland product, its likely gone forever. But I like CAO Eileen's Dream as well.

Outside of that our local B&M (G & P) makes a nice aro called Stoney's blend. With Alaska's absurd 120% tobacco tax, it's like $6 an oz, but I like to support the local shop when I can anyway, because they often get blends I can't find on the internet (bought some stonehaven and penzance there yesterday, squadron leader in bulk last week).

I also keep some Lane 1Q and trout stream/anglers dream around, and I have a few more in the cellar ready to try, Autumn evening, Ole shenandoah berry, rattray's bagpipers dream and buckingham, etc. I am mostly a Va/VaPer and English guy though, so the aromatics only get hit about once a month in rotation. Probably crack that buckingham next, it sounds intriguing.

Short story long, I'd stick with Stoney's blend, but since that's local I'll say CAO Eileen's Dream if I had to pick one.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 2 months ago #
  15. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've smoked pounds of Butternut Burley over the years, but for me it has changed. It has turned bitter and the sweetness I remember from years ago is no longer there. It may be a go to blend for many and I don't discourage others from smoking it, but for some reason I'm having problems with the blend. Tastes change, so maybe I'll try some in a few years if it's still around.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As for Aromatics, Any G&H Lakelands style does for me nicely Yet Erinmore Flake and St Brunos.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 months ago #
  17. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many, many aromatics in the rotation. Edward G. Robinson, Cult Blood Red Moon as mentioned above are favorites. A current favorite that's been getting a lot of my attention recently is W.O. Larsen 1864, a tobacco-forward mixed fruit-cocoa with some spiciness with an ambient note that has solicited an unusual number of compliments, even from strangers.

Non-aro and burley are first with me, but Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (with Virginia and three liqueurs for flavoring) seems to get re-ordered.

This is good stuff, a meat-and-potatoes aro I smoked almost exclusively for weeks. I buy this by the tub!

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Edward G. Robinson blend bears repeating, also one of jiminks favored aromatics. If you kind of like to go with an outlier now and then, Embers put a few of us onto Mixture No. 79, formerly completely a "joke" blend, but if you tolerate licorice flavoring, it is a tobacco forward blend and not bad. Erin Go Braugh is a nice whiskey blends, and C'est La Vie is a nice version of vanilla.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. ormazd

ormazd

Login to Send PM

I enjoy a 50/50 mix of Lane 1Q and BCA.

Posted 2 months ago #
  20. cachimbero

cachimbero

Login to Send PM

I always have some Ennerdale flake at hand. This reminds me I haven´t smoked any in a couple of months...

Posted 2 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Esoterica Woodbridge - weekly at least
    SG Grousemore - monthly at most

SWRA was decent, but I haven't bought a pouch in about 8 years.

I don't know if the above count though, since I dry those ribbon cut blends until crispy and there's not much topping left when finally lit.

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have yet to try Mixture No. 79. I'm going to have to sometime ...

There's another I probably didn't toss out because it's one I go through more of in the winter ... War Horse Green! Talk about an aromatic crumble cake that just might kick your ass! Though you'll get a more specific list of flavor components from others, to me the overall effect is something akin to German/western European Christmas spices on top of dense burley and virginia. Opinions are polarized with this one, but I just love it; the most exciting new smoke experience I'd had in a couple decades.

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay, I salute you, brother.

Like Jay, I keep Black Frigate in my rotation.... and many others. I could type up a long list but I'm feeling lazy.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 months ago #
  24. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (Dan)
    Sillem's Black
    Cult Blood Red Moon
    G&H Top Black Cherry

And I have a few tins of McClelland Best In Show left in the cellar. I smoke that when company or nonsmokers are around and I need it to smell good. People love the smell.

Neal
    Posted 2 months ago #
  25. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

Aromatics are not my go to blends but I always keep a couple in rotation for a change of pace, Ennerdale Flake is always one and normally one other which varies, at the moment it's Kohlhase & kopp Pipe 66.

Chris

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I, too, am a Lakeland aro devotee. They are my go-to blends. Peretti also makes some great old-time aros. Finally, I routinely smoke a mix of War Horse Ready Cut and Red.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 2 months ago #
  27. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

I hit on all genres but, GH Ennerdale Flake and GH Top Black Cherry are the two aros that I frequent the most.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 2 months ago #
  28. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

I am a big aromatic fan.

Some of my favorites:

Mac Baren 7 Seas Regular
    Scotty's Butternut Burley
    Newminster Danish Gold
    Country Squire Rivendell
    Edward G. Robinson Pipe Blend
    Brigadier Black Waterloo
    G & H Black and Brown

Posted 2 months ago #
  29. ebnash

ebnash

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all suggestions. I do have a can of EGR and have smoked it a few times. It’s the only thing I can smoke with Lat. and tolerate.

Mac Baren Vanila Cream came up a few times and sounds intriguing, so I’ll give the Flake version a shot.

