PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Where do such flavours come from? Can these be obtained without Latakia or Orientals? Any recommendations for really musty or earthy blends (without the aforementioned tobaccos)?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
^^ Yep, stuff that in your smipe and poke it to get that earthy and musty taste. :lol:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Burley can be earthy but is usually tempered by being nutty / bread-like at the same time.
As you mentioned, SOME Orientals can often provide a musty flavor, but some are quite floral instead.
Semois will yield the experience of both earthy AND musty.
If you don't have any and would like to try it please feel free to PM me.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"What is "musty" or "earthy" flavour?"
What came to mind when I read the title of this thread is William P. Solomon's Presbyterian Mixture. In my review of this Mixture on TobaccoReviews.com I stated:
"To paraphrase "The Most Interesting Man in the World" who appears occasionally in television commercials for a certain brand of beer, "I don't often smoke English blends, but when I do I prefer Presbyterian Mixture!" To me, it epitomizes the phrase "classic English pipe-tobacco."
The aroma in the tin is delicious: wet leathery, smokey, late fall-woods musty sweet, and cow-barn-like ripe. It's one that, if it could be transubstantiated, I would happily chew on for hours in the same manner that my dog worries her favorite marrow bone.
Presbyterian Mixture's appearance is pleasing, too. Remove the cardboard cover beneath the lid, peel back the clear plastic inner wrap, and you will find substantial strands together with ponderous pieces of light-to-dark brown Virginia leaf, intermixed with Latakia tips that are almost black. It's typically moist, not overly so, but does benefit from some drying prior to use. This is a hefty-looking amalgam that promises solid smoking pleasure.
It does not disappoint. Using the Frank method to fill the bowl of a favorite Savinelli Oscar, it provides me with a good hour of English ecstasy. I find that this tobacco is at its best when smoked SLOWLY, but then aren't they all? I don't mean that you should sip it. Rather, take a deep draught every minute or two and let it drizzle out of your mouth. Take your time as you contemplate its manifold charms and it will reward you. Become distracted (or simply give in to gluttony) and puff too fast, and it will both bite and kick. Nicotine is here in abundance, but will behave if you treat this mixture with gentleness and respect.
Without drying I typically need only two pipe-cleaners per bowl; with drying only one. This tobacco reduces to a fine grey-white ash with little dottle. The room note is comforting in the same manor (pun intended) as that of an old, familiar, and favorite hunting lodge, cabin, or library.
This is a fine English tobacco mixture, and I give it my highest benediction. Amen."
The presence (or not) of Latakia in this Mixture is a subject of debate. Some claim that it has it, others claim there is none. I fall into the former camp. In any event, it is certainly NOT a "Latakia bomb" by any odds.
I hope that you find this to be useful.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The presence (or not) of Latakia in this Mixture is a subject of debate
I don't think it's really a debate anymore. TR, P&C, SP, etc... all list Latakia as an ingredient.

Also, there is this tidbit that I had found in the past:
As there continues to be controversy over the question of whether Presbyterian Mixture contains Latakia, the following quote from page six of the blender's 2008 catalogue should leave the matter settled: "Extraordinarily soft blend of finest US Virginia grades and a number of selected Latakia

leaf tips. Ideal mixture also for beginners with English tobaccos."
Presbyterian Mixture also contains Orientals ... strike two for the OP.
Your description DOES make me want a pipe-full of it right now though! :puffy:

jlawitzke

Lurker
Oct 28, 2014
Bellevue, MI
I find 'earthy' sometimes in Virginias. I note earthy along with tones of leather in Escudo.
To me, earthy and musty are two different flavors. I've never found a 'musty' Virginia. I've only found 'musty' Latakias.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
To me, 'earthy' or 'musty', as it were, most definitely brings to mind Latakia. However, the OP stated that he doesn't wish the blend to contain Latakia, and or Oriental tobacco, so... ? As far as a Virginia that is the furthest thing that would come to mind as a 'musty' or 'earthy' tasting tobacco in my mind. More like a fresh, and or grassy/citrus taste which would be the exact opposite of 'musty'. But, that's just my take on it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What one perceives as musty depends on personal mouth chemistry and the volatile organics being tasted/smelled.

If you go to a deli or oriental grocery where dried black mushrooms are sold, the pungent, sometimes almost yeasty

and gamey odors they emit are what I call musty.
I can understand why you wouldn't want Latakia because of its smokiness, but Orientals shine when it comes to producing mustiness. Virginia blends with Izmir often produce a wonderful musty taste for me. But I find this taste more frequently in blends that contain Perique. IMO the following blends have a musty component that drifts in and out during the smoke in a most intriguing way:
  • 4noggins' Prairie Wind; Cool Hand Fluke

Hearth & Home Signature Series LJ Heart Burley

Cornell & Diehl Bayou Morning;

Two Friends Redwood

Rattray's Marlin Flake; Hal O' The Wynd

Peterson Hyde Park

Esoterica Dunbar

McClelland Collector's Series Beacon

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I had some "Ridin' the Raid" from C&D that went moldy on me years ago and I tried to salvage it and smoke it. It was earthy and musty for sure but I sure didn't enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.