PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piper50

Lurker
Feb 25, 2014
I like the blends like Dunhill 965, G.L. Pease Odyssey, G.L. Pease Gaslight, Etc.. I've tried lots of different things that I like, But I'm not sure what type of Tobacco I'm tasting. Is it Virginia, Oriental, Cavendish, Perique,... How do I learn to distinguish?

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Is it Virginia, Oriental, Cavendish, Perique,... How do I learn to distinguish?
I went to my local B&M last week and sitting in a bulk container was some Latakia. Not sure if it was Syrian or Cyprian, but I will ask next time. I have only been smoking a pipe for 6 months. I now prefer only English blends, with the exception of Erinmore Flake. I have read about gentlemen here who smoke Latakia straight. Well the tobacconist was kind enough to pinch several bowls worth in a baggie for me to sample, so I smoked it solo. It was like a light came on. I have tried straight Virginias, Burleys and now Latakia and it was like the flavor profiles of my preferred tobaccos all became clear and distinct. He does not carry Perique, but I would recognize that anywhere now. I strongly suggest you sample tobaccos straight up so you can appreciate them even more when they are blended. It worked for me. Happy smoking!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you get to trying Perique straight, I'd suggest you smoke only a small part of the bowl, or in a really

small -- like a Group 1 -- pipe. It's not meant to be smoked alone. Even Lat is a little heady, but worth

the sampling.

piper50

Lurker
Feb 25, 2014
I'm going to try them straight up. Last evening I opened a tin of G.L. Pease Odyssey - I think I know Latakia!

Status
Not open for further replies.