What is that gray coating inside a new pipe bowl?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Former Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubificus

Lurker
Mar 30, 2014
SoCal
I am relatively new to pipe smoking, so please bear with me. One fool can ask more questions in an hour than ten wise men would answer in a year. So, I recently bought on eBay a cheapish but funny looking briar pipe (here is a link to the page, while it lasts). The pipe is new unsmoked. What got me worried is that the inside of the bowl is lined with some type of dark grey (or, better put, steel-colored) coating. You can probably see the color on the right-most photograph on the auction page, a view from the top. Briar pipes that I bought before had just their wooden surface exposed inside. The coating actually looks like film, or maybe thick paint, and it partially covered the draft hole. I even had to poke it through to get the hole completely uncovered.
Has anyone seen such a thing before? I am a bit wary of getting vapors of that into my mouth. I though I would rather scrape it clean, but I would like to ask forum's opinion first.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
It's called carbonisation. It's basically a carbon based lining so you supposedly don't have to 'break it in' the same way you might with a bare bowl. It's harmless, and can help quite a lot if youre a new smoker. Probably just a bit of a production error if it blocked the hole.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
A well made pipe might have a bowl coating that helps break in the pipe. This coating is non-toxic and it WON'T cover the draft hole.
I'm not familiar with your pipe though. From the grain it does NOT look like briar; perhaps olive wood, perhaps something else. Be careful.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"This pipe is made in Greece from genuine briarwood." Not to be mean about it, but this is not how retailers of

quality pipes talk about their product. I think you have a good questions: what is that material that more than

half new pipes have coating the inside of the bowl? I think it might be difficult to get a straight answer from

the best of pipe companies. I suspect different pipe makers use different products, some more innocuous than

others. Most of the pipes I've bought with a coating seem to have a fairly dark material, so this gray inside your

bowl may not be the same. Good luck in discovering what it might be. Greece makes some good pipes. I have

a PTM Amadeus, just a low-level pipe, but light weight and promising to be a good smoker. Hope yours proves

the same.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Good article on this subject:
http://www.pipecrafter.com/articles/bowlcoatings.php

nubificus

Lurker
Mar 30, 2014
SoCal
anglesey: Thanks, I figure out this is to protect the bowl. Carbonization is rather a process, and, depending on what carbonizes, may or may not produce unpleasant chemicals in process. For example, sugars in honey have a gross formula of (CH2О)_n, and under heating break down into C, the carbon to line the bowl, and H2O, just water. There's a reason they are called carbohydrates! Very safe and neutral indeed. But other organics may whiff off nitrogen oxide, ammonia and other nasties when decomposing under heating.
mso489: Yes, I know it's a cheap pipe. I liked the shape though, and also needed a pipe I can part with, as the camping season nears, but still better than a corncob. The box has a "KSI" logo and a model number on it; the brand is mentioned on this very forum once. Unfortunately, nowhere else on the 'Net. :|
mrjerke: not the first, heaven save! My first was Brigham Heritage, still a favorite one, and I am thanking myself to this day for breaking my piggybank to get it!
Thanks everybody for all the links and ideas. This is my first post here, and the response speed and rate and overall helpfulness is overwhelming. Thank you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.