PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have always wondered what price level is considered high end? Is it 300 and up, 500 and up or is it a grand and up? When I look on Ebay, I have my preferences set to highest price first just to see some of the high end stuff for sale. When I go online to some of the stores where I buy tobacco, I always peruse the pipe section and am amazed at how many expensive pipes are out there. So what do you guys think?

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Before this thread blows up, I'll say this:
High end is what the individual perceives it to be.
For the first few years of pipe smoking for me, I looked at a $200 pipe and blew it off as "High End". Understandably, everyone has their own budgets for what we can spend on ourselves, but for me it took a few years for sticker shock to wear off and to appreciate the huge amount of time and effort that goes into higher dollar products. I don't hesitate as much anymore when making higher dollar purchases.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Like so many aspects of piping, it is entirely personal. You are going to get as many answers and there are replies. I will not pay over $200 but I think that the quality knee in the curve is between $100 and $150. So, for me high end is $300 to $400 and above. :crazy:

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've always perceived a "high end" pipe as something that starts at around $100. Everyone's threshold is different when it comes to what a pipe is worth and what you are willing to spend. The most important is that you enjoy its characteristics no matter how cheap or expensive it is.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Only my pipes are high end, and no one else's. :rofl: Nah, my real answer is, I guess it just depends on the person.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I believe it's mostly a personal thing. For me I start thinking high end when the price gets over $200.00. But you can get great smoking pipes that smoke just as good or better for much less. If a person wants only high end pipes then anything less is going to just not smoke as good to that person, and thats fine. It leaves more old briar cheaper pipes for me. :lol:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Like anything in life, it's personal.
Some consider a BMW high-end, some look down on it. Goes for anything that costs money

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
For me, a "high end" pipe is hand carved with a hand cut stem using high quality materials. These take considerable man-hours and material expense, so we're already around $200. But a "high end" pipe having a unique finish or cut is going to add additional man hours.
So for me, I think I'd put the "high end" mark around $400 - $500.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Bigvan nailed it. To me "high end" has as much to do with construction as price. That means quality briar, a shape that caters to the grain of the block, and especially a handcut stem. There is a world of difference between a well engineered handcut stem and a factory molded stem.

I'll agree with his lowest price and say "High End" can start in the $200+ range and go to maybe $1,000.

Then the "Ultra High End" pipes kick in. I'd put ultra high end as the $1,000-$10,000 pipes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I might take a different tack...

And, while I concur with Lonestar and Bigvan.

I would say that (for me) anything above a Mid-range pipe is to me High-end.

That being said: I would call a Mid-range pipe from $50 to $150...
It's a highly subjective thing.
:puffy:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
+1 to what bigvan said. You really can spend as much as you want in this hobby. I've seen ones that are listed for $6000! More than I'd pay unless I won the lottery 2 or 3 times, but someone will do it! I've been looking to stepping into the high-end arena, but generally being a cheap bastard frugal, I'm stepping carefully!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I realize everyone has their own price threshold as do I. For me I thought of high end as anything north of 4-500 like bigvan. I have noticed over the years that some of my best smokers were estate pieces I got off of Ebay for 100-150.00. I do have some high end pieces and while they do smoke great, it is only their looks that make them different from my less expensive ones.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
My version of high end starts at 400+
The most I've paid so far is $300.00 and to me it was worth every penny. It's an Aaron Beck Freehand that fits in your hands no matter how you hold it just perfectly.

Beck1.jpg

Beck6.jpg

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
well I only have one pipe that I consider high end. It's my 95$ meer. High end for me is anything that costs more than 50$. I think Petes are a nice pipe and that they can be high end even though namy of them are under 100$. Maybe that is just because I am a broke college kid :rofl:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have to concur with the others. It's a relative thing based on your budget. Typically what separates the "high-end" pipes from the "lower-end" pipes is the material and craftsmanship. The more you spend, typically, the better the briar is and better care was taken to shape the briar and fit the stem. The nuances seem to get better the higher up in price you go. But, you can still find good pipes for under $100.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I have to agree with everyone on this one. High end is a personal choice at what price point one walks away from a pipe. is a 700 buck pipe better that a 20 to 30 buck basket pipe? I do not know most expencive pipe I own other then a hadnmade one of a kind is a 80 Pteerson. Keep in mind this is just my oppinion ive smoked a Dunhill once and to me was no different other than fit and finish and I am just a simple country boy who spends more time in the woods hunting or on the lake fishing than anything else.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For me, a "high end" pipe is hand carved with a hand cut stem using high quality materials. These take considerable man-hours and material expense, so we're already around $200. But a "high end" pipe having a unique finish or cut is going to add additional man hours.
So for me, I think I'd put the "high end" mark around $400 - $500.
This would get my vote as the closest thing to an "official" definition of high end briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.