Tags:   

What is Frog Morton

(46 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by haroldt
  • Latest reply from beastinview
  1. haroldt

haroldt

Login to Send PM

So I know what an Aromatic tobacco is, and I think I know what an English tobacco is, but what would call tobaccos like Frog Morton?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Transition blends. Great crossovers.

Think of them as English blends with training wheels.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An English blend, with extra whipped cream. Frog Morton blends are a nice alternative, and change from time to time.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a town that hobbits live in.

Or a crossover blend. Take your preference.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. haroldt

haroldt

Login to Send PM

Very good - training Wheels - whip cream! I just went to pipe and cigars web site. It's listed as English.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Latakia blends with toppings are sometimes referred to as "crossover Englishes",but, as you discovered, will be categorized as an English.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

It is a light English and is meant to be a all day smoke .I thought it took four years to master the blend and it contains 21 leafs .But I cannot find the reference so take that with a grain of salt .On the Bayou is considered a Balkan and the new Cellar is a Aromatic .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

igloo:

I'll respectfully disagree with the categorization of "...on the Bayou" as a Balkan. Perique isn't used in any Balkan blend I've ever smoked or seen. (And Louisiana isn't exactly in the Balkan neighborhood geographically either.) A traditional Balkan is an Oriental and Latakia-forward blend, with Virginias in the background -- and nothing else in the mix.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

Here you go , Call Mary and bitch to her . http://www.pipeshowonline.net/index.php?pr=McClelland_FrogMorton

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have never tried any of these blends. I have smelt the tins over the years, not specifically the ones referred to here and they all smell delightful. On the odd occasions I have tried them I am always left with the feeling of 'that was interesting' and never recalling much about the exprience later.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

igloo:

Well, that's why I said I disagreed with you, not that the world did! Although to be fair, that marketing copy does call it a Balkan to which perique was added. That it may well be. But for me, the addition of perique removes it from the "traditional Balkan" category altogether (And it still strikes me as odd that you'd name a so-called Balkan blend after a Louisiana location.)

But I'm kind of a Balkan snob. It's my all-time favorite category of blend. And I think Balkans are truly stellar only when they focus on that unique, creamy marriage of the latakia and the orientals, with the Virginias a distant background player. Any other ingredients -- for me -- are superfluous and unwanted in a Balkan blend.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. psychpipes

psychpipes

Login to Send PM

Think of them as English blends with training wheels.

I love this statement.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

supdog

Login to Send PM

It's my all-time favorite category of blend.

Bob, me too. Have you tried FMOTT? The tin says it's an oriental blend.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. masspiper

masspiper

Login to Send PM

FMOTT is my favorite of all the FM blends.

What the heck is a Frog Morton? Who cares tastes great!!!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. haroldt

haroldt

Login to Send PM

MassPiper - I agree. Ultimately I hope to segregate my pipes and use some for aro, others for English. The frog seem (IMHO) to be a combo of both English and aro. Just wondered if it had a class of its own.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Supdog: I thoroughly enjoy "...on the Town"! I'm also a big fan of the older "...across the Pond," which included Syrian Latakia. (The newer tins don't mention Syrian, so I've assumed they've stopped using it.)

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm still aging my Frog Morton original, but this thread makes me want to pop the tin.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And all this time I thought it was just a village in the East Farthing

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I'm still aging my Frog Morton original, but this thread makes me want to pop the tin."

I've got a tin of the original FM from 2003 that I just can't bring myself to open. I don't know what I'm waiting for, but I just haven't felt the urge.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the grand scheme of things they would all be considered Englishes, but you may elect to put them in to slightly different groups (Balkan, Oriental, etc.). Not many folks would consider a FMC an aromatic since the only thing extra in the mix is the wood stave. If you count it virtually every tobacco in the world that has any kind of casing would be considered an aromatic. And we don't want that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This is the absolute best description of what Frog Morton is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA5ug6mej90

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. masspiper

masspiper

Login to Send PM

I don't know about anyone else but the amount of times he sniffed the baccy and then the description of it smelling like 4 day old underware creeped me out.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. haroldt

haroldt

Login to Send PM

Yea, MassPiper underwear doesn't really get good till the 5th or 6th day.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bob: didn't Greg Pease blow apart the supposed Balkan-English distinction a while back? Balkan Sobranie has quite a bit of Virginia leaf, and London Mixture, sort of a quintessential 'English' blend, has very little. I've taken on his 'latakia blend' umbrella to cover all this, and then describe if it's oriental- or Virginia-forward.

I think of Blackpoint, for instance, as fitting into the 'Balkan blend' tradition, and it includes a little perique. The whole thing is so arbitrary that I think 'latakia blend' is really the only accurate way to describe it, and then list components and influence.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Escioe:
    Yes, Greg wrote an article awhile back in which he laid out his reasons for thinking the term "Balkan" meaningless. Some agreed with him, some didn't. The term "latakia blend" can certainly be used, but many of us have gotten used to "Balkan" and seem capable of using it without much in the way of actual confusion. Personally, I grew up using the terms 'light English," "medium English," and "heavy English," and I wish we still used them because I think they do a better job of describing what needs to be described….But whatever. I am kind of curious as to whether a sea change in how we describe these blends is going to occur because of an article that Greg wrote!