Posted 2 months ago #
  30. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

Black Frigate

Grousemoor - but I dedicate a couple of pipes for this one to avoid ghosting others. I get the feeling that Grousmoor is a controversial one and not like by a lot of people (something to do with the Lemon Grass).

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Peter Stokkebye Optimum is nice and fruity.

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. troyniss

troyniss

Login to Send PM

The only aromatics I've tried are Captain Black Original and a house blend from Pauls Pipe Shop of Flint called Maple Walnut. I've since mylar bagged the Captain Black as I don't see me smoking it anytime soon.

The Maple Walnut blend smells divine, like waffles drenched in maple syrup. The flavor doesn't quite transition into the smoke as much as I thought but it is a lovely aroma regardless.

I've got some MacBaren Vanilla Flake and GL Pease The Vanilla Creme waiting for me back in the USA when I go home for vacation in August, although I'm not sure I'll open them.

Posted 2 months ago #
  33. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

I like tobacco-forward aromatics, especially ones that are topped with liqueurs. Two that I really enjoy right now are Comoy's Cask #2 Portwood, with a little chocolate and vanilla and flavored with port wine, and Peter Stokkebye's Highland Whiskey. I'm not limited to this type, however, and just bought a pound of Scotty's Butternut Burley!

Posted 2 months ago #
  34. davidy97

davidy97

Login to Send PM

Lane Dark Red

Posted 2 months ago #
  35. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've sung the praises of Rattray's Bagpiper's dream often enough here. It continues to satisfy and remains in my rotation after 10 years of my discovering it.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

raybrown55

Login to Send PM

To me Rattray's Bagpiper's dream and Buckingham are great aromatics, but I much like Mac Baren Original Choice too

Posted 2 months ago #
  37. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake

Posted 2 months ago #
  38. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may not keep it in rotation, but last November, I went through a 4 oz. cake of LJ Peretti's Thanksgiving Blend. I enjoyed it and will likely repeat it some day.

Posted 2 months ago #
  39. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

I'm going to put my choices into 2 categories: Aromatics, and AROMATICS. You probably know what I mean.

For Aromatics, I'll cast another vote for Bagpiper's Dream. Recently I picked up some Esoterica Pembroke and I like it a lot...FMC got me started on aros with latakia, so I'm on the lookout for those. Peterson Irish Oak is a favorite that I plan to keep around on the regular.

For AROMATICS: Haven't tried a huge number of AROMATICS. I like Ashton Guilty Pleasure as well as Rattray's Summer '18 and Summer '14.

I think Mac Baren Scottish Mixture should be on my list somewhere, but I'm not sure where. The GF doesn't like the smell of that one, but she likes Black Irish X. She doesn't smell smells like the rest of us, I think. She always thinks milk smells sour even if it's fresh, for example. She doesn't like MM 965 either, so its demise may have saved our relationship since I love the stuff.

Honorable mention: Sutliff Buttered Rum, for its mixing abilities. I like it with Three Nuns myself.

Since I first picked up a pipe, I considered myself a non-aro smoker and smoked English blends and Va/Pers petty much exclusively. Recently I discovered that I do, in fact, enjoy good aros. It turns out that I just don't like Captain Black.

Posted 2 months ago #
  40. samuelgawith01

samuelgawith01

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once in a while Captain Black "Black Sea"a smokey Latakia aro. I presently have some Davidoff "Virginia" aromatic that I purchased in the UAE one night, after a few drinks.I bolstered this up with some C&D
    Burley Flake #1. Davidoff markets some blends that we never see advertised here at home, such as the "Virginia",and the "Malawi".

Posted 2 months ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do Dark Plug and Watch City Slices count? Cuz, those.

Posted 2 months ago #
  42. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It'd be a long list; most of my rotation is aromatic. Better question is which non-aro I keep in my rotation.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  43. elasmo

elasmo

Login to Send PM

Rattray - Exotic Orange and Sleepy Hollow for me.

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

mithrandir

Login to Send PM

Wild Hare

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. tenton

tenton

Login to Send PM

Molto Dolce is the only aromatic I smoke lately as it's the only aromatic my wife likes the aroma of.

She says it smells sophisticated, whatever that means. Anyway it has a decent aroma and zero bite.

Want to try Sutliff Creme Brulee as I've read it's very similar as Molto Dolce, but lots cheaper.

Also going to order Country Squire Parsons Blend as I think it may be similar to a blend I used to buy decades ago.

Posted 1 month ago #
  46. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ennerdale/Grasmere, GLP The Vanilla Cream, and occasionally Ill smoke some Deep Hollow or Holiday Spirit.

Posted 1 month ago #
  47. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

I like Rattrays Exotic Passion a good bit.

There's also an aromatic I get at a B&M that's special. And no, I know it's not 1Q.

Posted 1 month ago #
  48. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

For aromatics, 1Q + BCA is all right . . . but have you tried Opium?

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, tonym99, armonts, lightxmyfire, greeneyes, charmcitygentleman, seldom, the85boro, orlandofurioso, p40warhawk, bluegrassbrian, dukdalf, lawdawg, voorhees, civilwar, generalzod