Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Hey all, I'm not a pipe smoker but will be soon. I've acquired a new pipe and there's this little cylindrical piece of wood with metal on one end in the stem. It slides out quite easily. But I have no idea what it is. I've been searching all over the web and looking up photos and I see nothing else like it. Any help for this total newbie would be appreciated.
Edited by Kevn: Title fixed.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@rothnh
Exactly right, you beat me to the punch.
@anthonyrosenthal
Make your search for "Brighams' Rock Maple Filtering System". It will give you all the info you need. Have a look at this site below.
http://www.brighampipes.com/The%20Brigham%20Pipe%20Filter.htm

Jan 8, 2013
I looked at the link, and it is similar. But the cylinder isn't quite as long, and the metal piece is narrower than the wood. I have to assume it's basically the same concept but by a different pipe maker. Thanks

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for joining and posting up Anthony.
Please check rule #9 at the bottom here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/forum-rules-read-before-posting-please-1
I fixed the title for you.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Over the years I have owned many filtered pipes either 9 mm or 6 mm and have found they all smoke great without the filter. In my opinion filters take away from the flavor of your tobacco and are not needed. Just one guys two centavos.

Jan 8, 2013
Thank you, Kevin. I must not have realized I did not capitalize the title. Terrible grammar from someone who is supposed to be writing a novel. I am sorry about that, and thanks for the heads up. As of now, I have my pipe, my pipe tool, some pipe cleaners, and of course the tobacco. I've watched countless videos on Youtube, and I'm getting ready to smoke my pipe for the first time. Wish me luck everyone.

Jan 8, 2013
Well my first smoke turned out quite well. Had to relight twice, but the smoke lasted just short of an hour. I don't really know if that's good or not, but it was quite enjoyable.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Sounds like you did great. Welcome aboard. Don't mind the relights. I'm sure we all have to relight at least twice most of the time. A one hour smoke is great for the soul. Glad you enjoyed it. I myself am enjoying a bowl of Black House right now. I'm finally learning to taste the goodness in it. It seems to have a bit of everything in it, Latakia, Kentucky, Virginia, Black Cavendish, Oriental, and Turkish. The only thing it's missing is Perique. Most of the guys here love it.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks. I may have to try and find that somewhere. The smoke shop nearby seems to have a pretty limited supply of tobaccos; Captain Black, and then their value blends. I may have to try and find some tobaccos online. Which brings up my next newbie question. Can you buy tobacco online?

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Just saw in another post that pipesandcigars.com is offering a 20% discount if you use "blackblood" (no quotes) for a coupon code when purchasing Black House. Blackbloods is what all the Black House fans here call themselves. The discount is extended to all the Hearth and Home line which is what Black House is. The sale only last for a week, but you better hurry these guys here will buy it all up! That's a great deal! Answer to your question... yes you can buy on line.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Anthony, welcome to the forums, and to the wonderful world of luxury pipe tobacco. In addition to this

flagship website, spend some time at LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com to learn more about the many varieties

of tobacco. The left hand column of the home page there has tobaccos grouped by category.

ScreenShotLTR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.