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haroldt:
    People have been debating how to classify Frog Morton for a long time now. I simply describe it as a sweet medium English. Some call it a crossover or even an aromatic, but I'm loathe to do so because I don't believe there is any kind of an aromatic topping or casing added! If there is, I certainly can't detect it. I suspect From Morton's secret has nothing to do with additives but rather everything to do with stoving… But I could certainly be wrong!
    In any case, I also don't agree that it's necessarily a "beginner's English" or English with "training wheels" or something. I think that Frog Morton might well have as much as 50 percent latakia, which puts it more in the category of "lat bomb" LOL. In any case, it IS a nice latakia blend that both beginners and more "advanced" smokers can enjoy.
    Unfortunately, it suffers from the same malady that all McClelland's English blends suffer from -- it is ridiculously mild. McClelland makes a half-dozen English blends that taste like heaven to my taste buds, yet I can't really enjoy them because they are all so mild I get no satisfaction from them whatsoever -- it's the pipe smoker's equivalent of a tease.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. apatim

apatim

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the smell of burning frogs in the morning! --- He had me going in that video. I will definitely use that story.

The first time I smelled Latakia, it smelled like a barnyard to me but I loved the flavor so much that I now find the aroma amazingly pleasant... just smelling it makes my mouth water!

Enjoying my days on earth.

Tim
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Escioe:
    Yes, Greg wrote an article awhile back in which he laid out his reasons for thinking the term "Balkan" meaningless. Some agreed with him, some didn't. The term "latakia blend" can certainly be used, but many of us have gotten used to "Balkan" and seem capable of using it without much in the way of actual confusion. Personally, I grew up using the terms 'light English," "medium English," and "heavy English," and I wish we still used them because I think they do a better job of describing what needs to be described

I agree about light, medium, and heavy, though I would probably say latakia blend rather than English. It's just funny that the archetype of Balkan blends, Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture, had lots of Virginias in it, while most people use Balkan blend to mean something where the Virginias play third fiddle to latakia and oriental leaves. But then I studied philosophy as an undergrad, so this sort of useless hairsplitting is sort of my bread and butter.

Regarding Frog Morton: I think crossover blend works. I don't care for them, really, but to me sweet and latakia don't play well together. Something like Maltese Falcon is too sweet for me, let alone something where the latakia is actually deliberately sweetened.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. ragnar

ragnar

Login to Send PM

Just ordered my first tin of FM Cellar. I hope its good!

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

escioe:

I know opinions differ about what constitutes a Balkan blend. I know Russ Ouellette includes burley in blends that H&H describe as Balkans. Others include perique. But my personal definition -- and the only Balkans I smoke -- are Virginia-based blends in which the orientals and the latakia are both at the forefront. In my experience, those are the only styles of Balkans that develop an indescribably rich creaminess in the smoke. Other ingredients lessen that affect or add unwanted (for me) flavors to the mix.

Not that I have anything against perique or burley or cavendish! I just don't want them in anything I'm smoking that is described as or named a "Balkan" blend. That's nitpicking, probably. But, for me, it would be the same as someone stating that a blend is a straight Virginia, but then they've added perique to it. It's either a straight Virginia or it's a VA/perique; it can't be both.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. verse

verse

Login to Send PM

Just smoked some Cellar for the first time a few days ago...very nice...found it almost too sweet. Can't believe that aging in whiskey barrels can do that...but gotta believe what they say. Does anyone really know the secret to what makes this blend and the other FM's so freak'in good. Technically Cellar is the same as the original Frog Morton...but with the barrel stave...or whiskey flavour. It is a latakia and VA blend. @doctorhoss mentions maybe how they stove it and prepare the leaf...wonder if that's it. Damn good tobacco though. Think the original Froggy is still my favourite.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. saint007

saint007

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ragnar wrote "Just ordered my first tin of FM Cellar. I hope its good!"

You won't be disappointed and Lagertha will love the room note.

I really enjoy Cellar and the original FM. I don't think I will reorder On The Town and Across The Pond when I am done with what I have.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wanting to give this Frogmorton a go I asked my local B&M (Redruth, Cornwall) if he could get hold of any only to hear it is not allowed to be imported into the UK as it is supposed to contain 'nasties' that our glorious government has deemed unfit for human consumption! Yet it is called an 'English blend'!

So, Frogmorton-less I shall have to remain

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 3 years ago #
  34. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd refrain from designating a tobacco a beginner blend. I enjoy several full-strength blends and single-leaf tobaccos and smoke mostly non-aromatics. However, a nicely worked out "transitional" blend, or for my purposes an aromatic that is still tobacco forward, can be just what I want on a particular occasion. The idea that you graduate from very wet flavored sweet aromatics, to more subtle aromatics, to mild non-aromatics, then to full-stength blends only, really seems, well, anal to me. These aren't tickets to be punched, like advancing a career. Smoking at its best is an art and there's room for all kinds of departures, returns, variations and permutations. Sometimes people follow that prescribed path, but mostly they don't. So, what's a Frog Morton? Most people find them a pretty good smoke.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only Frog Morton blend that has a flavoring is Frog Morton's Cellar. That's the only "crossover blend" in the lineup.

