What Is in This Tobacco That I Don't Like?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shade91

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Hello!
Recently started this fascinating pipe smoking hobby. I went to a well-reputed shop in Montreal and started with their own mild aromatic blends, and went by a few days ago to try something English. The gentleman suggested two that were good to start with, which were Peterson - Balkan Delight & Samuel Gawith - Balkan Flake.
I've tried both. While I enjoy the Balkan Flake, I found the Balkan Delight to have an odd sort of taste. I attribute this to being new at pipe smoking, and especially as this is not an aromatic, it might take getting used to. I noticed however that there was a specific taste, almost as if I were smoking a used sock, that I could only detect in the Delight; none of it in the Flake.
For those of you who may be familiar with these blends, what should I avoid when purchasing my next blend, in order to avoid that old foot taste?
I would also appreciate any recommendations for my next blend; something possibly a little more sweet than the Balkan Flake.
Thanks!

May 4, 2015
Probably Perique if I were to guess.
I'd go for Dunhill 965 or Frog Morton Cellar if you're looking for something slightly smoky but with a sweetness.

May 4, 2015
I bought a bunch of blending perique for the first time a couple years ago and shoved my face in the bag and almost fell over.
As much as I love to smoke it, to my nose it smells like fermented fish.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
According to tobaccoreviews.com, Balkan Flake consists of Virginia and Latakia whereas Balkan Delight consists of Virginia, Latakia and Perique. So my guess is with Tom, most likely it's the Perique that you are disliking.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
The "old sock" is probably the Latakia. Musty, smoky, leathery, dirt-like are some phrases that have been used to describe its properties and it takes a bit of getting used to if all you have smoked are aromatics. I would think Balkan Delight or Balkan Flake might be a little heavy on the lat. for a first go around. Try Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. Very mild English/Oriental with a good dose of Red Virginia that adds some non aromatic sweetness. I've smoked some heavy Balkan and Latakia bombs in my day but I still go back to EMP on a regular basis. It's just a good, light English blend. :puffy:

shade91

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Thanks everyone!
@loborx -- it's odd, he said Frog Morton and Dunhill were too strong to start off with. So you think it's more likely the latakia and not the perique? I guess I'll have to try something else to confirm.

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
@shade91: It could be the perique but I seem to get a more fruity fig-like or prune smell/flavor from it. Everyone is different though. With English blends you are starting to get your first sense of what "real" tobacco tastes and smells like. Dunhill does make some strong blends but EMP is probably the mildest of the bunch. There is also no perique in it, if that is what turned you off. I'm also surprised you were told Frog Morton was strong. To me, it's almost seems like an aromatic cavendish with some latakia thrown in for smokiness - very mild. Good luck in your search - there's a lot of good things to sample out there. But be careful of TAD - Tobacco Acquisition Disorder - it has a curious effect on the thickness of your wallet. :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In my lexicon "barnyard" is as close as I can get to "old socks." Perique can smell of the barn, but other tobaccos like "La Brumeuse" without perique can also so smell. Although both tobaccos have latakia, I go with it as the culprit varied by the different blending/manipulating techniques of the two houses.
Though I don't find latakia smelly, some, perhaps you, do.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When different types of leaf get combined, flavors often emerge that are not natively present to either. Sort of like how a majority Virginia with a small amount of Perique and Orientals will taste lemony, or how Burley, Virginia and Perique can have an almond-like flavor. It is possibly the combination of those different types, plus whatever else they do to the blend, that brings out the foot fungus odor and flavor of an old sock. The only way to be sure is to actually smoke a filthy old sock and see how it compares. If the nicotine level is high enough I, for one, am interested.

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
:laughat: "If the nicotine level is high enough I, for one, am interested."

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When different types of leaf get combined, flavors often emerge that are not natively present to either.
Brilliant! I've read this from Greg Pease over and again. Flavor is in the interaction, and perhaps by the nose, of the OP.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Well you may be lucky to be prompted to try blends without Latakia or Perique. I like 'em both, but they have become somewhat trite default blending leaf. Try some blends with neither and see if that gets rid of the old socks and finds you some tobacco you thoroughly enjoy.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Though straight Perique does indeed smell like old socks, dead fish and fermented goat meat its taste is something different all together. Plum and figs is a common description along with spicy pepper.
That said, as Brett states above, when different leaves are blended together then all sorts of flavours can be found. It is a credit to the master blenders of this world that they are able to create such incredible flavours with subtle nuances from a variety of leaf types.
Welcome to the forum by the way :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.