The others are Balkan/English blends.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

sthbkr77

Login to Send PM

This has always nagged me. Cellar is an aromatic. It's not a goopy nasty drug store aromatic, but it's an aromatic nonetheless.

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. katarn07

katarn07

Login to Send PM

Great necropost. I freaking love Frog Morton Original. It's my favorite blend and one I keep returning to. I just received the Froggy Went a Courtin' Sampler from P&C and am eager to try out the other blends. This weekend I wasted my smoking time on Prince Albert and Carter Hall. Bleh. They build a nice cake and my new briars need them I guess. But I can't wait to return to Frog.

A question regarding the "Across the Pond" tin. The artwork I see a lot of places online differs from the one I received. Did they change the label? Which is the newer label and which is the older label? Just check out these results to see what I mean:

https://www.google.com/search?q=frog+morton+across+the+pond+review&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivrKCTl4fMAhWJmoMKHatpAvIQ_AUICCgC&biw=1024&bih=633

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. katarn07

katarn07

Login to Send PM

Oops. Double post. Is there a way for users to delete their own double posts? I don't see an option

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You might want to contact Rich at 4noggins.com, he has a lot of experience shipping out of the USA. When I smoked Frog, I liked their Frog on the Bayou best.

Harris
    Posted 3 years ago #
  40. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Morton was Jeremiah's cousin, and the both enjoyed some mighty fine wine.(whilst puffing their pipes)

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 3 years ago #
  41. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"What is Frog Morton?"

I am not certain, but some maintain that it tastes just like chicken!

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 3 years ago #
  42. beastinview

beastinview

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know this is an old thread, but since it has already been resurrected:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I didn't find a huge difference between FMC (the baby crossover of Englishes) and Nightcap (the Grandaddy). FMC wasn't much of a "crossover" in that the aromatic component of it wasn't even initially discernible to me. When I opened the tin I smelled the latakia and thought, "Holy smokes! What have I done! This smells terrible."

Then I smoked it, and actually enjoyed it. Now it is one of my more enjoyable smokes, despite that initial encounter with latakia being a little traumatizing. It was only after smoking it a few times that I could discern any aromatic component, since the latakia is quite the dominant taste toward the beginning of the smoke.

Then I ordered Dunhill Nightcap and expected it to be in another universe than FMC, since everyone said FMC was some mild/crossover/beginner blend.

I certainly found Nightcap stronger than Frog Morton's, but it wasn't THAT much stronger. For me, any presence of Latakia seems fairly dominating, so a little or a lot doesn't necessarily make as much difference as one might think.

I think had I jumped straight to Nightcap instead of FMC, my reaction would have been the same: initial horror at the tin note, only to enjoy the smoke. I actually find the main difference to be that the latakia in Nightcap persists throughout the entire bowl, instead of disappearing as it does in FMC.

Obviously, they are very different smokes--but my point is that a beginner like me who had never tasted latakia couldn't really discern those differences, and even when I did it wasn't those differences that influenced whether or not I liked the blend. Ultimately it was just a question of whether I'd acquire a taste for latakia upon smoking it or not.

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When a non-aro gets boring I toss in a little Lane BCA, and when an aro starts getting cloying I toss in a little Nightcap. Nothing really rocket-science about it, never felt the need to buy someone's so-called crossover blend.

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. cornleader

cornleader

Login to Send PM

I have only tried 3 Froggy blends. Cellar, across the pond and original. I like them all however original is my favorite. Consistent start to finish. I smoke it right down to nothing and the taste is great right to the end. Cellar is very flavorful but the only downside for me is it seems to get a bit nasty at the end of the smoke. ATP isn't bad but meh compared to the other blends I've tried. All similar but different. Defiantly worth a try.

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well that does it, if Frog Morton is comparable to Nightcap then it's just as well it can't be had here in Blighty. Nightcap (and Early Morning Pipe for that matter) tastes somewhat how one would expect a sweaty armpit to taste like

Best I stick to my trusty Condor Ready Rubbed & Long Cut flake

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. beastinview

beastinview

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, "comparable" to Nightcap might be an overstatement, unless you just take the term "comparable" completely in its denotative sense. It is possible to compare the two, as they both have a defining flavor of latakia, but Nightcap is just much, much stronger. I would hazard a guess that most people who have a taste for latakia would enjoy both, and most people who don't like latakia would enjoy neither. That was more my point, I suppose.

On the other hand, Early Morning Pipe is considered a very mild English blend. EMP and Frog Morton's Cellar, though quite different in some respects, would probably be quite comparable in terms of strength and latakia content. The main difference is that FMC has a bit of topping, while EMP doesn't, and EMP has some Oriental leaf, while FMC doesn't.

If you found the smell of EMP terrible, you're probably reacting against the latakia, since that is the dominant and defining flavor and aroma in most English blends. I'd guess you wouldn't be a fan of FMC either.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   clickklick, lloydcole, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow